PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia’s Latest Core-Logic Causes Data Corruption During Overclocking

walterman
04-17-08, 02:34 PM
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/display/20080417103525_Nvidia_s_Latest_Core_Logic_Causes_D ata_Corruption_During_Overclocking_Company.html

Nvidia Corp., a leading designer of graphics processors and chipsets, recently admitted that its most-recent chipset for Intel Corp.’s microprocessors may cause data corruption in case processor bus and system memory are overclocked. Earlier customers blamed previous-generation Nvidia’s core-logic sets for data corruption under the same circumstances.

Apparently, when computer enthusiasts overclock processor system bus (PSB) and memory clock-speeds on systems that are based on Nvidia nForce 790i-series core-logic, they may experience data corruption on hard disk drives. Earlier end-users complained about the same issue on systems powered by previous-generations Nvidia nForce chipsets.

“Nvidia has received reports of data corruption when using certain high speed memory and overclocking the front side bus. Our engineers are currently investigating this issue and as soon as we have more information, we will provide an update to this knowledge base article,” a statement by Nvidia in its technical support forums reads.

Even though this is not the first time when customers complain about data corruption, neither Nvidia nor any of the mainboard makers have disclosed the reasons of the problem.

Nvidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI core-logic supports Intel Core 2 processors with up to 1600MHz processor system bus and overclocking capability beyond that, dual-channel DDR3 memory with speeds over 2000MHz, three PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots for graphics cards, six Serial ATA-300 ports for hard disk drives and so on.

yuriz43
04-17-08, 02:48 PM
This dosen't suprise me. Hopefully they can fix this with a firmware update.

Feyy
04-17-08, 03:52 PM
*goes and huggles his Intel mobo some more*

LORD-eX-Bu
04-17-08, 04:20 PM
somehow I am not surprised... this is nvidia we are talking about here.

Dazz
04-18-08, 12:33 AM
I must say like i am somewhat put off nVidia chipsets for Intel processors.

yuriz43
04-19-08, 04:59 PM
P35 is an excellent overclocking chipset.. I had one of the first P35 MCI boards and it worked great.

I have always been warry of Nv chipset boards. I really think nvidia has no business making motherboard chipsets. But of course, this day in age companies try to expand well beyond their focus in business.

LordJuanlo
04-20-08, 03:02 PM
What a surprise, they keep making the same mistakes. nVidia chipsets are still crap, it's a shame they are the only option for SLI. I hope they won't get a license for new Intel processors if they don't grant Intel an SLI license. But who would buy nVidia chipsets then?

nekrosoft13
04-20-08, 03:20 PM
my 680i still runs great ;), year and half now

duffy_chucky
04-21-08, 08:55 AM
my 680i still runs great ;), year and half now

can you plug some yorkfield on it ? :o

nekrosoft13
04-21-08, 12:57 PM
can you plug some yorkfield on it ? :o

don't have to, waiting for Nehalem for my next upgrade, why should i upgrade now when this socket has reached its end

nV`andrew
04-21-08, 06:56 PM
P35 FTW

^