PDA

View Full Version : How to Fix PC Gaming Once and for All

Mr Bigman
04-26-08, 11:00 PM
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2286801,00.asp

I have to agree with these issues so have it out guys and voice your thoughts.

K007
04-26-08, 11:30 PM
Like he said...PC Gaming dosen't need fixing ><, but those idea's he has there will help it prosper more..

Console being an easier purchase than a PC is why Consoles are more successful in sales. Your average joe wouldn't know the difference between the 8800GT the GTX or the 9800GTX...he would only know what it says on the box and each product varies alot depending on your needs and the game it plays it on.

I am not 100% sure on this..but do the GPU boxes indicate what Ress this GPU is best capable at?

nutcrackr
04-26-08, 11:39 PM
The guy basically says what PCGA is trying to do.

Uberpwnage
04-26-08, 11:53 PM
I am not 100% sure on this..but do the GPU boxes indicate what Ress this GPU is best capable at?
Not really, if they do, it doesn't mean anything. Any 8 or 9 series card will say it's meant for "Extreme HD Gaming", when in fact an 8600 can't run many new games on high quality at 1680x1050 or above. And they certainly won't tell you whether or not a card is overkill for lower resolutions.

Zelda_fan
04-27-08, 12:18 AM
I love how some pipsqeak journalist from ExtremeTech thinks he understands how to run a successful business model in the video game industry.

Here's the reality: except for a few RARE exceptions (like World of Warcraft) a game released on a console will always turn a higher profit than a game released on the PC. The people who develope these games have real families and real mouthes to feed and those responsibilities transcend any sort of "OMG PC GAMING iZ sO MCUH B3TTER!" bull****. Game development studios will make whatever decisions turn better profits (right now that is console gaming ITS A FACT) and some pimple-faced twerp from ExtremeTech has no right to demand otherwise.

I'm not saying PC gaming is dead, but I am saying a big STFU to all the pimple-faced losers who tell game developers to "quit moaning and deal with it and make our games." They are trying to run a business you assholes.

Zelda_fan
04-27-08, 12:34 AM
My personal opinion on the matter is that PC gaming will always have a nitch. There will always be that 1% of the market that is willing to spend a grand a year on keeping his computer up to date to play the latest games. You will always have at least one major online game (right now it's World of Warcraft) as well, so PC gaming isn't going anywhere.

Most gamers though, really don't care about that slightly shaper image that you get when you buy the latest nVidia GPU. They just want to play the game and have fun. For them consoles are a better option, and that's why their are more Wiis, 360s, and PS3s out there than their are GeForce 8+ equipped computers. So if you develop a game for consoles you already have a much bigger market.

a12ctic
04-27-08, 12:42 AM
I love how some pipsqeak journalist from ExtremeTech thinks he understands how to run a successful business model in the video game industry.

Here's the reality: except for a few RARE exceptions (like World of Warcraft) a game released on a console will always turn a higher profit than a game released on the PC. The people who develope these games have real families and real mouthes to feed and those responsibilities transcend any sort of "OMG PC GAMING iZ sO MCUH B3TTER!" bull****. Game development studios will make whatever decisions turn better profits (right now that is console gaming ITS A FACT) and some pimple-faced twerp from ExtremeTech has no right to demand otherwise.

I'm not saying PC gaming is dead, but I am saying a big STFU to all the pimple-faced losers who tell game developers to "quit moaning and deal with it and make our games." They are trying to run a business you assholes.

He's just voicing his opinion, hes not launching a personal attack on anyone. You post on NVNews, does that make you a pimpled face loser too? You're not the genius you think you are. He's just making constructive points towards improving the situation of PC gaming. Get your panties out of your ass and grow up.

Zelda_fan
04-27-08, 01:21 AM
He's just voicing his opinion, hes not launching a personal attack on anyone. You post on NVNews, does that make you a pimpled face loser too? You're not the genius you think you are. He's just making constructive points towards improving the situation of PC gaming. Get your panties out of your ass and grow up.

look at my sig bro. My computer is so much better than yours

Crow_Nest
04-27-08, 01:46 AM
I actually kinda agree with the onboard graphics thing. But then again even those gaming grade desktops i see on sale here are usually coupled with entry level graphics that are already dated. Whats the point when it cant even handle yesterday's games decently at all. Why cant they just throw in a mid-range card and make the consumer pay more to actually get a GAMING GRADE computer rather than a half cooked one? I havent checked the newer desktops though, but so far ive rarely seen any gaming desktops come with a decent card for gaming.

