PDA

View Full Version : It looks like DX10.1 is coming for Windows XP SP3

hell_of_doom227
04-22-08, 05:55 PM
I got a word that DX10.1 for Windows XP SP3 is going to be released. At the same time it looks like Vista is not going to have a bright future, probably dead by q2 of the next year. Microsoft is pushing Windows 7 big time...

nekrosoft13
04-22-08, 06:05 PM
:lol2:

SH64
04-22-08, 06:06 PM
Thread of the month!

Redeemed
04-22-08, 06:08 PM
I got a word that DX10.1 for Windows XP SP3 is going to be released. At the same time it looks like Vista is not going to have a bright future, probably dead by q2 of the next year. Microsoft is pushing Windows 7 big time...
:retard:

See kids, this is why you shouldn't do drugs. There's a great chance you'll fry your brain like this poor fellow did...

nekrosoft13
04-22-08, 06:15 PM
parents lock your medicine cabinet

Feyy
04-22-08, 06:18 PM
At the SIGGRAPH graphics conference, Microsoft gave a presentation detailing some of the changes coming in DirectX 10.1.
The highlights are as follows:

* DirectX 10.1 is a series of extensions to DirectX 10
* It's supported by upcoming graphics hardware, but not current DX10 hardware
* It requires (and will be part of) Vista Service Pack 1

This is business as usual, as far as DirectX is concerned. DX 10.1 hardware will be backwards compatible with DirectX 10, but current DX10 hardware won't be forward compatible. So games looking to support DX 10.1 still need a DX 10 rendering path to support today's DX10 cards. Think of it like when Microsoft released DirectX 9.0c with added Shader Model 3.0 support. Also, don't worry too much about it requiring SP1 (which isn't out yet). The DX 10.1 SDK only recently was made available, and by the time supporting hardware and DX10.1 are released to end users somewhere in the first half of 2008, SP1 should be readily available.

What are the changes? DX 10.1's goals are to offer the "complete" DX 10, giving developers better control over image quality and making mandatory some of the things that are optional in DX 10. For example, 32-bit floating point filtering is optional in DX10 (16-bit FP filtering is mandatory), but will be mandatory in DX 10.1. Also, in DX 10, the number of multisample anti-aliasing samples is optional—DX 10.1 will make 4x AA mandatory, and require two specific sample patterns. Graphics cards can offer more sample patterns, and developers can query them in their shaders. Graphics cards that are DX 10.1 compliant will have to offer programmable shader output sample masks and multisample AA depth readback. Game developers will be able to index into cube maps and perform bitwise copies from uncompressed textures to block-compressed texture formats.
ADVERTISEMENT

If that's a bunch of gobbledygook to you, don't sweat it. The main takeaway is this: DirectX 10.1 is a straightforward incremental update to DX 10 that forces graphics vendors to adhere to a few more set standards with regards to image quality and a couple other under-the-hood graphics features, mainly to give games more control over image quality.

Redeemed
04-22-08, 06:26 PM
At the SIGGRAPH graphics conference, Microsoft gave a presentation detailing some of the changes coming in DirectX 10.1.
The highlights are as follows:

* DirectX 10.1 is a series of extensions to DirectX 10
* It's supported by upcoming graphics hardware, but not current DX10 hardware
* It requires (and will be part of) Vista Service Pack 1

This is business as usual, as far as DirectX is concerned. DX 10.1 hardware will be backwards compatible with DirectX 10, but current DX10 hardware won't be forward compatible. So games looking to support DX 10.1 still need a DX 10 rendering path to support today's DX10 cards. Think of it like when Microsoft released DirectX 9.0c with added Shader Model 3.0 support. Also, don't worry too much about it requiring SP1 (which isn't out yet). The DX 10.1 SDK only recently was made available, and by the time supporting hardware and DX10.1 are released to end users somewhere in the first half of 2008, SP1 should be readily available.

