PDA

View Full Version : Can I use my Vista Ult to upgrade a crappy laptop? Turn off features?

Pixelsmack
04-20-08, 03:11 PM
I know the laptop in question is only capable of running Vista Basic. But I have an "extra" Vista Ult upgrade. I was wondering if I could install it on there and then disable all the AERO and extra crap to make it run and save ram.

Essentially making Ult, Basic. Is this possible?

einstein_314
04-20-08, 03:48 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible....if you disable AERO it's basically just basic. My laptop is 2 years old and runs ultimate fine (it has a vista capable sticker on it) with AERO enabled. How much RAM does it have?

Pixelsmack
04-20-08, 04:22 PM
768mb, 60GB 4200rpm HD.

S.SubZero
04-20-08, 05:00 PM
GOOOOOOOOGGGGGLLLLLLEEEEEEEE
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/systemrequirements.mspx
OMG

So technically it will work, but why bother? That has "XP" written all over it. I don't see Vista running exceptionally well on that setup, and Ultimate will take 25% of the hard disk space.

einstein_314
04-20-08, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't bother if it only has 768mb of RAM. Well I mean you could give it a shot. It would run. And if you disabled everything so that it was basically Vista Basic....it might be okay. But personally I wouldn't bother.

Pixelsmack
04-20-08, 05:48 PM
Well it's done and guys, I'm shocked. It enabled AERO by default and it's flying! I fully expected sluggish hell but it's not.

And with IE and Outlook loaded (the only apps she uses) there's 524mb in use out of the 768mb. Not great, but not too terrible. Things open and close fast.

The main reasons for me wanting to do this was for RDP and sharing. For some reason her XP install has a hell of a time keeping shares from my Vista Server. It also refuses to find network printers and WMP11 for XP WON'T look for shared WMP11 media! BLARG!

So far everything is running smoothly.

crainger
04-20-08, 09:28 PM
Well it's done and guys, I'm shocked. It enabled AERO by default and it's flying! I fully expected sluggish hell but it's not.

And with IE and Outlook loaded (the only apps she uses) there's 524mb in use out of the 768mb. Not great, but not too terrible. Things open and close fast.

The main reasons for me wanting to do this was for RDP and sharing. For some reason her XP install has a hell of a time keeping shares from my Vista Server. It also refuses to find network printers and WMP11 for XP WON'T look for shared WMP11 media! BLARG!

So far everything is running smoothly.

Vista will always use up almost all of your RAM. It keeps programs loaded so they open fast as you can see. When you need the RAM for a game and the like, Vistra will release the RAM.

Pixelsmack
04-20-08, 10:56 PM
That's cool. Explains the speed. She doesn't play any games on this laptop so it's all good.

At least I know now.

BronzeGod
04-21-08, 12:54 AM
You can use it as a coaster for a nice drink :-)