PDA

View Full Version : AMD 45nm CPUs will be Socket AM3 only

Pages : [1] 2

AthlonXP1800
04-28-08, 09:08 PM
AMD 45nm Phenom CPUs will use Socket AM3 design with 2 models codenamed DENEB and PULSE will start to ship out around November 2008.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hkepc.com%2F%3Fid%3D1 081%26fs%3Dc1h&langpair=zh%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

AM2 owners are being ****ed twice right after AMD killed Socket 939 with DDR1 last year and now they going to kill off AM2 with DDR2 later this year.

Look like AMD are move aggressively to DDR3 to catch up with Nehalem.

Guess maybe I will put off Q9450 off the upgrade list due to shortage and wait until end of year for Bloomfield and DDR3.

CaptNKILL
04-28-08, 09:20 PM
I hope this gives them a huge performance boost that wins them back the crown because they are going to annoy a lot of customers by dropping yet another platform...

Zapablast05
04-28-08, 09:31 PM
I hope this gives them a huge performance boost that wins them back the crown because they are going to annoy a lot of customers by dropping yet another platform...

I'm already getting pissed and I'm a former AMD user. Intel will drop the 775 socket sooner or later anyhow. If this AM3 thing works way better than current Intel products, then I'm welcoming them back with open arms.

jcrox
04-28-08, 09:33 PM
That's a really dumb move... one of the pluses for the enterprise sector choosing AMD was they weren't going to have to buy new motherboards and memory... so much for that.

Zapablast05
04-28-08, 09:48 PM
That's a really dumb move... one of the pluses for the enterprise sector choosing AMD was they weren't going to have to buy new motherboards and memory... so much for that.

If you put it this way, it's good for memory/motherboard manufacturers and the economy.

Tygerwoody
04-28-08, 09:53 PM
YIPPY! The AMD Fangirls get to change sockets yet again! Great move AMD! You know I'm always on your side with your brilliant moves!

CaptNKILL
04-28-08, 10:39 PM
YIPPY! The AMD Fangirls get to change sockets yet again! Great move AMD! You know I'm always on your side with your brilliant moves!
:POKE:

:lol:

methimpikehoses
04-28-08, 10:53 PM

+1

AMD is run by retards apparently.

nekrosoft13
04-28-08, 10:54 PM
wow, another dumb move from amd

methimpikehoses
04-28-08, 11:06 PM
How could they not learn from 939 -> AM2?

It boggles teh mind.

K007
04-29-08, 03:59 AM
This is like the 939 all over again...

Are they trying to lose customers? If not i hope the change warrants for a huge performance boost.

Tygerwoody
04-29-08, 05:26 AM
+1

AMD is run by retards apparently.
Don't say that. AMD is run by brilliant individuals. You might not know this yet, but all the moves AMD make are due to them being INNOVATIVE!!!!! Seriously, Intel is using FSB still. What lo5ers!!!! I mean.... Intel is a few light years ahead of AMD in terms of speed, reliability, and EVERYTHING under the sun, but they aren't INNOVATIVE like AMD!!!! Duh!!! AMD is the best! My brain is the size of a peanut! Triple Core!! Hypertransport!!! Incompetence!!!!! Job Layoffs!!! God I love you AMD!!!!!!

Tygerwoody
04-29-08, 05:29 AM
This is like the 939 all over again...

Are they trying to lose customers? If not i hope the change warrants for a huge performance boost.
Intel has been using the same socket for how many years now? Sockets don't matter for performance as much as we once thought. If you think about where intel started with the 775 and ended(and still going), its quite amazing. Meanwhile, incompetent AMD is changing sockets like they are going out of style.

/waiting for a mindless reply from the AMD fan brigade that always tries to "prove me wrong". It never works, but it always gives me something good to laugh at. :D

Toss3
04-29-08, 05:49 AM
Don't say that. AMD is run by brilliant individuals. You might not know this yet, but all the moves AMD make are due to them being INNOVATIVE!!!!! Seriously, Intel is using FSB still. What lo5ers!!!! I mean.... Intel is a few light years ahead of AMD in terms of speed, reliability, and EVERYTHING under the sun, but they aren't INNOVATIVE like AMD!!!! Duh!!! AMD is the best! My brain is the size of a peanut! Triple Core!! Hypertransport!!! Incompetence!!!!! Job Layoffs!!! God I love you AMD!!!!!!
This actually made me LOL.. :D

939 939 939 939 939 939 939 939 939 939 939 939 939 939

jcrox
04-29-08, 07:23 AM
My brain is the size of a peanut!

We know

Dazz
04-29-08, 01:33 PM
AM3 has been confirmed that it is backward compatible, in that AM3 processors can work in AM2/2+ boards BUT AM2 processors are not compatible with AM3 motherboards due to no support for DDR3 in their intergrated memory controller.

