PDA

View Full Version : Big UT3 performance drop after PC on for 2-3 hours

XxDeadlyxX
04-24-08, 11:23 PM
Using Vista 64, when I first turn on PC, UT3 runs great. Running a benchmark on Sanctuary, I get 87 fps. Ingame, fps rarely drops below 60fps. However, after my PC has been running for around 2-3 hours approx, UT3 performance is signficantly worse.

After this amount of time, the same benchmark only gets 72fps instead of 87. Ingame however it feels a LOT worse, ie. looking at any long draw distances makes fps go to around 30, whereas it would otherwise be 60 when PC first turned on.

It has happened EVERY time with no exceptions, the only programs I would always run during the first 2-3 hours are IE7, Outlook 2007, WMP11. Programs I have in the background are AnyDVD, X-Fi Mode Changer, AVG, Lexmark Printer software, Comodo, and the Vista sidebar with only clock and eBay sidebar tool.

Anyone else get this problem? Does anyone think it would be one of these applications causing it, or more likely a driver problem or Vista problem? None of my background programs have any irregular CPU usage either, so it's not that. I'm running nvidia driver 174.93.

mailman2
04-25-08, 01:34 PM
Using Vista 64, when I first turn on PC, UT3 runs great. Running a benchmark on Sanctuary, I get 87 fps. Ingame, fps rarely drops below 60fps. However, after my PC has been running for around 2-3 hours approx, UT3 performance is signficantly worse.

After this amount of time, the same benchmark only gets 72fps instead of 87. Ingame however it feels a LOT worse, ie. looking at any long draw distances makes fps go to around 30, whereas it would otherwise be 60 when PC first turned on.

It has happened EVERY time with no exceptions, the only programs I would always run during the first 2-3 hours are IE7, Outlook 2007, WMP11. Programs I have in the background are AnyDVD, X-Fi Mode Changer, AVG, Lexmark Printer software, Comodo, and the Vista sidebar with only clock and eBay sidebar tool.

Anyone else get this problem? Does anyone think it would be one of these applications causing it, or more likely a driver problem or Vista problem? None of my background programs have any irregular CPU usage either, so it's not that. I'm running nvidia driver 174.93.

try disabling SuperFetch. I find the longer my PC is on, the more gets cached, the worse the PC runs. I have disabled it but it still uses every last bit of memory. Really wish you could disable the constant caching in Vista as I have a feeling it's about 99% of the problem with Vista and why sometimes it feels bloated.

XxDeadlyxX
04-26-08, 05:43 AM
Good suggestion but unfortunately it didn't work. It lasted for 3-4 hours working fine, so I thought it was okay, but then it switched to the bad performance again (~70fps in the benchmark instead of 86-87).