PDA

View Full Version : Best HD brand?

Pages : [1] 2

ALobpreis
05-04-03, 03:06 AM
Quite a difficult poll, but let's make some stadistics.

What's your favourite HD brand??
Mine used to be Quantum, but now.... I really don't have one. Should I like Maxtor??
We all know luck has a big hit in personal opinions about these particular storage devices, so it's hard to have a definitive answer.
Let's roll!

(Of course, it's about IDE drivers, I don't know if in SCSI the scene differs)

Sazar
05-04-03, 03:23 AM
for me... ide == maxtor...

scsi == seagate

Smokey
05-04-03, 05:27 AM
Maxtor for me :thumbsup:

vampireuk
05-04-03, 06:58 AM
Maxtor, I've gone off WD after I got one DOA for this rig. I have a replacement but I still don't trust it:eek2:

ALobpreis
05-04-03, 06:59 AM
Do you like Maxtor since it bought Quantum or did you like it before already?

vampireuk
05-04-03, 07:09 AM
Well I've always liked Maxtor really, my older system which I have had for over 2 years now still has a MAxtor 30GB drive in it. That is still working well now:) Seagate are another one I like, I bought a Seagate 80GB drive in september last year since I had just got broadband and 30GB is just not enough.:D That drive is still working well too, Seagate are pretty cheap drives, but they perform well:cool:

monkeydust
05-04-03, 07:12 AM
w00t! Go Maxtor! :D

I've been using Maxtor exclusively for the last few years and haven't had any problems.

ALobpreis
05-04-03, 07:24 AM
I've seen several HDs die...
Two WDC (850 Mb and 2,5 Gb), a friend's Maxtor VL20, and now this same friend actual Seagate 20 Gb (replaced the VL20) is making some weird and suspicious noises... :(
Another forum friend has a Maxtor 40 Gb that every now and then makes a "CLANK!" that makes him worry quite a lot.
IBM said that famous thing of only using the HD for no more than 8 hours...
Quantum was the only brand I blindly trusted... :( :cry:
Did Maxtor acquire Quantum's reliability? (BTW, Maxtor Fireballs are the slowest drives of their line).
Samsung are one of the worst drivers around..... they all die! :eek:
A guy from a computer shop said that Fujitsu are excellent drives, but with just a bad image.

Does Conner still exist?? :confused:

Kain
05-04-03, 08:49 AM
I thought the new Western Digital hard drives were meant to be consider some of the best, no?

vampireuk
05-04-03, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Kain
I thought the new Western Digital hard drives were meant to be consider some of the best, no?

They have had a bad batch lately I think.

Did Maxtor acquire Quantum's reliability? (BTW, Maxtor Fireballs are the slowest drives of their line).

From my experience they are very reliable :cool:

Kain
05-04-03, 09:23 AM
They have had a bad batch lately I think. So I should avoid the Western Digital?

vampireuk
05-04-03, 09:32 AM
Well as ALobpreis said luck is quite a large factor with hardrives. Some people swear by a certain model while others curse its name. At the moment I say go with Maxtor, they are making great drives:)

Kain
05-04-03, 10:31 AM
Which is the fastest 80GB Maxtor IDE hard drive? How does its speed compare to the Western Digital WD800JB?

Smokey
05-04-03, 10:31 AM
Ive had this Maxtor DiamondMax 27.5GB drive for about 4years now, its never missed a beat. The wifes pc, which is mad up of all my old stuff ;) has a Fuji 7GB hard drive thats around 5years old, still going strong also :)

The next drive I would like to get is a 120GB Maxtor w/8meg cache :afro:

Riptide
05-04-03, 10:37 AM
For me it's Western Digital (IDE) and Seagate (SCSI)...

Kain
05-04-03, 10:47 AM
What is the difference between the Maxtor MaXLine Plus II and the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9?

ALobpreis
05-04-03, 12:30 PM
One thing I don't like about Maxtor is the heat... I've tested several Maxtors in my PC, one <forgotten model> 40 Gb, one D740X 40 Gb, and one DiamondMax Plus 8 30 Gb; they are all 7200 RPM. All of them caused quite a lot of heat, and I didn't liked that. My Quantum Fireball Plus LM 30 Gb (7200 RPM) doesn't heat even a bit. :) Yes, it's noisier, but I think heat is worse for the data.

Originally posted by Kain
What is the difference between the Maxtor MaXLine Plus II and the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9?

MaXLine Plus II (http://www.maxtor.com/en/products/ata/enterprise_applications/maxline_ii/index.htm) (big, near-line applications)

(It's weird it's not here (http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/products/index.htm). :confused: )

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 (http://www.maxtor.com/en/products/ata/desktop/diamondmax_plus_9/index.htm).

Kain
05-04-03, 01:03 PM
I already check those websites out, but I still can't figure out what is the difference.

What is the performance difference between the two?

LORD-eX-Bu
05-04-03, 02:26 PM
have had 2 WD drives die on me, no Maxtors have failed yet, so Maxtor:thumbsup:

Kain
05-04-03, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by [eNv]-LORD-eX-Bu
have had 2 WD drives die on me, no Maxtors have failed yet, so Maxtor:thumbsup: Yeah, but what is the difference between the two Maxtors I posted?

ALobpreis
05-04-03, 03:16 PM
Why don't just check Maxtor site and read? :p

The MaXLine is for big backups, it's slower, and to replace tapes. DiamondMax is for everyday use.

MaXLine (http://www.maxtor.com/en/products/ata/enterprise_applications/maxline_ii/features.htm) and DiamondMax (http://www.maxtor.com/en/products/ata/desktop/diamondmax_plus_9/features.htm).

I'm pretty sure the DiamondMax is faster, BTW. Furthermore, the MaXLine is 5400 RPM.

styles-T
05-04-03, 03:42 PM
WD here...I have 2 (80G 8MB Cache WD) drives..and they are running fine..Ive also had a 40gig Seagate and a 60gig IBM that lasted me for about 3 years with no problems..Guess Im just lucky when it comes to HD's...

Machine_1969
05-04-03, 11:32 PM
Seagate.

I was a fan of Western Digital for years, but I like the silence of my new Seagate drives.

The Baron
05-04-03, 11:38 PM
After reading AshG's review of the new SATA drives from Maxtor... oi vey, definitely Maxtor.

PsychoSy
05-05-03, 11:16 AM
This is going by memory so...

Fujitsu no longer makes IDE harddrives for the consumer markets, bowing out of the race near the end of the 90s. They mainly concentrate on SCSI devices for the business market today. Conner got absorbed by Seagate around 1996 or so. Lastly, from what I understand, Maxtor only bought the consumer arm of Quantum. Quantum still controlls and manufactures their own professional SCSI oriented wares.

Nevertheless, the Maxtor purchase was the best thing to happen to Quantum. After their Fireball line, their reliability tanked because of the Bigfoot embarrassment. What Maxtor really wanted in that purchase was Quantum's expertise in logistics (the controller chips on the PCB, basically).

My personal prefferences?

IDE: Maxtor or WD - can't go wrong with either. Make sure warranty is 3 years, tho.

SCSI: Seagate - PERIOD! :D