PDA

View Full Version : How do you know how many times you've activated a key from Technet?

brady
04-24-08, 12:21 PM
I just got my Technet subscription and I've already activated 2 Vista Ultimates with the key they provide. Do you just have to keep track of how many times you've activated or is there a way to tell? I can't seem to find any way to tell from the subscriber site.

Q
04-24-08, 01:44 PM
I'm not sure if they really monitor the TOTAL times that often. I'm activating once or twice every few weeks and usually don't have a problem. About once every two months I'll have to call 3 or 4 activations in, then I'm good for a couple more months.

Hope this helped.

ragejg
04-24-08, 02:30 PM
I wonder what kind of leeway I have myself on that.

So I could work from home, the company provided me with MSDN Vista and XP Media Center discs and good keys to go with them for my home rig. It's used a lot for Remote Desktop access as well as content and HTML creation and publishing. I originally installed Vista last year, but it was only online for like 3 weeks and I went back to my college-supplied XP.

I have since installed again, and would like to do so over again once I figure out my RAID issue, but I'm thinking to myself "why do I get the feeling that MS will let me reactivate LESS with Vista than XP" as well as "is an MSDN copy issued with a different user contract?".:type:

einstein_314
04-24-08, 04:58 PM
No I don't think there is anyway to tell how many you've activated, but you only get 10 activations before you have to call in and request more. When you call in they give you 5 more activations.

Note: I've never had to call in yet, I'm just saying this from what I've heard.

brady
04-25-08, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys.

j0j081
04-26-08, 10:42 AM
anyone have a spare key? :D

CaptNKILL
04-26-08, 11:25 AM
Can you still get more activations after you've canceled your technet subscription? I had a one year subscription and got all the software and keys that I wanted. I was told that the keys will always be good, even after the subscription is up... but I don't really know for sure.

einstein_314
04-26-08, 09:47 PM
Can you still get more activations after you've canceled your technet subscription? I had a one year subscription and got all the software and keys that I wanted. I was told that the keys will always be good, even after the subscription is up... but I don't really know for sure.
Yes, from what I understand, your keys are good forever. And if you run out of them (ie activate max number of times) you can still call them up after your subscription has expired and get more keys. My subscription has expired now, so we'll see. I haven't had any problems activating yet. I think I have maybe 1 or 2 more activations of vista ultimate before I'm going to need to call them.