PDA

View Full Version : 4 pin molex -> 12v battery

Jon
05-02-03, 03:57 PM
Knowing very little about electrics, I am wondering if I have a case light that has a 4 pin molex connector (only has two wires going to it - red and black), can I cut off the molex connector and connect it directly to a 12v battery?

-=DVS=-
05-02-03, 04:56 PM
Do you want to power your Radeon or GFFX with a 12v Battery ? :wtf:

Jon
05-03-03, 01:45 AM
If I power my GFFX with it, will I get less 3D marks when the battery runs low? ;) Seriously... a friend gave me an EL strip kit which consists of some blue glowing strip, an invertor and on the end it has a 4 pin molex connector for the power supply. Only trouble is the total power cable length is about 0.5m. I wanted to put the strip in my keyboard and it would be nice to power it from a source other than my PSU.

CaptNKILL
05-03-03, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Jon
If I power my GFFX with it, will I get less 3D marks when the battery runs low? ;) Seriously... a friend gave me an EL strip kit which consists of some blue glowing strip, an invertor and on the end it has a 4 pin molex connector for the power supply. Only trouble is the total power cable length is about 0.5m. I wanted to put the strip in my keyboard and it would be nice to power it from a source other than my PSU.
haha, thats cool!

I dont really know much about this kind of thing, but it cant hurt to try really. You arent dealing with enormous amounts of electricity, so its not really dangerous.

Go for it. If it doesnt work, at least you'll know :)

ricercar
05-03-03, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Jon
If I power my GFFX with it, will I get less 3D marks when the battery runs low?

Yes.

My GF FX 5800 U scores better 3DMarks when I have a higher powered PSU attached. To wit:
- <10K with no PSU on Molex, I think it may have been 3.8K
- 16.0K with a 200 W PSU for both SN41G2 and GFFX5800U
- 16.4K with a 300 W PSU for both SN41G2 and GFFX5800U
- 17.0K with a 300 W PSU for SN41G2 and separate 300 W PSU on the GFFX5800U.

Back on topic...

Are you certain it's a 12 V light? All the molex connectors I've measured deliver 12 V on the yellow/black pair and 5 V on the red/black pair. You may want to try a 6V battery first, to test brightness.

Alternately you may also want to consider drawing power from the keyboard itself. IIRC, PS2 and USB connectors have 5V lines which may be sufficient current to light your thang. Just make certain to you understand the pinout. You don't want to be shorting the data lines instead of connecting power lines. I have a dead USB card from a bad experiment in that direction.

Jon
05-04-03, 02:14 AM
Strange, I tried it with a 6v battery and it was definately not as bright as when I connected it to the power supply. But, I needed to cut some off the end of the tape to get it to the right size, I found it was actually two strips stuck together. When I detached the strips, the first strip got brighter. Anyway, good news is it works off a battery. Bad news is, a battery lasts just over an hour.