PDA

View Full Version : Great Vista tweakguide!

Pages : [1] 2

Toss3
04-28-08, 01:59 AM
Found this amazing vista tweakguide, that helped me get Vista to run even faster and use less space. Highly recommended for those who know what they're doing!

http://www.tweakhound.com/vista/tweakguide/page_1.htm

ASUSEN7900GTX
04-28-08, 11:55 AM
so that sp1cln.exe does wonders?

bacon12
04-28-08, 12:17 PM
It supposedly just removes the old unused pre sp1 files.

tjohn
04-28-08, 12:34 PM
Any other feedback on this????

bacon12
04-28-08, 12:44 PM
I had sp1 installed but after my cpu was freaking out, and I could'nt figure out what it was so I restored back.

ASUSEN7900GTX
04-28-08, 01:10 PM
i did use that vsp1cln.exe or so and some other stuff he had and boy did my Vista go Vroooom and smaller i had earlier around 78 gb free now over 80gb and i used another tweak guide in my "why go vista" thread have a look at that might be of help.

when i bench crysis 64bit in the bench/CMD screen it says specified file not found and something about system and i dl the 1.2patch and i try it i get you need 1,2patch for this hotfix daaah

i thought i did patch it if not iŽl re-install it

tjohn
04-28-08, 06:09 PM
That guy says to leave superfetch alone. I've ready here to make sure and disable it. Which is it?

grey_1
04-28-08, 06:20 PM
Nice find Toss3, Thanks.

@ tjohn, I've always disabled it to quiet the thrashing it causes, with no ill effects. Others may feels differently of course. :)

crainger
04-28-08, 08:12 PM
I leave it on. RAID 0 makes the thrash short and quiet. Plus I also only sleep my PC, so no need to thrash unless I reboot.

j0j081
04-28-08, 09:50 PM
this tweak guide is much better IMO.

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

methimpikehoses
04-28-08, 11:22 PM
I leave it on. RAID 0 makes the thrash short and quiet. Plus I also only sleep my PC, so no need to thrash unless I reboot.

My sleep doesn't work in Vista 64 SP1... the damn thing won't wake up properly. The screen won't come on.

Toss3
04-29-08, 01:55 AM
That guy says to leave superfetch alone. I've ready here to make sure and disable it. Which is it?
Superfetch doesn't really have any affect on performance at least what I've noticed, but I've left it on so that I can utilize at least a good chunk of my 4Gb of ram. :o

Stoneyguy
04-29-08, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the heads up Toss3.

Personally I rather a guide like this that guides me through doing the tweaks manually than to have to install a program to do it.

tjohn
04-29-08, 06:03 AM

My rig seems to like sleep. When woken up it's only using 850mb of ram compared to 1.1gb from a cold boot. I ran the cleanup program no problems and now have superfetchy on with no trashing.

Q
04-29-08, 07:42 AM

Server 08 comes with Superfetch disabled by default.

So you tell me what you should do.

tjohn
04-29-08, 08:01 AM
Server 08 comes with Superfetch disabled by default.

So you tell me what you should do.

Huh! Interesting. Why?

mailman2
04-29-08, 08:52 AM

off here too. System feels snappier without it.

jcrox
04-29-08, 08:53 AM
My rig seems to like sleep. When woken up it's only using 850mb of ram compared to 1.1gb from a cold boot. I ran the cleanup program no problems and now have superfetchy on with no trashing.

850MB :scarey:

disable some services and do some of the tweaking in from that site linked in the OP, I got my memory usage to shrink quite a bit.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/9351/memusagetl4.jpg

nekrosoft13
04-29-08, 11:03 AM
why did you turn off aero?

jcrox
04-30-08, 07:22 AM
I didn't turn off aero, i just never turned it on.

nekrosoft13
04-30-08, 07:30 AM
weird, Aero turns on automatically when supported card+driver is installed

Q
04-30-08, 08:05 AM
Huh! Interesting. Why?

Server 08 has everything but the bare essentials turned off for security reasons. Performance reasons as well, but that's a secondary reason. Comparing a fresh install of Vista SP1 and Server 08 (which are the same kernel), Server 08 is significantly more responsive and has a smaller memory footprint.

Ninjaman09
04-30-08, 08:33 AM
weird, Aero turns on automatically when supported card+driver is installed
Doesn't on mine. :confused:

What tweaks did you use to get the memory usage so low jcrox? I actually like a lot of the built-in features so I dunno if I'd disable them. My system typically eats up over 1GB of RAM idling.

einstein_314
04-30-08, 11:59 AM
Server 08 has everything but the bare essentials turned off for security reasons. Performance reasons as well, but that's a secondary reason. Comparing a fresh install of Vista SP1 and Server 08 (which are the same kernel), Server 08 is significantly more responsive and has a smaller memory footprint.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the purpose of superfetch to cache frequently used programs so that when you run them, they start super fast? On a server this wouldn't do anything because you don't run programs on a server frequently, you start it up and it sits there for months on end untouched. I don't think it would benefit the people connected to the server either since they are mostly interfacing with programs that are already running on the server. It doesn't have to keep starting them up over and over.

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know a lot about servers.

Doesn't on mine.

What tweaks did you use to get the memory usage so low jcrox? I actually like a lot of the built-in features so I dunno if I'd disable them. My system typically eats up over 1GB of RAM idling.

I don't think it's anything to worry about. Mine doesn't either. On a fresh install I have to go into themes and pick the aero one.

nekrosoft13
04-30-08, 12:29 PM
I don't think it's anything to worry about. Mine doesn't either. On a fresh install I have to go into themes and pick the aero one.

on all the builds i did, right after fresh install with default driver sometimes doesn't work. but right after i install nvidia driver it starts automaticaly.