PDA

View Full Version : Another Vista 64 Problem :)

tjohn
04-19-08, 07:14 AM
I have an HP deskjet 6940 hooked up to my Simpletech NAS as a shared network printer. Usually I would, add printer, choose network printer, follow intructions, and once it gets to the driver install it says "no driver found on simpleshare bla bla" so I pop in the install disk that came with the printer browse to the file and install and all is good. Not so with Vista 64. Was working with Vista 32??

mullet
04-19-08, 10:47 AM
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2100&lc=en&cc=lamerica_nsc_carib&lang=en&dlc=es&product=467980#

tjohn
04-19-08, 03:50 PM
Tried that, but after I installed the driver software I wasn't able to find the .inf file :( WTF

So I uninstalled / reinstalled and it's showing spanish, then again in german. I'm losing my mind :headexplode:

tjohn
04-20-08, 07:05 AM
Here's my error code 0x000006c0 I get this while trying to access printer properties. Looks like it's installed. Vista had drivers for this printer so I used them. If I hit print I see the printer and it shows it's on my NAS but no printing :(

tjohn
04-21-08, 05:48 PM
Damnit!! I still can't get this working

crainger
04-21-08, 06:09 PM
Have you tried setting it us a local printer but making a custom TCP/IP port?

tjohn
04-21-08, 06:56 PM
Have you tried setting it us a local printer but making a custom TCP/IP port?

No, how would I do that. Please :D

grey_1
04-21-08, 07:27 PM
Silly question tjohn, forgive me..you do have file and printer sharing enabled and on private network?

crainger
04-21-08, 08:32 PM
No, how would I do that. Please :D

OK. You add a printer as normal, select add printer, choose create a new port, select Standard TCP/IP port from the drop down box, enter the IP address or hostname, the port will be autonamed. Now Vista will try to contact the printer. Hopefully it reaches it and you can go from there. You might need to know your print server setting to tweak it. If you don't have them, just try them all and see if it'll start printing. ::D:

tjohn
04-21-08, 08:34 PM
Silly question tjohn, forgive me..you do have file and printer sharing enabled and on private network?

File sharing is enabled but it's showing printer not installed ?? Under control panel / printers, it shows it is installed. Must be a 64 bit problem :(

tjohn
04-21-08, 08:39 PM
OK. You add a printer as normal, select add printer, choose create a new port, select Standard TCP/IP port from the drop down box, enter the IP address or hostname, the port will be autonamed. Now Vista will try to contact the printer. Hopefully it reaches it and you can go from there. You might need to know your print server setting to tweak it. If you don't have them, just try them all and see if it'll start printing. ::D:

Thanks! Crap, I'm on my lappy right now and about to shut down for the night cuz I need to get up around 4am tomorrow :( I'm gonna have to try that tomorrow night.

crainger
04-21-08, 09:02 PM
Good Luck. It's a long shot, but it might just work.

jcrox
04-21-08, 10:01 PM
I had a hard time getting the printer on my home network working with x64 as well... instead of using the disc I downloaded the drivers from the manufacturer, right clicked and set the compatibility to windows xp then installed the drivers and it worked.

........just a thought

tjohn
04-22-08, 09:23 AM
I had a hard time getting the printer on my home network working with x64 as well... instead of using the disc I downloaded the drivers from the manufacturer, right clicked and set the compatibility to windows xp then installed the drivers and it worked.

........just a thought

XP ?? How does that work! I'll try that too. The first time I tried installing the downloaded HP drivers, they installed but when vista printer install asks for the driver location, I can't find it! Should be in the hp folder but it's not.

tjohn
04-22-08, 06:39 PM

How can I find my print server setting?