As for the piracy thing, am i the only one whos sick of it?

six_storm
04-27-08, 07:51 AM
Integrated graphics chipsets should be stopped right here and right now. My half year old Intel X3100 (laptop) can BARELY run Unreal Tournament '99. WTF? I should at least be able to run 2K4! So thanks Intel! Proves once again you can't make nothing good other than CPUs.

|MaguS|
04-27-08, 08:34 AM
Integrated graphics chipsets should be stopped right here and right now. My half year old Intel X3100 (laptop) can BARELY run Unreal Tournament '99. WTF? I should at least be able to run 2K4! So thanks Intel! Proves once again you can't make nothing good other than CPUs.
The Intergrated GPUs are garbage. I remember reading how the X3100 can ply BF2 smoothly but it was barely capable of playing sam and max!

walterman
04-27-08, 08:49 AM
"OEMs: Stop Using Intel Onboard Graphics"

QFT !

Retrolock
04-27-08, 09:09 AM
^They don't have a choice because Intel shoves it up their asses.

evox
04-27-08, 09:17 AM
DO you? That pipesquek journalist knows a hell lot more about the IT/Games Industry than people like you will.

|MaguS|
04-27-08, 09:45 AM
^They don't have a choice because Intel shoves it up their asses.
They do actually... nvidia and ATI offer solutions. they just choose not to use them... or intel uses anti competitive practices... which im willing to bet is the case.

Retrolock
04-27-08, 10:21 AM
or intel uses anti competitive practices... which im willing to bet is the case.

Bingo. AMD even sued Intel regarding this one afaik.

JigenD
04-27-08, 11:13 AM
PC gaming is doing fine. Just ask Blizzard.

Seriously the funniest part of the whole article. Of course Blizzard is happy about PC gaming right now, they're raping it. No other MMO can succeed while WoW is king. No other game on PC can hold a candle to WoW's success.

OEMs: Stop Using Intel Onboard Graphics

Would really be a big thing, however it's not realistic. The vast majority of people don't buy PCs for PC gaming, and not using ****ty onboard graphics solutions would raise prices. Not many OEMs will sell a computer with onboard graphics in their 'gaming' sections.

Fix the Piracy Problem or Shut Up About it

Hilarious, I don't believe the media has any right to tell developers and publishers what to do. I believe there are ways these companies could go above improving the piracy situation, but I would never tell any company to stop expressing their opinions in interviews and such.

Stop Relying on NPD for Sales Data

NPD doesn't even cover PC game sales, NOONE is relying on NPD, not even fanboys on forums. Only time NPD covers anything PC gaming related is when they do special projects. It's hilarious to see someone whining about the leading company in a field not doing what they want them to do. NPD isn't for end users, it's for publishers. The article writer is an idiot though, WoW is rarely if ever the BEST selling game, the game only has 3-4 million subscribers in North America, and that's what NPD covers.

Somebody Step Up and Advocate

Advocating a console makes sense however, because you get money out of it. Many of the PC hardware companies make money in other ways, however Intel, Nvidia, and sometimes even MS DO 'step up', however it seems the article writer wants them to 'step up' with hundreds of millions of dollars for promotions.

Stop Taking Sides

This one goes out to all the pasty white nerds who think posting on message boards means something in the real world—shut up.

Et tu, ****tard. We're allowed to discuss these things, and you're allowed to post your misinformed claptraps on your ****ty website. For me, although I have preferences, it has nothing to do with 'ownership', I could waste $5000 on a top of the line PC from some builder company today if I wanted to, (I could also spend $1000 to build my own, but I'm making a point). Sometimes people just want to discuss stuff, even if it doesn't really 'mean' anything.

SeriTonin
04-27-08, 11:22 AM
theres a pc vs console thread for this stuff. I thought you left, fat bastard...er...bigman?

pc gaming doesn't need fixing, pc gaming isn't ****ed. The people are ****ed and need fixing, pc's aren't downloading illegal games, people are. People are to blame, we just like to point fingers elsewhere.

3DBrad
04-27-08, 03:02 PM
PC gaming is the backbone of console gaming.

You make games on the PC first, people who are now in the industry usually started out making a mod on the PC (except the type of games that is 95% programming, like 'back in the day' and 5% art).

It's like saying engines in cars today are so good, we don't need transmissions nor wheels!

crainger
04-27-08, 04:23 PM
PC gaming is the backbone of console gaming.

You make games on the PC first, people who are now in the industry usually started out making a mod on the PC (except the type of games that is 95% programming, like 'back in the day' and 5% art).

It's like saying engines in cars today are so good, we don't need transmissions nor wheels!

This is very true, but still we will see a decrease in games made for PC, there will be the few like HL, Unreal, Quake, NWN, and these will be the ones the modders use to get their foot in the door/study. It goes back to the saying. PC gaming might be on a downhill for now, but it will never die.