PDA

View Full Version : Valve dumbs down Medic achievements

Pages : [1] 2

evox
04-27-08, 10:54 AM
Congrats to all the people that whined/cried about medic unlocks, valve has dumbed them down so anyone with 10hrs as medic can get all 39 (yeah, not 36) of them.

One of the (supposedly) VALVe employees, Tim Dorr, has revealed some additional details about the upcoming medic unlocks in his Flickr photo stream. If the pictures are to be believed, many achievements have been dumbed down. These include:

Medical Breakthrough:

Assist in destroying 8 enemy engineer buildings with a single uber-charge on a Demoman.

The number of buildings has been toned down to 5.

You’ll Feel A Little Prick:

Assist in killing 4 enemies with single uber-charge on a scout.

The number of kills has been toned down to 3 enemies.

Big Pharma:

Assist a heavy in killing 30 enemies where neither of you die.

The number has now been toned down to 20.

Blunt Trauma:

Assist in punching out 4 enemies with a single uber-charge on a heavy.

The number of enemies to punch has been toned down to 2.

Chief of Staff:

Accumulate 10 million total heal points.

The number of heal points required has been dumbed down to 1million. 9 million decrease.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3023/2444139079_95ed015299_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2363/2444139319_592ec15a3b_b.jpg

View of rest of his photos at: http://flickr.com/photos/timdorr/page3/

Steam forums thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676607

Pretty lame, really. I was looking forward to getting 10mil heals (as I have 2.5mil) beh:thumbdwn:

|MaguS|
04-27-08, 11:02 AM
Dam consoles!

evox
04-27-08, 11:10 AM
Dam consoles!
:rolleyes:

Gee, thanks for your insightful commentary.

|MaguS|
04-27-08, 11:33 AM
Your welcome.

stncttr908
04-27-08, 11:40 AM
You have to admit some of those were bat**** insane. You don't want everyone switching classes either.

mark501
04-27-08, 11:46 AM
Some of the tweaks were probably necessary

But only 1 million hp? I dont play that much and I'm already halfway there

poullos
04-27-08, 11:55 AM
IMO they should leave the achievements but change the requirements for the unlockables. For example, instead of needing 12 achievements for every new unlock, make it to 6-8 so people can pick the ones which they can do.

Still nice though, they changed some of them...

RAY16
04-27-08, 12:35 PM
Damn cry babies, now I can't feel l33t when I earn one of the harder ones and see somebody else without it... ¬_¬

evox
04-27-08, 12:51 PM
Damn cry babies, now I can't feel l33t when I earn one of the harder ones and see somebody else without it... ¬_¬
That's really not the case. With achievements made so easy, everyone will be running around as medic. Atleast when they were harder, there was a good chance most people wouldn't bother completing them.

10mil heal wasn't for the person who played medic for 4hrs, it was for career medics that actually enjoyed healing people (myself included) 10mil was a bit insane, but it was somewhat of a fun achievement. If you liked playing medic, you would've gotten it in 6-8 months anyway.

And again, achievement/unlocks aren't required to play/enjoy the game. You could just not achieve them if you think they are unbalanced or hard.

poullos
04-27-08, 03:20 PM
That is not a valve employee. He is one of many visiting valve. He said some achievements might carry on and some initiate after the update. He also said Goldrush is fantastic. :)

AngelGraves13
04-27-08, 04:38 PM
Some of the tweaks were probably necessary

But only 1 million hp? I dont play that much and I'm already halfway there

I got 3.5 mill, so I'm good on that one then.

jeffmd
04-27-08, 04:40 PM
you know most of these arnt achievable unless you partner with someone with the express intent of unlocking these. 5 engineer buildings with a demo in one charge? what kind of engy would stick his sentry near another only to get kills stolen from it? not to mention if someone ubers to get rid of that sentry, yours would be next.

5 buildings within pineapple range..it just dosnt happen.

nutcrackr
04-27-08, 07:03 PM
Predictable, so many people complaining about it on the steam forums. I don't think its unreasonable either, you shouldn't have to spend huge amount of hours to get unlocks that most poop sockers can get.

Cream
04-27-08, 07:12 PM
Dam consoles!

Was it not consoles that basically brought us achievements? At least on the scale we have them now.

ChaoticNick
04-27-08, 07:17 PM
I got 3.5 mill, so I'm good on that one then.

Healing points earned before the update count for this achievement?

poullos
04-27-08, 07:18 PM
Healing points earned before the update count for this achievement?
I think yes for the specific one. Not for others like combat achievements.

nutcrackr
04-27-08, 08:29 PM
where do you find the total healing amount on the steam stats page?

Ayepecks
04-27-08, 09:04 PM
Good. Some are still luck-based, but I'd rather have them easier since I don't have a ton of time to play.

And I disagree about them being easy meaning more people will play medic. If people don't want them, they won't play medic regardless of how hard they are. I think if they're harder, you'll have people trying for them longer who stink at medic.

evox
04-28-08, 01:34 AM
you know most of these arnt achievable unless you partner with someone with the express intent of unlocking these. 5 engineer buildings with a demo in one charge? what kind of engy would stick his sentry near another only to get kills stolen from it? not to mention if someone ubers to get rid of that sentry, yours would be next.

5 buildings within pineapple range..it just dosnt happen.
You obviously never had someone build SGs in your intel.

My friends and I used to go to 2fort servers, everyone go engineer and build 5-6 SGs/tele/dispensers in enemy intel. :D Funny thing is, once I joined a server, enemy had 2-3 SGs in our intel and we had 2-3 SGs in theirs. So no one was able to cap:p

jeffmd
04-29-08, 12:38 AM
nobody was able to charge up a single uber? 0o

evox
04-29-08, 01:39 AM
nobody was able to charge up a single uber? 0o
Funny thing, they didn't have a medic! I joined and went medic and we were finally able to destroy the mini base:headexplode:

Badboy_12345
04-29-08, 02:32 AM
Funny thing, they didn't have a medic! I joined and went medic and we were finally able to destroy the mini base:headexplode:

yeah I hate that.. no one wants to go medic on the servers
Hope this update will change things, because I always need to go medic. :(

evox
04-29-08, 02:51 AM
yeah I hate that.. no one wants to go medic on the servers
Hope this update will change things, because I always need to go medic. :(
Personally, I love medic. Medic with a good buddy (especially with a mic) can literally raise hell. I remember healing my friend (who was heavy) and us getting 27 kills before I got killed. And yeah, the Needle gun is awesome. :D

RAY16
04-29-08, 03:20 AM
I've got more play time as Medic than any other class. I enjoy playing support roles in most games that have them, actually.

Badboy_12345
04-29-08, 03:22 AM
Personally, I love medic. Medic with a good buddy (especially with a mic) can literally raise hell. I remember healing my friend (who was heavy) and us getting 27 kills before I got killed. And yeah, the Needle gun is awesome. :D

I like playing the medic also but not all the time. I want to play with other classes too
but if I do that and there is no medic we lose 95% of the time.