PDA

View Full Version : nForce 7 series...

Pages : [1] 2

Redeemed
04-12-08, 03:31 AM
I'm just curious what you guys think of the nForce 7 series. I'm contemplating getting the 750i... is it worth it? I'm more concerned about stability than over-clockability. I'm looking to purchase a Q6600. I currently have the Intel BadAxe mobo... but it's limited to CrossFire. Would be nice to keep SLi if possible.

So, what do ya'll think about the nForce 7 series... especially the 750i?

Amuro
04-12-08, 06:16 AM
Just ask Zapablast05 how he likes his rig.

Revs
04-12-08, 08:41 AM
The 750i is just a cut down 780i, which I'm loving. I think people are having faaar less trouble with the 7 series than the 6 series. Much better with quads, too.

Redeemed
04-12-08, 11:45 AM
So would you guys recommend a 750i based mobo over the Intel BadAxe I already have?

Dazz
04-12-08, 01:50 PM
I have the ASUS P5N-D 750i has decent overclocking and is rock soild stable too although early BIOS did have issues they have been ironed out.

jAkUp
04-12-08, 02:07 PM
The 750i is actually a pretty good chipset

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184096

grey_1
04-12-08, 02:26 PM
I thought the 750/780 was the same chipset as the 650/680, only with pci-X 2.0?

Greasy
04-12-08, 10:38 PM
I've been getting video corruption lately with my 780i. Started when I took out the 8800GT(s) for stepup. The old 7800GTX I had started rainbowing while watching video, so I replaced it with a 7900GT I had... Same thing only worse this time.

Looked on Evga's forums and there are a few other people having the same issue. It's not driver related either, because I did a fresh install of Vista the other day and just used the default driver... same video corruption/destop corruption.

Finally set my rig back to stock, and no more video corruption. I've got a water cooled rig, and I'm only doing a 400FSB, so if it happens when I get the 9800GTX twins on Monday this puppy is going back.

I know it's the board, because I've replaced the PSU, RAM, and GPU and always had the same issue. Weird thing is it only started when I took the 8800GTs out.

Zapablast05
04-13-08, 02:03 AM
I have an MSI 750i motherboard and I love it. It's rock-solid stable and is extremely overclockable. All it is is a 780i/790i board without Tri-SLi. One thing I like about the MSI motherboard is that they released a beta BIOS which is specifically more for performance and less for stability; of course you have to sacrifice stability for overclockability. I recommend the P7N Platinum to anyone looking into an nforce7 board.

Zapablast05
04-13-08, 02:06 AM

If they had an EVGA 750i when I bought my motherboard, I would have gotten it. I was looking into an all-EVGA setup.

crainger
04-13-08, 07:08 AM

The 650i is a good chipset too. ::o:

Well I like mine anyway.

As for MSI BIOSes. I'd like to see more of this EFI stuff.

http://images.vnu.net/images/msi_efi_settings.jpg

::wonder::

Dazz
04-13-08, 09:16 AM
I've been getting video corruption lately with my 780i. Started when I took out the 8800GT(s) for stepup. The old 7800GTX I had started rainbowing while watching video, so I replaced it with a 7900GT I had... Same thing only worse this time.

Looked on Evga's forums and there are a few other people having the same issue. It's not driver related either, because I did a fresh install of Vista the other day and just used the default driver... same video corruption/destop corruption.

Finally set my rig back to stock, and no more video corruption. I've got a water cooled rig, and I'm only doing a 400FSB, so if it happens when I get the 9800GTX twins on Monday this puppy is going back.

I know it's the board, because I've replaced the PSU, RAM, and GPU and always had the same issue. Weird thing is it only started when I took the 8800GTs out.
Hmm same with me also even with a mild overclock of 2.6GHz i thought i had not seen it on the 680i but could not find out exactly what it is some days it's fine other days it won't be stable. I can play games allday with out any problems but playing AVi/Divix videos them selves which use less then 5% CPU usage.

Well this looks intrasting might try using my X800XL and see if it still has the same problems.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20080217112340734&board_id=1&model=P5N-D&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Dazz
04-13-08, 11:07 AM
Well tested it with my X800XL works fine no problems at all stuck the 8800GTX back in and continues to happen, kinda funny how it works with their compeditors card but not nVidia's!

Zapablast05
04-13-08, 11:53 AM
Seriously, you like that?

Yes, because I've been lucky so far to get my CPU to 3.7GHz with that BIOS with good voltages and no BSODs.

Redeemed
04-13-08, 12:14 PM
Hmm...

