PDA

View Full Version : Why Certain Games

Mr Bigman
04-29-08, 01:06 PM
Why are their certain games that keep a store open for sales past hours of operation?

Why do some games get their own hour on tv or special treatment?

Their many games out their that are good, but their is always that one title that gets more treatment than others and im talking about GTA4.

This shows, its a console world cuz this happen with Halo3 also.

When a good title like Bioshock comes out, the stores don't stay open all night to sell it like some other title i mentioned.

Is their certain treatments games get over others?

Yaboze
04-29-08, 01:23 PM
I think the company that owns EB/Gamestop decides that the game will be a huge seller based on preorders, hype, word on the street, so they decide to have a midnight presale. It's all about sales and GTA IV is expected to break records.

GTA IV is the first title of the controversial series to hit the new consoles which is another big draw.

Bioshock reviewed well, but didn't achieve the sales of Halo 3, nor will it reach GTA IV.

JigenD
04-29-08, 01:24 PM
Why are their certain games that keep a store open for sales past hours of operation?

Why do some games get their own hour on tv or special treatment?

Their many games out their that are good, but their is always that one title that gets more treatment than others and im talking about GTA4.

This shows, its a console world cuz this happen with Halo3 also.

When a good title like Bioshock comes out, the stores don't stay open all night to sell it like some other title i mentioned.

Is their certain treatments games get over others?

Two things, mostly money and secondly how fanatical the fans are. Companies know how much money a game is supposed to make, money is spent and advertising and such, and even to keep stores open at midnight.

At least be glad GTA4 is a great game, as was Bioshock. Thankfully there is still a 'hardcore' influence in these sort of things. A casual game will never bring out the fanatics, and that's a small blessing for gaming I suppose.

|MaguS|
04-29-08, 01:27 PM
Sales... thats the only reason. Games like Halo and GTA sell far more copies then Bioshock could ever hope to. They are system movers while games like Bioshock are system bullet points.

JigenD
04-29-08, 01:28 PM
Sales... thats the only reason. Games like Halo and GTA sell far more copies then Bioshock could ever hope to. They are system movers while games like Bioshock are system bullet points.

No, it's also the fanbase, some Wii games bring out tons of money, but you'll never see a midnight opening for Wii Fit.

|MaguS|
04-29-08, 01:41 PM
No, it's also the fanbase, some Wii games bring out tons of money, but you'll never see a midnight opening for Wii Fit.
Actually Wii games don't sell that well. Wii Fit probably has a bad profit margin like most hardware 9it's not really an accessory). I don't think any Wii title has sold over 2 million in the US.

Japan you will see lines for Wii and DS titles but over there they do sell far better then here.

NaitoSan
04-29-08, 02:05 PM
Halo 3 and GTA IV are sequels and previous games were mega sellers so it's no brainer. They want to put multi-million dollars into advertisements and whatnot to ensure it sells more or top their previous records. Bioshock isn't a sequel so, it's a new franchise. Since Bioshock did rather well, maybe they'll do the same for Bioshock 2.

Mr Bigman
04-29-08, 02:53 PM
So GTA4 and Halo are Gamestops bread and butter right now?

It seems people are so drawn to something like GTA for what reason would it make millions so fast?

People have a fetish for certain media as others have no interest at all for what others love.

BestBuy is the samw way, they will have their doors open for a game launch but not for a LCD TV or that nice highend fridgerator.

NaitoSan
04-29-08, 03:06 PM
If you think you're larger than life then why are you questioning things everyday? :p

People don't buy LCD TV or high end refrigerator as often as people buy games. They're $50-60 per copy while LCD TV and high end refrigerator may are 10x times more or higher. People probably stay with same refrigerator for their entire lifetime. Unless it breaks or they want to upgrade to bigger one, so they can have more rotten foods there.

Game industry is big, as big as movie industry... maybe bigger. I don't keep track on how much each make but I do know they're making billions per year.

npras42
04-29-08, 04:32 PM
These stores rely on games like Halo 3 and GTAIV for a massive chunk of their profits so it is in their interest to fuel hype and make it into a massive event. There's also a huge demand so why not?

Its exactly the same as console launches. If consoles don't sell then nobody is gonna come back to buy the games for those consoles. So they need to hype them up and make it the 'unmissable event'.

Mr Bigman
04-29-08, 07:09 PM
From watching G4, it seems that Gamestop is reaking most of the benefits of this tilte.

Good old Gamestop, the worst place to buy games.

It seems the these game publishers work with gamestop to get their title out for sales.

And I thought it was Rockstar who done this game but its Take 2 interactive in the title dev.

npras42
04-30-08, 03:22 AM
From watching G4, it seems that Gamestop is reaking most of the benefits of this tilte.

Good old Gamestop, the worst place to buy games.

It seems the these game publishers work with gamestop to get their title out for sales.

And I thought it was Rockstar who done this game but its Take 2 interactive in the title dev.

Rockstar North Develop and Take 2 Publish.