PDA

View Full Version : Voxelstein 3D Fully Destructible Voxel Environment

MaXThReAT
04-22-08, 10:35 AM
For those that don't know what a voxel is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voxel
Fun to play around with. You can destroy absolutely everything. It doesn't look the best but it's fun.
http://voxelstein3d.blogspot.com/2008/04/v-o-x-e-l-s-t-e-i-n-3-d.html

Voxelstein 3D is an FPS game inspired by Wolfenstein 3D. The game uses Ken Silverman's VOXLAP engine to render voxels in software. The levels in the game are fully destructible - and by fully we mean fully.

The game world is built from tiny cubes called voxels. There are over 37 million in the first level. Rendering a world like this is slow (especially without hardware acceleration), but there is an advantage: voxels can be added, removed or otherwise altered very very quickly. This enables all kinds of cool stuff, including fully destructible worlds!

Features
-Weapons: knife, pistol, chaingun, grenades, C4
-Enemies: guard, officer
-Many treasures to collect
-Fully destructible world: blow holes in walls, ceilings, enemies, anywhere!
-Loads original sounds and music from Wolfenstein 3D

P.S. Check the game directory for a demo of the original Wolfenstein 3D!

|MaguS|
04-22-08, 10:39 AM
Does it have hardware accel? If not then its a step backwards... not forward.

Mr. Hunt
04-22-08, 10:39 AM
What happens when you destroy the walls leading out? Do you get sucked into a vortex and then your computer explodes killing 18 jewish children?

SH64
04-22-08, 10:43 AM
What happens when you destroy the walls leading out? Do you get sucked into a vortex and then your computer explodes killing 18 jewish children?
No.

|MaguS|
04-22-08, 10:49 AM
Wow that was retarded...

Mr. Hunt
04-22-08, 10:54 AM
How was it retarded? Fully destructible environment should mean you can literally go anywhere and every map is infinite!

SH64
04-22-08, 10:55 AM
How was it retarded? Fully destructible environment should mean you can literally go anywhere and every map is infinite!
As Einstein said : only 2 things are infinite ...

|MaguS|
04-22-08, 10:56 AM
They don't give you the means to do anything.. you have a knife, pistol and crappy chaingun... oh and a single gernade that does almost no damage. You would think for a tech demo they would have made it um more of a tech demo then something so stupid.

MaXThReAT
04-22-08, 10:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1x6b2PJvWc

I gatta figure out how to modify this.

Edit: Yeah just edit the ini and it becomes pretty fun.

3DBrad
04-22-08, 11:25 AM
Why would the dummy put a picture of the guy that massacred 32 people at Virginia Tech on the wall in the game?

It just happened not too long ago. :thumbdwn:

JigenD
04-22-08, 12:04 PM
lol wow you guys...

It's pretty interesting to me, the damage physics and such aren't very amazing or anything, and the graphics aren't either, but it's still very different.

PROTIP : hold the letters m i l at the same time on your keyboard to get 999 of all weapons.

Why would the dummy put a picture of the guy that massacred 32 people at Virginia Tech on the wall in the game?

It just happened not too long ago. :thumbdwn:

Well it is a Nazi stronghold, I like the Bush poster along with Hitler. Dark humor I suppose, never visit 4chan.

CaptNKILL
04-22-08, 01:34 PM
They don't give you the means to do anything.. you have a knife, pistol and crappy chaingun... oh and a single gernade that does almost no damage. You would think for a tech demo they would have made it um more of a tech demo then something so stupid.
There are two time bombs laying around the map as well. If you set one on a door it'll blow the entire wall off as well as open a hole to any rooms below you.

I played this yesterday and it seems kind of neat but they really made it about as underwhelming as possible. The guns and knives do too little damage to things and the movement is sooooo glitchy.

Also, the game just sort of ends with a score screen when you get outside and walk around a bit. The readme doesn't mention how many levels are in this demo. I can't tell if the game is bugged of if its just the end.

CaptNKILL
04-22-08, 01:39 PM
PROTIP : hold the letters m i l at the same time on your keyboard to get 999 of all weapons.

Cool. I just resorted to editing the config.ini to make the machinegun and pistol give 10,000 rounds when you pick them up. There weren't any options like that for the grenade or explosives though.

LT.Schaffer
04-22-08, 07:18 PM
press mil more than once to keep adding more ammo:)

|MaguS|
04-22-08, 08:02 PM
Anyway to get more damge? The 1x1 pixel of damage that the guns do is annoying.

CaptNKILL
04-22-08, 09:55 PM
Anyway to get more damge? The 1x1 pixel of damage that the guns do is annoying.
Use the cheats and use explosives instead. :lol:

Or mess with the config.ini and change the numbers for fire speed, ammo and damage.

I just made the grenades fully automatic and capable of disintegrating an entire room. :lol:

NaitoSan
04-22-08, 11:24 PM
this is really cool tech demo. i was hoping author would recreate entire wolf3d in voxel but nope. :( maybe that's what they're planning to do... well i thought this is really cool.