PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else uncomfortable with the GTA and GTA-like games?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

brady
04-24-08, 11:44 AM
I expect to get a lot of crap for this but I just thought it would be interesting to see if there's anyone else who has similar feelings.

Basically, I just don't like GTA or similar games. I can play GOW and chainsaw an ugly monster, play Crysis and shoot Koreans, play Splinter Cell and shoot an innocent while pretending to be a terrorist, but for the life of me I have simply never been able to get into GTA or any game like it. Somehow, somewhere the game crosses a line for me. Anyone else feel the same?

DiscipleDOC
04-24-08, 11:47 AM
I expect to get a lot of crap for this but I just thought it would be interesting to see if there's anyone else who has similar feelings.

Basically, I just don't like GTA or similar games. I can play GOW and chainsaw an ugly monster, play Crysis and shoot Koreans, play Splinter Cell and shoot an innocent while pretending to be a terrorist, but for the life of me I have simply never been able to get into GTA or any game like it. Somehow, somewhere the game crosses a line for me. Anyone else feel the same?
I do. I've never really voiced my opinion about that genre of games, but it disturbs me to have games that glorifies carjacking and killing innocent people.

Zelda_fan
04-24-08, 11:49 AM
I don't really like GTA either. Don't think they should be banned, but I think the games are kind of retarded.

Marvel_us
04-24-08, 11:56 AM
I don't really like GTA either. Don't think they should be banned, but I think the games are kind of retarded.

+1, I don't really find GTA games that interesting. That said I may give this one a try and see if I can get into it. If not then oh well, at least I tried.

brady
04-24-08, 11:58 AM
It's nice to know I'm not alone on this. With the sales figures of GTA games I figured I was the only human on the planet with no interest in the games.

Zelda_fan
04-24-08, 12:13 PM
It's nice to know I'm not alone on this. With the sales figures of GTA games I figured I was the only human on the planet with no interest in the games.

there are millions of wanna-be thugs out there that will always boost the GTA sales. Normal human beings don't really have an interest in it.

Mr. Hunt
04-24-08, 12:23 PM
there are millions of wanna-be thugs out there that will always boost the GTA sales. Normal human beings don't really have an interest in it.

So are you a wannabe boy in green tights?

I don't want to be a thug, and I am nowhere near "gangsta", but I enjoy the GTA games because of the free roaming, and GASP! THE STORY! The games do have storylines that can be good/decent sometimes. I don't just run around the whole time killing hookers. You must've never experienced a GTA game (they never made it over to Nintendo, so I guess I see why). I truly enjoy when I first play a new GTA, intro plays, and then you are dropped in on the character and you just look around... and you can go everywhere. Usually they place a nice bike/moped there for you to get on your way... it is just a fun experience. I don't play it and then go around thinking about getting a hooker, then killing her so I can get my money back. Or running over a bunch of people. It is just a game... I am mature enough to know that, others should be also. You do not have to be a thug to enjoy the game (hell, most of those guys are probably out actually killing, raping, stealing, etc. in the REAL WORLD). I can fully understand somebody not enjoying the series. But to say something like "Normal human beings don't really have an interest in it" is rather retarded.

Go back to playing your fairy tales and masturbating to Zelda, I will have fun with a huge city to explore.

S.I.N
04-24-08, 12:23 PM
You don't have to kill innocent people in GTA you know. In fact in all the games its basically bad guys coming after you and like your other games you kill the bad guys. Regardless to each his own but I think its very silly to try and inject such a human element into a silly game like GTA yet you have no problem mass murdering in other games and probably watch the most violent of films.:o

nekrosoft13
04-24-08, 12:27 PM
I also don't like GTA, most of its pointless violence. There some games that might be similar but I do like. For example Mafia, in some ways it’s similar, but then also every different.

I know GTA are M-Rated games, but it does really seem like the target audience are teens.

HiCZoK4
04-24-08, 12:28 PM
It is just simple as that.
Gta style games are mostly retarded as hell but driving around and blowing everything makes for it. Offcourse if its not served as postal games, I cant stand How killing innocent can be a main rule of the game?

But as for GTA. Its fun to try some things in game rather than in real life. Like stunts and crashes. But I dont find Sadistic ways of killing everything what moves any fun.

Waiting for gtaIV :D:D:D

Destroy
04-24-08, 12:31 PM
Level of realism is not there yet for me to feel the same as OP. It's all too fake and canned.

If the gfx, sounds, etc, etc were totally life like then yeah, I would definitely start feeling the same way.

Zelda_fan
04-24-08, 12:37 PM
So are you a wannabe boy in green tights?

I don't want to be a thug, and I am nowhere near "gangsta", but I enjoy the GTA games because of the free roaming, and GASP! THE STORY! The games do have storylines that can be good/decent sometimes. I don't just run around the whole time killing hookers. You must've never experienced a GTA game (they never made it over to Nintendo, so I guess I see why). I truly enjoy when I first play a new GTA, intro plays, and then you are dropped in on the character and you just look around... and you can go everywhere. Usually they place a nice bike/moped there for you to get on your way... it is just a fun experience. I don't play it and then go around thinking about getting a hooker, then killing her so I can get my money back. Or running over a bunch of people. It is just a game... I am mature enough to know that, others should be also. You do not have to be a thug to enjoy the game (hell, most of those guys are probably out actually killing, raping, stealing, etc. in the REAL WORLD). I can fully understand somebody not enjoying the series. But to say something like "Normal human beings don't really have an interest in it" is rather retarded.

Go back to playing your fairy tales and masturbating to Zelda, I will have fun with a huge city to explore.

