PDA

View Full Version : Why go Vista?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ASUSEN7900GTX
04-20-08, 03:10 PM
so i saw on a Swedish auktion site a english ultimate 32&64bit totally new

so tell me why should i go vista from XP?

what does Vista better now than a few months ago?

and if i go 64 bit can i play all games i can today i mean things donīt have to be 64 bit fo they? i mean people with vista64 play ASS.creed?

so shall i go or shall i stay with XP?

Sazar
04-20-08, 03:51 PM
Vista works just fine. Ask anyone here who has been running Vista for more than a couple of weeks, most are working fine and enjoying the improvements in the OS design.

If you have XP and are happy with it and are not comfortable upgrading, you don't have to.

ASUSEN7900GTX
04-20-08, 03:56 PM
the thing is i want to try Vista but itīs just that i hear so many negative stuff about it but i guess it si as it was going from 98 to XP took me a while to go XP.

and Now with SP1 for vista perhaps itīs time to upgrade i have 2 250gb disks i could always keep XP and partition the other one for VIsta.

So how much do i need for Vista and apps?

and is 64bit to prefer or 32bit?

thansk for all the help i just need some advice

Sazar
04-20-08, 04:14 PM
the thing is i want to try Vista but itīs just that i hear so many negative stuff about it but i guess it si as it was going from 98 to XP took me a while to go XP.

The majority of negative comments are either false or grossly exaggerated. A lot of people simply don't want to upgrade. If you go back in time, you'll notice these exact same comments being made moving from Win 98 to 2000 or XP like you said.

I have been using Vista personally since the initial beta releases and I have had no problems thus far that have brought me to a standstill. If anything, my productivity has gone up because of Vista and what it brings.

and Now with SP1 for vista perhaps itīs time to upgrade i have 2 250gb disks i could always keep XP and partition the other one for VIsta.

I ran Vista, XP and Ubuntu for several weeks when the RTM came out. After that, I have run nothing but Vista. You can share files across both XP and Vista if you want to go that route.

So how much do i need for Vista and apps?

? Memory or hard-drive space?

and is 64bit to prefer or 32bit?

thansk for all the help i just need some advice

If you can go 64-bit, especially if you have 4 GB of memory, I would go that route.

ASUSEN7900GTX
04-20-08, 04:32 PM
sorry i meant how much HDD space do i need for Vista office photoshop drivers FW Antivirus

such programs/applications

so if i have 136gb free space and i use some sort of partition application.

how much of those 136 should i give for vista ?

Mr Bigman
04-20-08, 04:33 PM
You will find that alot of the senior members here such as jakup, Doc, Redeemed, and to name a few are on Vista such as myself cuz we know Vista in and out now.

MikeC has a chart of XP vs Vista users up somewhere on here but those who use XP still are the majority here but if you find out who they are, you will find them to be noobs or newer members who don't know jack but what someone or what magazine tells them like that funny looking geek with the long hair who things Linux is the be all end all.

Its those who are tech savy who will use Vista now and those whi use XP are still noobs who don't much beyond building a rig but loading os and drivers.

Remembe the OS works as good as the users rig and the users ability to tweaking it.

ASUSEN7900GTX
04-20-08, 04:39 PM
ok i see well i have been around for a whilöe but i am unsure when it comes to vista i want it due to DX10 and that i have a dx10 card :)

and gaming is one of the things i spend time to at my Comp.
but also in Photoshop making wallpaers working with iamges photos and such.

also vacation video editing so i guess thatīs where vista comes to use if i get a 64bit ultimate and 4gb and editing should go a bit better.

If i have gotten it right that is.

i am not one who is afraid of trying stuff but since vista dna Xp cost alot i want to know that if i get vista i wonīt be throwing away my money.

i sit on a home edition of XP

and now i can have the pssibility to get a Ultimate with both 32bit and 54bit verisons.

S.SubZero
04-20-08, 04:49 PM
Vista Ultimate x64 is about 14~15GB of hard disk space and by default takes about 900MB of RAM. It can be trimmed down a little, I've managed to get it to boot in 750MB, tho Vista's RAM usage varies a lot compared to XP. It can bounce around without much reason.

ASUSEN7900GTX
04-20-08, 04:51 PM
so if i have 4gb it uses almost all of that, at least thatīs what i read but hen again it was months ago, so how will Vista run on a E6600 4gb hyper X 800mhz? or do i nedd 8gb?

also i read or heard that vista doesnīt swap as much as Xp do is that true?

Acid Rain
04-20-08, 04:56 PM
Been using Vista Home Premium 64 for everything and it runs everything well for me. Looking back, XP is just so damn old and crusty. For me, Vista's been more solid than XP ever was, good luck getting a virus, and it's nice seeing decent hardware put to use. Leveraging 4 cores in any app is really nice, as is actually putting more than 3.5gb of ram to use. So much bs is spewed about the OS. A good 90% is fabricated and most of the rest is dweebish user error on relic hardware.