What are the changes? DX 10.1's goals are to offer the "complete" DX 10, giving developers better control over image quality and making mandatory some of the things that are optional in DX 10. For example, 32-bit floating point filtering is optional in DX10 (16-bit FP filtering is mandatory), but will be mandatory in DX 10.1. Also, in DX 10, the number of multisample anti-aliasing samples is optional—DX 10.1 will make 4x AA mandatory, and require two specific sample patterns. Graphics cards can offer more sample patterns, and developers can query them in their shaders. Graphics cards that are DX 10.1 compliant will have to offer programmable shader output sample masks and multisample AA depth readback. Game developers will be able to index into cube maps and perform bitwise copies from uncompressed textures to block-compressed texture formats.
ADVERTISEMENT

If that's a bunch of gobbledygook to you, don't sweat it. The main takeaway is this: DirectX 10.1 is a straightforward incremental update to DX 10 that forces graphics vendors to adhere to a few more set standards with regards to image quality and a couple other under-the-hood graphics features, mainly to give games more control over image quality.
SP1 for Vista is VERY complete. In fact, it just appeared in my Windows Update, finished downloading and installing, and is now awaiting for me to restart my computer.

nekrosoft13
04-22-08, 06:27 PM
just apeared? its been out for weeks

Redeemed
04-22-08, 06:31 PM
just apeared? its been out for weeks
Well, it just appeared for me! :p :o

mailman2
04-22-08, 07:00 PM
SP1 for Vista is VERY complete. In fact, it just appeared in my Windows Update, finished downloading and installing, and is now awaiting for me to restart my computer.

uhhh, how would you know if you haven't rebooted yet :p

Redeemed
04-22-08, 07:18 PM
uhhh, how would you know if you haven't rebooted yet :p
How about I "reboot" my size 11 up that lil' keester of yers'? :box:

Just finished the install, so far so good. Start button---> Right click "Computer" ---> Select "Properties". Sure enough, Vista SP1 shows up. ;)

bacon12
04-22-08, 07:35 PM
Just showed up on update for me as well. Funny I thought I had it installed on this box already, but I checked and it isn't..

K007
04-22-08, 07:39 PM
ok...

trivium nate
04-22-08, 07:46 PM
Windows xp sucks...

Uberpwnage
04-22-08, 08:29 PM
lol...

ViN86
04-22-08, 10:30 PM
i knows it to bee trues because i reads it on da internets!!!

ViN86
04-22-08, 10:32 PM
Well, it just appeared for me! :p :o
pfft, ive had it since RTM you noobs :D

nekrosoft13
04-22-08, 10:34 PM
i knows it to bee trues because i reads it on da internets!!!

i just heard that MS will release DX11 for XP SP3 before summer, they will skip vista release

Starscream
04-22-08, 10:41 PM

pssst.

I just got word that Windows 95E is coming out within the next 6 months. Pass it along.

oh btw YOUR MOTHER SUCKS.

Redeemed
04-22-08, 10:43 PM
i just heard that MS will release DX11 for XP SP3 before summer, they will skip vista release
You heard wrong. Bill Gates got too drunk and killed himself and his wife. Now MS, in a complete mess, got bought up by Steve Jobs. Windows is no longer going to be available for x86 based PCs like ours. We're stuck with the penguins...

grimreefer
04-22-08, 11:15 PM
i just got word that windows 98 will have dx11 support

Wolfhound
04-23-08, 02:54 AM
i just got word that windows 98 will have dx11 support

That´s false!!! the real deal is that win2k is the one that will have DX12 support in SP5 and will run games 120x faster than Vista,XP and 7... that´s what I heard :p on the intarwez

jolle
04-23-08, 03:27 AM
You heard wrong. Bill Gates got too drunk and killed himself and his wife. Now MS, in a complete mess, got bought up by Steve Jobs. Windows is no longer going to be available for x86 based PCs like ours. We're stuck with the penguins...
Right, cause they have MacOS X for x86 now, so they´re putting windows on something else..
the Xbox 360 prolly.