K007
04-30-08, 04:10 AM
What do you mean by that? s939 was great. We started with a lower single core(Winnie or Venice) that at the time was much better than Intel is over AMD now, and upgraded to double that and more with the dual cores when they were 1/4 the original release price.

As far as gaming goes, with a good GPU the s939's are still doing very well as they are 95%+ identical to the AM2's which is still AMD's only comparable dual core to Intel.

AM2 is the socket that screwed people...it added DDR2 and a few hundred useless MHz. The only upgrade AM2 has is another AM2 of which they had no more(OK, they added 400MHz more later on). I don't count the AM2+ CPU's because you don't get the full functionality of them using the older AM2 mobo...s939 had no such missing features for its upgrade.

My s939 has been enough to game at 1280x1024(my monitors useful res anyway) to convince me not to buy anything new until perhaps either companies new socket. With the exception of Crysis, everything has played very well...and that was only a few fps under the others using a similar GPU.

...wth?

LovingSticky
04-30-08, 06:15 AM
AMD 45nm Phenom CPUs will use Socket AM3 design with 2 models codenamed DENEB and PULSE will start to ship out around November 2008.

They do not say these CPUs will not work at all in AM2+ sockets. In fact, they probably will. So there *is* an upgrade path...

EciDemon
04-30-08, 06:16 AM
My last puter was 939 based and I was happy with it, but I was a bit annoyed with the socet change up to am2 as faster 939 dual cores dissapeard when I wanted one.

But then again, if they were more available at that time, id prolly not have the puter in sig now.
I had probaly ended up spending more money on the old rig then it would be worth

Tygerwoody
04-30-08, 08:06 AM
I love AMD. AMD never makes bad choices. AM2 was the best release in cpu history.

AthlonXP1800
04-30-08, 10:49 AM
They do not say these CPUs will not work at all in AM2+ sockets. In fact, they probably will. So there *is* an upgrade path...

Well if you already owned a AM2+ CPU then you purchase a AM3 motherboard and you will find out that AM2+ CPU will not work on AM3 motherboard so you screwed!

According to confirmations from AMD, Socket AM2+ will have a compatibility path with Socket AM3, AM3 processors will work in AM2+ motherboards; however, AM2+ processors will not be compatible with AM3 motherboards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2+

CaptNKILL
04-30-08, 12:20 PM
I love AMD. AMD never makes bad choices. AM2 was the best release in cpu history.
:bleh:

Dazz
04-30-08, 01:50 PM
Well if you already owned a AM2+ CPU then you purchase a AM3 motherboard and you will find out that AM2+ CPU will not work on AM3 motherboard so you screwed!

According to confirmations from AMD, Socket AM2+ will have a compatibility path with Socket AM3, AM3 processors will work in AM2+ motherboards; however, AM2+ processors will not be compatible with AM3 motherboards.

I don't see your point at all, People are more likley get a new CPU over a new board and DDR3 memory. It's easier to change a processor then the board for the novis. So you can get a new CPU NOW, then upgrade your memory and board down the line so there is still an upgrade path, so you can get part of the speed increase over your old processor before getting the full increase later when you change the board and memory. Intels is worse as they have been using the same socket but will need a new board revision or chipset to use new processors. So you will have to replace the board and memory now and get a minor increase in speed then later buy a CPU to get full advantage.

This goes on from the 865/845 (975X needed board redesign)and the nforce 680/650. With regards to the nForce incompatibility I blame Intel rather then nVidia for the simple reason they did not tell nVidia or provide new samples of the new processor intill AFTER the release as such was incompatible with their boards. If I was Jen-Hsun I would sue Intel as it’s against their contract which THEY pay Intel. nVidia bought a licence from Intel and they never honoured it, Intel are to supply samples of new processors long before they come out to ensure compatibility as part of the contract/ licence agreement. Neither wonder why nVidia are so pissed off at Intel and are willing to raise their conserns publicly. What i find funny for someone that goes by the name of AthlonXP to slag AMD off at every opportunity you get even if you don’t have the full information. So Intels compatibility track record is as bad as AMD's not better.

Viral
05-01-08, 06:55 AM

AMD didn't include a DDR-3 memory controller in their CPU's designed before DDR-3 was released! OMG AMD HATE THEIR CONSUMERS!

Medion
06-12-08, 01:06 AM
On one hand, I was pissed when AMD dumped S939 for AM2 almost immediately after I bought a S939 CPU and mobo, under the pretense that it was "necessary" for their next cpu line. Of course, when the next cpu line came out, they went to another socket, AM2+, anyway.

Still, I try not to worry much about it, since everytime I've ever purchased a new CPU, I got a new mobo with it. But I have to admit, when it came down to Core2 vs. Phenom, this little fiasco weighed in my mind a bit before deciding. Anyway, sorry for the necro post, but this thread caught my attention.