PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love to work here...

Riptide
05-02-03, 12:20 PM
Isn't it great to work for an outfit that unselfishly donates their older equipment to the techs?

Yesterday my company let me take home a Compaq AIT 35 tape drive. Works great w/my adaptec 39160. I backed my system up to tape yesterday. In fact, it was easy as pie. XP natively supports the drive and the native backup software works fine with it.

I looked the drive up on pricewatch and it still sells for over $800 new! They are using newer drives on the servers so they had one of these to give away. Lucky me! No more messing with my DVD burner for backups. I can keep my backups on tape and on my pocketec USB drive.

Gotta love it! :cool:

They have also given me:
(1) Compaq Proliant 800 Dual P3 550 server w/512meg ECC
(1) Cisco 100baseT 24port Hub
(6) 3COM 10baseT 24port Hubs (gave these away to friends)

Pretty nice eh? I use the server for seti processing, file sharing, and printer sharing w/windows 2000.

CurtMan
05-02-03, 12:32 PM
Where do you work and how difficult is it to get hired :cool:

Riptide
05-02-03, 12:53 PM
I work for a company called I_Tech that does the data processing and support for some of the banks in my town (Billings, MT). It's a good company to work for. Pay isn't real special but I get a lot of perks that I didn't have at my previous job (cell phone, laptop, my own desk, the toys). The benefits aren't bad either.

Ofcourse, I wasn't supposed to tell anyone about the stuff they gave me. But I figured how could it hurt to brag about it here? Not many people on these boards have even heard of Billings, let alone live here right? ;)

saturnotaku
05-02-03, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Riptide
But I figured how could it hurt to brag about it here? Not many people on these boards have even heard of Billings, let alone live here right? ;)

Hey, who hasn't heard of Billings, largest city in Montana, home of the state fair, located at the junction of Interstates 90 and 94 in the southeast/central part of the state?

Riptide
05-02-03, 01:46 PM
Well, evidently SOME people have heard of it. ;)

When I was going to school in CA, people were like "That's where?". Heh, some of them still thought we all rode around on horses up here still. :rolleyes:

DaveW
05-02-03, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Riptide

Ofcourse, I wasn't supposed to tell anyone about the stuff they gave me. But I figured how could it hurt to brag about it here? Not many people on these boards have even heard of Billings, let alone live here right? ;)

"RipTide", please stop down in HR and see me... bring your badge key with you.

saturnotaku
05-02-03, 02:36 PM
Bus-ted! :nutkick:

styles-T
05-02-03, 07:47 PM
How much can a tape drive hold? megs/gigs?

Matthyahuw
05-02-03, 08:44 PM
I love where I work, get good stuff all the time!

*points at sig* \/

Riptide
05-03-03, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by !plonk*
How much can a tape drive hold? megs/gigs?
The AIT35 can hold 35gig uncompressed with up to 70 compressed...

Works right nice when all you need to back up is around 30 gig. :p

VeritechK7
05-03-03, 09:34 PM
dang .. I'm not sure what i did w/ the tape drive I got from a friend of mine [was 4GB] it was off an old compaq server too ..he's a maintenance guy and he had three servers with him. .. at his home doing nothing ..albeit old ..but some goodies. .like the 2 giggers that ran @ 7200 rpm .. wowsers :) .. 8 ms seek on those bad boys too :D