PDA

View Full Version : Intel Prescott vs. AMD Opteron

Kain
05-02-03, 02:04 PM
Which processor do you expect to have better gaming performance?

SavagePaladin
05-02-03, 11:01 PM
Wow, someones awfully excited :)

-=DVS=-
05-03-03, 01:02 AM
well it depends if AMD will not screw up and release Opteron at least at 2ghz vs 3ghz P4 w800 bus , id say Opteron is better

But i heard Athlon 64 is desktop version ands its gonna be cut down version of Opteron and that is bad.... :o

StealthHawk
05-03-03, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
well it depends if AMD will not screw up and release Opteron at least at 2ghz vs 3ghz P4 w800 bus , id say Opteron is better

I would say that you are SOL then. AFAIK there are three versions of Opteron which were announced initially, the fastest being 1.8GHz.

But i heard Athlon 64 is desktop version ands its gonna be cut down version of Opteron and that is bad.... :o

Yeah, it will have less cache and half the memory bandwidth. Although SavagePaladin has said there will be Athlon64s with 1MB cache too....although I'm sure those will be rare and expensive.

Athlon64 is cheaper to produce, and will be released later, so the clockspeed will be higher, and will probably make up for a lot of the disadvantages.

I honestly think that Opteron will be around the price of Xeon. In other words, more expensive than most people can afford or will be willing to pay.

SavagePaladin
05-03-03, 07:12 AM
I honestly don't know, it's looking more and more like the delay was to make the Ath64 a 1 meg cache product. But I repeat: I don't know.

BTW Opteron SKUs go up to 2ghz, even if the product only goes to 1.8 now

borntosoul
05-03-03, 11:35 AM
the prescott will kick some ass, its full potential wont be seen until a few months after its release. got those new intructions which most likely be better than the sse2. i think it has a longer pipe than the p4 so the clock speeds will have to get high for it to really shine i think, it better be good cause im getting the p4/800 fsb mobo so i can upgrade to it next year. yeh its also on .09 micron so it should run pretty fast

Kain
05-04-03, 11:26 AM
When will the Intel Prescott be available? How do you think the 400MHz system bus AMD Athlon XPs will compare to it?

Wedge
05-04-03, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by borntosoul
the prescott will kick some ass, its full potential wont be seen until a few months after its release. got those new intructions which most likely be better than the sse2. i think it has a longer pipe than the p4 so the clock speeds will have to get high for it to really shine i think, it better be good cause im getting the p4/800 fsb mobo so i can upgrade to it next year. yeh its also on .09 micron so it should run pretty fast

You may want to hold off on that, Prescott is going to change form factors. They may have a socket 478 version but it wont be the real deal version of Prescott.

Originally posted by Kain
When will the Intel Prescott be available? How do you think the 400MHz system bus AMD Athlon XPs will compare to it?

Prescott will be available late Q3/Q4 2003, and the 400Mhz FSB Athlon XP's really dont do too much for them in the way of performance (look at the 333 FSB AXP's, not much of an improvement), the 800Mhz P4-C's more then compete against them, so they wont really stand a chance against Prescott.

borntosoul
05-04-03, 09:13 PM
thx for the info but something will always be coming out faster down the track, even the first prescott should be good, the processor after that is called the tejas so either way even the better prescott is going to be replaced by something better

StealthHawk
05-05-03, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by borntosoul
thx for the info but something will always be coming out faster down the track, even the first prescott should be good, the processor after that is called the tejas so either way even the better prescott is going to be replaced by something better

New architectures aren't released that often. Unlike with GPUs, it is prudent to wait for new CPU architectures.

SavagePaladin
05-05-03, 06:18 AM
I may be on my way to saving up for that athlon 64 machine i want :) <drool>

borntosoul
05-05-03, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
New architectures aren't released that often. Unlike with GPUs, it is prudent to wait for new CPU architectures.
yeh well thats true in a way but anyway here is my bit on that.
when a new gpu comes it has a much larger increase in speed than when a new cpu comes out, have you even heard of a cpu being 3 times faster than the chip it replaces in any benchmark? not only that but if you look at the release dates(intel roadmaps) for the next two years you will see that we have 800 fsb p4 that will last from now till say december when it will be replaced by the prescott(six months), then that will be replaced by an even faster one with new socket design (and more enhancements maybe) about six months after that and then sometime in late 2004 the tejas will replace the prescott(close to six months again), tejas will be a totaly new design. it seems to me that its nearly every six months a revised chip will be coming out until the tejas, the new socket that supports the faster version of the prescott is about a year away so whats the point in waiting all that time.

StealthHawk
05-05-03, 04:49 PM
None of the new 800MHz FSB Northwoods have really replaced the highend CPUs. Sure, the 3GHz P4 C is a little faster than the 3.06GHz P4 B.

When a new architecture is released at the high end then it is a good time to buy. For several reasons.

1) Better high end product.
2) Prices of older products drop.
3) Future upgradability for the last supported processors of the same architecture.

Although with Intel #3 is not a certainty. I'm not saying you should necessarily wait for a new architecture, but you should change your upgrade patterns to match new releases, rather than buying at totally random times.

borntosoul
05-05-03, 09:54 PM
i think its a good time around mid may, ive seen the p4 2.8 drop in price from its original top end price of AU$1000+ to AU$530(thats for the 800fsb). the 3.2 p4 will be out by then. i could be more sensible and get an athlon 2400+, that would be the smarter buy but i gotta have something a lot faster than my athlon1333. stealth have you had much experience with low latency ram? im not sure what to buy for my new mobo to go with the p4 800fsb and springdale/canterwood chipset. im not planning on over clocking. the corsair twinx ll 3200 2x256mb is around AU$320 and im not sure if its worth it, should i just go for normal 3200 ram (which is half the price) ?

R.Carter
05-06-03, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Wedge
You may want to hold off on that, Prescott is going to change form factors. They may have a socket 478 version but it wont be the real deal version of Prescott.

Well... I think the different socket is to accomodate the Prescott CPU flavours that will have the larger amounts of RAM on them. They need more power and so they have more pins.

It all depends on if these CPU flavours are targeted to servers or not.