Just throw some halfway modern gear and 4 or 8gb of ram at it and it's perfect. For the record, a fresh bootup of Vista64 settles into about 20% of my 4gb, and on a buddy's rig with 8gb it uses about 20% as well. It's adaptive.

Hell, it even runs Dosbox and dos programs with no fiddling whatsoever.

S.SubZero
04-20-08, 04:57 PM
Vista caches stuff. A lot. It certainly can and does swap to hard disk. pagefile.sys is alive and well in Vista.

ASUSEN7900GTX
04-20-08, 05:02 PM
so will it be slower more sluggish with 4gb than XP with the same amount?

that means will gaming be impossible with 4gb compared to 8gb?

or will this thing to a PC run vista and gmaing just fine?

einstein_314
04-20-08, 05:08 PM
so if i have 4gb it uses almost all of that, at least thatīs what i read but hen again it was months ago, so how will Vista run on a E6600 4gb hyper X 800mhz? or do i nedd 8gb?

also i read or heard that vista doesnīt swap as much as Xp do is that true?
4GB is plenty. I "only" have 4 GB and it runs awesome. The thing people don't understand about Vista is how it caches commonly used programs in your RAM to make them start faster. This is why it tends to use more ram than XP. But, if for some reason you NEED that ram that it's using to cache stuff, it WILL release it to be used for critical stuff.

And of course you can always turn off this caching (it's called super fetch).

Gaming is perfectly fine with 4GB.

Smokey
04-20-08, 05:51 PM
I dont think too many people are already using 8gb of ram, its more like 2gb vs 4gb, and vista 64 runs fine with 2gb. Vista frees up ram when ram is needed for games or apps, vista manages memory differently than XP, so its not really comparing apples with apples.

RAY16
04-20-08, 08:24 PM
I've been using Vista x64 with 2GB just fine for a while now. It's not a perfect OS, but it's far from what all the negative nancy's would like you to believe.

crainger
04-20-08, 09:25 PM
People need to make themselves feel better about the decisions they make. Hence the repeat Vista bashers.

Sazar
04-20-08, 09:54 PM
People need to make themselves feel better about the decisions they make. Hence the repeat Vista bashers.

XP is a lot easier to use pirated than Vista as well.

crainger
04-20-08, 10:06 PM
True, though MS have changed Vista to now allow users to use the OS with popups like XP. Before Vista would more or less lock them out...

ASUSEN7900GTX
04-21-08, 03:50 AM
well seems as i might put an offer on that Vista ultimate after all

i have now for a while been cuorious about DX10 even if the differense isnīt all that big to dx9 but there still is a difference.

and since i have 2 HDDīs i can go dual XP and Vista :)

i mus thank you all for all your opinions and tips and help

i thank you kind sirīs :)

EciDemon
04-21-08, 05:46 AM
I think you'll be happy with vista, been running it for a while now (dual boot with xp).
It's mainly my music programs that makes me keep Xp (as some of them dont work very well in vista along with some VSTs). Winrar was slow too in vista64, but switching to 7-zip64bit was the cure *damn fast* :)

All games ive tried worked just as good as in xp so no complaining there :)
Dx10 is a bit overrated I think, usually it dont add much to the game (compared to the usual performance loss). This might get better in time tho as games becomes true dx10

ASUSEN7900GTX
04-21-08, 05:52 AM
but still DX10 adds some things dx9 canīt in games like WIC crysis Assassins creed among other and even if tweaks make crysis look incredible on XP it might look even better with dx10 effects adde i donīt know if it do as i havenīt seen crysis in dx10.

But yeah iīve heard that dx10 isnīt all "that"

but with dual boot i get both good dx9 and some dx10 stuff

so how is vista compared to Xp when it comes to video editing/encoding is it better than xp?

S.SubZero
04-21-08, 08:03 AM
DX10 also needs considerable horsepower to do those extra effects. An 8800 Ultra may do alright, but putting DX10 in an 8400 or even 8600 is kind of silly.

ASUSEN7900GTX
04-21-08, 08:05 AM
I Won the Auktion about the Vista Ultimate 32 & 64-bit

totally new never been used i won it at 1625 SEK wich is 272.0052 USD

it costs in stores 4895 at someplaces maybe cheaper 4895SEk is 819.3634 USD

so i got really cheap if ya ask me and even if it is english i can get swedish language pack

:D

S.SubZero
04-21-08, 08:14 AM
Jeez.. that's expensive. They really charge that much for Windows in other parts of the world? We here in the US went bonkers when they tried making Ultimate $400.

ASUSEN7900GTX
04-21-08, 08:15 AM
yeah Sweden is pretty expensive on computer parts and software

but i think i got off with a good bargain on that vista with two versions of it on the same dvd