So far it seems most people like the 7 series... a lot more than they did the 6 and 5 series.

I wont be building an Intel rig right now actually. I need to save some money and also complete my current rig. I'm wanting a new tower for it, new fans, new heatsink, new video cards, and 8GB of RAM. :D Once all that is done and this rig is 100% stable, I'll consider building another one. :D

Thank you for all your feedback. I'll be going with a nForce 750 for my next build. :D

Zapablast05
04-13-08, 12:15 PM
Hmm...

So far it seems most people like the 7 series... a lot more than they did the 6 and 5 series.

I wont be building an Intel rig right now actually. I need to save some money and also complete my current rig. I'm wanting a new tower for it, new fans, new heatsink, new video cards, and 8GB of RAM. :D Once all that is done and this rig is 100% stable, I'll consider building another one. :D

Thank you for all your feedback. I'll be going with a nForce 750 for my next build. :D

AGH, you suck. You're supposed to get the the the new parts after we give you the feedback!!!!11

Redeemed
04-13-08, 12:28 PM
AGH, you suck. You're supposed to get the the the new parts after we give you the feedback!!!!11
lol

Technically that's what I'll be doing. I'm just gonna' delay this build by about a month or so. There are more important things that need my attention right now, is all. But now you've all helped me choose which board to get. and I'm torn between the eVGA, ASUS, and MSI. I'm kinda' feeling burnt-out with ASUS... though they're all I've ever really used. I'm considering trying the MSI or eVGA this time around.

Zapablast05
04-13-08, 10:11 PM
Here's a review of the MSI board from [H]. The P7N won the Silver Editors Choice, so it's not just me that thinks it's a winner :p.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ3NCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Redeemed
04-15-08, 03:06 AM
Well... I'm gonna' sell my E6600, Intel BadAxe, and Eliminator. Doing some research to see what prices would be fair for me to ask. So keep an eye on the FS forum as I'll be listing 'em soon. ;)

Gonna' go for a Q6600 and a 750i. Should make for an awesome rig. :D

MrTexTure
04-15-08, 01:39 PM
Here's a review of the MSI board from [H]. The P7N won the Silver Editors Choice, so it's not just me that thinks it's a winner :p.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ3NCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

I just RMA my POS P35 DS3 and will go for this board. cant go wrong with it. one super board indeed :)

One more rev
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/cpu_mainboard/msi_p7n_sli_platinum_750i_based_motherboard/1

MrTexTure
04-15-08, 01:41 PM
Well... I'm gonna' sell my E6600, Intel BadAxe, and Eliminator. Doing some research to see what prices would be fair for me to ask. So keep an eye on the FS forum as I'll be listing 'em soon. ;)

Good choice there I just got one Q6600 and a nice MSI 750i will do wonder I think :D

Zapablast05
04-15-08, 05:23 PM

I've actually been contemplating on selling my MSI 750i.

Zapablast05
04-15-08, 11:59 PM
If you're interested, I'll post in the FS forum with pics and stuff once I extra cash (I want that EVGA board, I'm an EVGA junkie).

Redeemed
04-16-08, 02:51 AM
Keep me posted. The Q6600 I'm purchasing is used, and I'm not opposed to buying a used mobo either. I trust most the frequent members here, so I view the fact that they're used as a "guaranteed to run" certificate. :p

Let me know and I'll probably buy it from ya'. :D

Dazz
04-16-08, 09:46 AM
An update from my last post, don't touch a f**king nForce chipset for Intel CPU's i say this now as my 750i has just died restarted the PC and would no longer post from there on, clear CMOS a dozen times changed all parts placed them back in my ABIT 680i which is due to be sent out in the next few days under RMA, but worked i.e posted. So the ASUS P5N-D is dead although everything is getting power so that will need to be RMAed also, the ABIT board is going back as 3 of the 4 memory solts are faulty, they still work but is very unstable. That is 3 Intel nVidia chipsets i have used, two 680i's ASUS P5N32 which was unstable and 3 of the memory slots where faulty on arivial, then the ABIT IN932X which worked fine for 9 months then 3 slots become faulty and would only work in slot 4 and now my P5N-D is dead and refuses to post.

Whats the luck of that. When i called up Komplett to replace my ABIT 680i i requested to get a Gigabyte X48 DS6 board. Thank god my trusty Athlon X2 4400+ & nForce 4 X16 is still here. Never had any problems with nForce boards on the AMD platform but for Intel, 3 boards in a row!!!

My mistake it was my Geforce 8800GTX that decided to die.