PDA

View Full Version : My 7900GT wont work in my new Dell

magnebula
04-20-08, 02:16 AM
just got a dell optiplex 755, and when i got it, i wanted to swap some of the hardware to a different case, including swapping the dell videocard with my evga nvidia 7900gt. the dell videocard is an ati radeon 2400xt. i installed a new powersupply into the dell (came with a 305W, replaced with a 610W), and it worked fine.

then i decided to install the 7900gt. from the desktop, i removed the drivers for the ati from the device manager, and shut down. i remove the power cord from the psu, and swap in the 7900gt. boot things up, and i get no picture whatsoever. no picture during the boot process or after. windows still boots to the desktop though (i can hear it).

i tried everything. tried different cables from the powersupply, checked the fan on it, put it back in my old machine (which it worked flawlessly in), put the ati back into it (which also worked flawlessly), tried both dvi ports on the card with 2 different vga-dvi adapters. i cant install the nvidia drivers without the card in. tried removing the ati drivers while using the onboard video, then putting in the 7900, but still NO SUCCESS.

the guy from dells support line said he had no clue as to why it wasnt working. he said it isnt a dell proprietary videocard thing, that any card should work in it. and the guy from evga's support line said it might be a bios thing (which he said he doubts) or that there is some random incompatibility with that exact mobo and videocard.

im at a loss of ideas. this is very frustrating, and i just want to use a quality videocard in this new machine. this is all windows xp home edition, if that helps.

dxx
04-20-08, 11:04 AM
If there's no video output at any time using the nV card, it's not a driver issue. As you have onboard video, and Windows is booting up, it seems fairly obvious that the most likely thing that's going on is that the system is defaulting to the onboard video, which is something you can disable in the BIOS.

magnebula
04-20-08, 11:09 AM
i tried that. in the bios there are 2 options for videocard, auto and some other option. i tried both options, and no difference.

if i put the original ati card in though, regardless of the option selected in the bios. itll work.

Feyy
04-20-08, 11:20 AM
Dead card?

magnebula
04-20-08, 11:41 AM
no, right now it in my old machine and it is working perfectly

Bman212121
04-20-08, 11:48 AM
just got a dell optiplex 755, and when i got it, i wanted to swap some of the hardware to a different case, including swapping the dell videocard with my evga nvidia 7900gt. the dell videocard is an ati radeon 2400xt. i installed a new powersupply into the dell (came with a 305W, replaced with a 610W), and it worked fine.

then i decided to install the 7900gt. from the desktop, i removed the drivers for the ati from the device manager, and shut down. i remove the power cord from the psu, and swap in the 7900gt. boot things up, and i get no picture whatsoever. no picture during the boot process or after. windows still boots to the desktop though (i can hear it).

i tried everything. tried different cables from the powersupply, checked the fan on it, put it back in my old machine (which it worked flawlessly in), put the ati back into it (which also worked flawlessly), tried both dvi ports on the card with 2 different vga-dvi adapters. i cant install the nvidia drivers without the card in. tried removing the ati drivers while using the onboard video, then putting in the 7900, but still NO SUCCESS.

the guy from dells support line said he had no clue as to why it wasnt working. he said it isnt a dell proprietary videocard thing, that any card should work in it. and the guy from evga's support line said it might be a bios thing (which he said he doubts) or that there is some random incompatibility with that exact mobo and videocard.

im at a loss of ideas. this is very frustrating, and i just want to use a quality videocard in this new machine. this is all windows xp home edition, if that helps.

I assume you have the PCI-E power connected correctly to the 7900GT right? There is no reason why it shouldn't work... I've had a 6800GT in a 745, and my 755 has a 9600GT in it. I took out the 2400XT pos, put the 9600GT in it with the stock PSU and it worked just fine. (I better note something here though. I was able to take the PSU from the 745 and put it into the 755 because the 755 models lost their molex connector.) My only thought is that it has something to do with power. I have noticed though that the 755's take a lot longer to post for some reason. I bet it takes about 5 - 10 seconds before I get anything to display on the monitor. When the pc powers up you should hear your 7900GT's fan pretty easily if it is working correctly because it won't spin down until windows is loading.

Btw I didn't change any bios options from their factory defaults to make it work.

magnebula
04-20-08, 11:54 AM
yea, the pci-e connector. i tried 2 of them, then a molex to pci-e. fan spins up on it, and continues to. i mean, with the 610W psu i put in, it should be fine. ill try to see if there is anything to reset, and ill give it a whirl sometime today, not that i changed anything in the beginning of the whole process anyway

Bman212121
04-20-08, 11:57 AM
Yea it seems kind of odd that it doesn't want to work.

magnebula
04-20-08, 12:59 PM
im going to see if i can get a hold of my sister's boyfriend's video card, and throw it in to see if the dell will recognize it. if that is the case, then it is what the evga guy said, some random incompatibility

HiCZoK4
04-20-08, 01:23 PM
becouse dell sucks imo

Bman212121
04-20-08, 06:17 PM
Yup, that's exactly why the card doesn't work. :rolleyes:

magnebula
04-20-08, 06:56 PM
i wouldnt normally buy a dell, or any oem computer, but for the price i really couldnt refuse. i got it at a huge discount through my college. ill throw in the other videocard later and ill update

magnebula
04-24-08, 12:12 AM
nothing worked, so im returning the dell and dishing out the extra for a custom built compy, which is what i should have done in the first place. ill be keeping the 7900 in my old rig, and getting an EVGA 8800GT Superclocked 512MB, to go with the new rig. case closed. thanks to all who tried to give insight, but in the end, dell's compys do indeed suck pretty hard.