Ever since I've joined this forum, I've always pictured you as a wanna-be thug who beats off to Michael Flatley. My opinion hasn't changed in the slightest.

ViN86
04-24-08, 12:38 PM
i would never do anything that i do in GTA in real life. i understand the difference between reality and a videogame.

that's probably why i dont have a problem with the game.

methimpikehoses
04-24-08, 12:42 PM
I have a problem with children playing it, honestly. Much of it is tasteless. My kid won't be playing it.

brady
04-24-08, 12:45 PM
Will somebody explain the story of GTA a little better? So, for example, could I play the game as a "good" guy in that I avoid hookers and needlessly stealing and killing? In every other game I play there's a pretty clear good/bad story (even if it's a bad one). I understand it's a game and I'm hardly endorsing the position that it be banned or that you're a "thug" with a heart full of wickedness if you play it. I just simply find the material the game seems to endorse distastefull and have therefore avoided it.

Zelda_fan
04-24-08, 12:46 PM
Mr Hunt, if you pitched a tent to the Hot Coffee mod, you deserve mockery and ridicule.

Zelda_fan
04-24-08, 12:47 PM
Will somebody explain the story of GTA a little better? So, for example, could I play the game as a "good" guy in that I avoid hookers and needlessly stealing and killing? In every other game I play there's a pretty clear good/bad story (even if it's a bad one). I understand it's a game and I'm hardly endorsing the position that it be banned or that you're a "thug" with a heart full of wickedness if you play it. I just simply find the material the game seems to endorse distastefull and have therefore avoided it.

It's pretty simple. You're a gangsta-style thug who just got busted out of the clink. Crackers, ho's, and pigs, are all trying to cramp your gangsta style. As a result your objective is to pull your your AK and cap as many asses as possible.

nekrosoft13
04-24-08, 12:58 PM
I have a problem with children playing it, honestly. Much of it is tasteless. My kid won't be playing it.

you need to realise that if your kid (not sure how old he/she is) wants to play it, they will find a way. Is not like you gonna follow them 24/7. Go with them to their friends house.

|MaguS|
04-24-08, 12:59 PM
It's pretty simple. You're a gangsta-style thug who just got busted out of the clink. Crackers, ho's, and pigs, are all trying to cramp your gangsta style. As a result your objective is to pull your your AK and cap as many asses as possible.
if your serious then that comment clearly shows that you never have played the series. Im not even a fan of the series and have given them a shot. I dislike them because the story is too lose for me. I don't mind the violence rather I get side tracked and then bored.

You can go through a GTA game without killing innocent people if you are good at the game, Hookers are 100% optional most of the time aswell.

Take San Andreas, the premise was that you were a gansta thug but were trying to turn your life around when you get approached in the beginning by crooked cops who try to drag you back into the problems. It then turns into a downward spiral that you try to pull yourself out of.

Vice City is about revange, you had money stolen and a friend killed so you want to get back at the bastards and have to jump through hoops to get to the person responsible.

Imagine the GTA series being about an anti-hero. Someone who is trying to do good (in some form or another) but in the process bad things happen so he can accomplish his ultimate goal.

you need to realise that if your kid (not sure how old he/she is) wants to play it, they will find a way. Is not like you gonna follow them 24/7. Go with them to their friends house.

Not if your a good parent and your kid respects your decisions and rules. I know when I was 10 or so my parents didn't like me playing Doom and Mortal Kombat. My dad actually bought it for me and my mother made him return it. I didn't go behind my parents back because I knew that if I was caught doing so I would be grounded and get my ass beat for disrespecting them.

S.I.N
04-24-08, 01:03 PM

You don't have to kill pedestrians or jack cars. I didn't even know you could pick up hookers until I read about it in a faq. No one is saying its not about crime but its just a game just like a movie is just a movie. And the best way I can easy describe the story is that of say Scarface or even The Godfather. You are a criminal on a escalator going up in rank.

Also if anything the body count is less in this game than say a Call of Duty or a Medal of Honor because you are not just killing and killing and killing for 12 hours straight.

Zelda_fan
04-24-08, 01:05 PM
if your serious then that comment clearly shows that you never have played the series. Im not even a fan of the series and have given them a shot. I dislike them because the story is too lose for me. I don't mind the violence rather I get side tracked and then bored.

I played GTA III on my roomate's PS2 when I was in college. I think I remember it starting out with me getting out of prison. I stole someone gun, and shot a ho in the face. Was pretty sweet. All the game needs is a streetball mini-game, and it would be the greatest of all time.

nekrosoft13
04-24-08, 01:06 PM
Not if your a good parent and your kid respects your decisions and rules. I know when I was 10 or so my parents didn't like me playing Doom and Mortal Kombat. My dad actually bought it for me and my mother made him return it. I didn't go behind my parents back because I knew that if I was caught doing so I would be grounded and get my ass beat for disrespecting them.

times change, back in the day kids generally had more respect

|MaguS|
04-24-08, 01:07 PM
I played GTA III on my roomate's PS2 when I was in college. I think I remember it starting out with me getting out of prison. I stole someone gun, and shot a ho in the face. Was pretty sweet. All the game needs is a streetball mini-game, and it would be the greatest of all time.

You should have done less crack in college and you might have remembered the game properly...

|MaguS|
04-24-08, 01:08 PM
times change, back in the day kids generally had more respect
And the parents should be blamed...

Zelda_fan
04-24-08, 01:27 PM
You should have done less crack in college and you might have remembered the game properly...

it's not my fault. GTA taught me how to deal crack and I got addicted to my own supply :(