PDA

View Full Version : What is this folding@home crap?

Peoples-Agent
04-25-08, 06:59 PM
No, really.

What is this folding@home nonsense?

You can help by simply running a piece of software.
Folding@home is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer takes the project closer to our goals. Folding@home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.

I bought my fooking machine to play games, watch TV and movies with... not waste resources on curing cancer. I'll die of cancer oneday, so will my children probably.... I care about this nonsense asmuch as I do the OZone layer.

In such a rich world of endless possibilty, why is this responsibility passed down to the carbon footprint of your average person?

I'll start folding once Paris Hilton buys a football pitch of PS3s provided with tv and electric and stops sucking dick for awhile, it wont be anything off her familys wealth.

Does anyone know how to remove this nonsense from my PS3 xmb thing?

|MaguS|
04-25-08, 07:02 PM
um theres a delete option...

Revs
04-25-08, 07:10 PM
:headexplode:

Zelda_fan
04-25-08, 08:21 PM
I'll start folding once Paris Hilton buys a football pitch of PS3s provided with tv and electric and stops sucking dick for awhile, it wont be anything off her familys wealth.

There is nothing wrong with ho's like Paris Hilton sucking dick, because it provides valuable stress relief, so please don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Lyme
04-25-08, 09:07 PM
Peoples-Agent if your interested in helping out pharmaceutical companies via Stanford, folding @ home is a great way for them to use your time and money to get there. Until IP law in the USA changes, don't expect anything different. Your helping, but you will still end up paying for it in the end.

Running it 24/7 can also decrease the life expectancy of your PS3.

Peoples-Agent
04-26-08, 04:21 AM
Few too many beers and a pointless rant, story of my weekend so far.

Now I have worked out how to transfer files from PC to PS3 wirelessly, I am happy again.

And Zelda, ofcourse it provides stress relief aslong as your on the receiving end. lol

BioHazZarD
04-26-08, 07:28 AM
You cant remove it, but the simple fact is, nobody forces you to run it just click off and problem solved. Dont act like a dick.

ViN86
04-26-08, 10:05 AM
No, really.

What is this folding@home nonsense?

I bought my fooking machine to play games, watch TV and movies with... not waste resources on curing cancer. I'll die of cancer oneday, so will my children probably.... I care about this nonsense asmuch as I do the OZone layer.

In such a rich world of endless possibilty, why is this responsibility passed down to the carbon footprint of your average person?

Does anyone know how to remove this nonsense from my PS3 xmb thing?
yes, curing cancer is wasting resources, you asshole.

second off, it's for protein folding and molecular dynamics simulation and it extends beyond cancer research.

i fail to see how zero time of yours is too much to give.

ralinn
04-26-08, 11:04 AM
There should be some kinda security checkboxes when clicking submit :)

Have you been drinking at all in the last 12 hours? *TICK*

"*THREAD DELETED* This is for your own good."

Peoples-Agent
04-26-08, 06:40 PM
yes, curing cancer is wasting resources, you asshole.

second off, it's for protein folding and molecular dynamics simulation and it extends beyond cancer research.

i fail to see how zero time of yours is too much to give.

Like fook is this curing cancer.

Do you really think if a cure was found it would be a given for all? ...like hell it would.

It would be there for the privelaged and rich alone, to maintain the so called population balance.

So no, I do not want this on my hardware.

Sony are getting back handers for putting this on these machines, guaranteed.

XDanger
04-26-08, 06:49 PM
seti@home ftw .At least that has a point

The aliens will cure cancer for us!!

npras42
04-27-08, 05:01 AM
Like fook is this curing cancer.

Do you really think if a cure was found it would be a given for all? ...like hell it would.

It would be there for the privelaged and rich alone, to maintain the so called population balance.

So no, I do not want this on my hardware.

Sony are getting back handers for putting this on these machines, guaranteed.

This is the biggest load of toss I've heard all week! :thumbdwn:

ralinn
04-27-08, 06:23 AM
This is the biggest load of toss I've heard all week! :thumbdwn:
I would have to agree.

Lyme
04-27-08, 12:54 PM
Folding @ home http://folding.stanford.edu/ is most identified with working on the cure for cancer. This is simply due to cancer being one of the dominant causes of death in western society.

As for big Pharmaceutical companies. It is important to remember that they are just like every other business, in the pursuit of profit. Given the choice between curing a disease once and for all, or simply keeping it at bay, which would you do? The industrious business person would keep it at bay, to ensure company profits long into the future.

Typically most diseases such as smallpox have been wiped out through non-profit, and government organizations. They have the interests of the people as their first priority, not the making of profit.

In addition, most university research departments (in the USA) will work using government funding for years http://www.nih.gov/about/NIHoverview.html . Once they have made a discovery, they will roll that into a business of their own, or sell it to a large company. Those companies will then sell back to you, what you paid for to begin with.

Simply enough, monetary profit making is not in the best interests of the population when it comes to health. http://newstandardnews.net/content/?action=show_item&itemid=1439

Peoples-Agent
04-27-08, 01:01 PM
Think people got me wrong, and sure my attitude come across as being harsh but for good reason. I really do believe this particular "folding" was a means of Sony profiteering. I'll do my part by continuing to donate to certain cancer research charities, not leaving my PS3 on 24/7 for the so called better good. It's dodgy, and iffy.

npras42
04-27-08, 01:12 PM
It is profiting Sony because it markets their Cell BE technology but that is an aside. The intentions of the Folding@Home project can't be questioned at all. It was around long before PS3 or Cell and whatever Sony's intentions were for including it as part of the console should make no difference to whether you want to help them complete their research or not.

Sazar
04-27-08, 01:20 PM
Think people got me wrong, and sure my attitude come across as being harsh but for good reason. I really do believe this particular "folding" was a means of Sony profiteering. I'll do my part by continuing to donate to certain cancer research charities, not leaving my PS3 on 24/7 for the so called better good. It's dodgy, and iffy.

You can join the team or not, your choice.

The PS3 allows you to let it automatically shut-off after completing a work unit, you don't have to let it run all day long if you don't want to.

I have chosen to do so, others have not, it's a personal choice. Contributing for a team helps to identify the users and provides a friendly competition v/s other teams, no more, no less.