PDA

View Full Version : Vista and OC'ing - reactivation?

OldOfEvil
04-18-08, 11:49 PM
I plan on over clocking my CPU, will this require reactivations or cause issues? Since I have an OEM copy of Vista I was a little hesitant to jump in, since I have the OEM version which is more restrictive.

-=DVS=-
04-19-08, 01:16 AM
I plan on over clocking my CPU, will this require reactivations or cause issues? Since I have an OEM copy of Vista I was a little hesitant to jump in, since I have the OEM version which is more restrictive.
NO.

bob saget
04-19-08, 02:40 AM
you should be fine. If you plan on overclocking with rivatuner, windows will automatically stop the programme everytime you start the computer and you will have to allow the programme to run manually, or flash the bios.

dxx
04-19-08, 05:33 AM

A few months ago, I tried overclocking my CPU. It failed miserably, and required a BIOS reset to bring the system back to a POST'ing state. In doing this, I forgot to go back through the BIOS setup and re-disable the various bits of legacy junk that I always disable (I mean, really, who still uses the serial port and a floppy drive these days, and who wants 1394 anyway?).

Windows booted up, and decided that the hardware had changed. This, it concluded, was one change too many, so it asked me to reactivate. I own a legit copy, so I had no issue with doing this. Until, that is, on the third consecutive occasion, it failed to update via t'interweb. So I opted for phoneline activation instead. The activation code it gave me? 111111-222222-333333-4444444-555555-666666. Yes. Vista had corrupted its activation data.

With Repair not possible with Vista, my only recourse, after a conversation with MS, was to do a complete reinstallation. All because of their utterly sh*t anti-piracy measures.

So, consider yourself warned. You're mostly likely to be safe, but if you're not, I hope you have your disc handy.

OldOfEvil
04-19-08, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the replies. :)