PDA

View Full Version : What would be causing this?

bacon12
04-24-08, 04:10 PM
My vista 64 install was working so well, and I was even bragging about how it. Last night I installed SP1 and after rebooted and everything was fine, I played a few games to make sure.

Today however I boot up, and everything is slow as hell? So I start looking around and see my CPU load is 60-80%:thumbdwn:

I start looking for any new processes, and find none. Perfmon doesn't show that much cpu usage but task manager does.

So I sys restore back to pre SP1, still same bs. I thought maybe my CPU is going bad, nope XP runs fine.

Any suggestions to what it may be? I would like to at least try to trouble shoot before I reformat.

I am so bummed as I was starting to have some faith in Vista, and using it as my daily DT. :o

JerseySeven
04-24-08, 05:34 PM
Sorry you're having problems. Don't panic and reformat until you know for sure that it's your only option.

Maybe Vista is just rebuilding the search index or something? Check Control Panel > Indexing Options should indicate if it's in the middle of a indexing scan.

Check Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Problem Reports and Solutions > View problem history. Anything there?

Good luck to you. I hope it turns out to be something simple.

Revs
04-24-08, 05:49 PM
What does Task Manager say is eating up your CPU powers?

bacon12
04-24-08, 07:11 PM
That was my first thought it was indexing, but I shut it off and was still getting hammered.

I don't know what it was, but after an hour or so in XP I did a complete shutdown, and now Vista is fine.

@ revs there was no offinding process that I saw??