PDA

View Full Version : Piracy forces Crytek to go multi-platform

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

evox
04-29-08, 04:11 PM
Speaking to PC Play Magazine, Crytek president Cevat Yerli has revealed that piracy of PC games is such a massive problem that it has forced the Crysis developer to move to multi-format releases.

"We are suffering currently from the huge piracy that is encompassing Crysis," said Yerli. "We seem to lead the charts in piracy by a large margin, a chart leading that is not desirable. I believe that's the core problem of PC Gaming, piracy. To the degree PC gamers that pirate games inherently destroy the platform."

Yerli continued: "Similar games on consoles sell factors of 4-5 more. It was a big lesson for us and I believe we won't have PC exclusives as we did with Crysis in future. We are going to support PC, but not exclusive anymore."

http://www.videogamer.com/news/29-04-2008-8158.html

****ing pirates. :thumbdwn:

LORD-eX-Bu
04-29-08, 04:14 PM
w00 hoo!! PS3 Crysis, maybe the sequel won't be as disappointing :lol:

Elvin Presler
04-29-08, 04:17 PM
I am SO SICK of hearing this sorry B*** S*** excuse.

I don't suppose it could possibly be that Crysis only runs well on rigs that like 27 people in the world currently own...no it can't be people waiting until they own a PC that will run it enjoyably before forking over $50 for nothing, or some ridiculously high sales estimate that they failed to reach...no, it must be PIRACY!

(lee)

LycosV
04-29-08, 04:19 PM
It has nothing to do with piracy, it has everything to do with this line:
Similar games on consoles sell factors of 4-5 more.

Console games sell better, end of story.

Elvin Presler
04-29-08, 04:26 PM

Because people are SICK of anti-piracy in PC games. I all but stopped buying them myself because of the last 10 or so I bought, about 7 WILL NOT run at all due to Starfarce or Securom blacklists or whatever...unless, of course, I go to a pirate site and get a friggin crack to fix the publisher/developer's own sabotage. ARGH!

mojoman0
04-29-08, 04:27 PM
Holy crap that sucks but completely predictable. And yes it has everything to do with piracy. The statement "Similar games on consoles sell factors of 4-5 more" is because they are extremely harder to pirate. This blows for crysis sequels. They might miss the boat on real world graphics for the third installment.

Noriega
04-29-08, 04:28 PM
F**K I bought Crysis cause I like that they are doing games exclusively on PC. Crysis sold more than 1 mln in 2 months! This is BS! They were talking about making console games about 6 months ago this is just BS! they have plans in the past to make console games but why he must talk this sh*T?

Crysis is selling better than FC so WTF?

3DBrad
04-29-08, 04:28 PM
I have to fix an executable for Crysis sometimes, as well as Medal of Honor, and a few other games. Also, King Kong: Gamer's Edition, each time I reinstall it, I have to email Starforce and wait about 2-3 days to get a new key to install, if t hey will give me another one. :thumbdwn:

Like this is the email I usually get from them when I install it (I removed the guys name and my old serial number, just in case)
Solution:

Hi there,

We are pleased to be able to offer you a new key at this time with our sincere apologies for any problems you encountered. These keys are limited to customers that have purchased the game so keep this information confidential.

Your NEW key is: ________________________

Please let us know if there is anything else that we can assist you with.

Regards,

<the guy's name here>

Lead Technical Associate - Digital Distribution

IGN Entertainment, Inc.

http://corp.ign.com

BronzeGod
04-29-08, 04:33 PM
I have to fix an executable for Crysis sometimes, as well as Medal of Honor, and a few other games. Also, King Kong: Gamer's Edition, each time I reinstall it, I have to email Starforce and wait about 2-3 days to get a new key to install, if t hey will give me another one. :thumbdwn:

Like this is the email I usually get from them when I install it (I removed the guys name and my old serial number, just in case)

I'm gonna kick ur patoey man! :captnkill:

Revs
04-29-08, 04:34 PM
It has nothing to do with piracy, it has everything to do with this line: Similar games on consoles sell factors of 4-5 more.

+1

Noriega
04-29-08, 04:41 PM
What games? Halo and CoD4 cause they very popular and they are old series. New great games like BS 1,7mln sold on X0 and ME 1,7 mln sold on X0. Good selling FPS? MoH, Jericho, Call of Juare sold each about 0,2 mln on X0 so WTF he is talking about that games like Crysis are selling well on consoles? Games like UBER HYPED Halo and GTA IV or AC sell yeah thats true but FPS not. Orange Box was selling better on PC. For example EA was writing after 2 months from release that Crysis is Platinum ( game that is platinum must sold 1 mln copies).

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn215/SoYdontu/BondageWTF.gif

Dreamingawake
04-29-08, 04:44 PM
haha makes me laugh. i say GOOD. i'm glad they'll be supporting multi-platform.

teach all those pirates.

Poor Crytek, they don't deserve that but it's really no surprise is it ?

Maybe the consoles will be around longer than we think..

Mr_LoL
04-29-08, 05:01 PM
Does anyone have a chart or a link for how well the pc version of games sell compared to their console adversaries?

Noriega
04-29-08, 05:03 PM
Does anyone have a chart or a link for how well the pc version of games sell compared to their console adversaries?

No one have data how good PC games are selling ony FORECASTS. But EA say that Crysis is platinum so it solnd more than 1 mln and it was a few months ago.

AngelGraves13
04-29-08, 05:05 PM
I would have bought it...if it came out on Steam. Since it didn't...I didn't buy it. Oh well...maybe EA & CryTek will want my money one day.

ClosetFanBoy
04-29-08, 05:11 PM
"To the degree PC gamers that pirate games inherently destroy the platform."

ACK! Shocking! :rolleyes:

Well hey, at least some dev's are trying to do something about it even if the solution (starforce etc) sucks. But yea, lets put the blame on the dev's and not the 8 million downloaded copies. 8 million wonderful excuses. ;)

This is no surprise. Nor will the number of people that will cry about this be surprising. I've said before these dev's keep an eye on the piracy charts, period. And when the number of pirated downloads out does sales, well that sucks. Hell, it's annoying for me to even look at. Yet fools bring in their charts and excuses as to why it doesnt hurt, blah blah blah. Well now you got ol' Yerli to disagree with you.

In a parallel world the cries would be the same. It doesnt take rocket science to see that piracy is a pain in the ass. I have no clue as to why that is soooo hard to figure out.

The industry needs to cowboy up and find a solution, even if they have to take a gestapo approach.

I kinda like the MS approach with the 360, get caught, goodbye XBL. Personally I think they should just brick the box. :D But yea, they should get ISP's involved, get caught, lose your ISP. :)

Oh yea, and kudos to evox for posting yet another controversial thread to spark my interest! :thumbsup:

jcrox
04-29-08, 05:15 PM
Piracy is obviously a problem but I think Crytek is going to find that 1st person shooters don't sell anywhere near 4 to 5 times as many units on consoles as they do on PC and the few FPS titles that do sell have a really good story line as well as good game play and on-line play. Castrate Crysis' graphics to be playable on a console and IMO, you have a less than average game which isn't going to sell anymore on consoles than what it has sold on the PC. I mean really, once you get into the mountain.... the rest of the game pretty much sucks.

The top 10 selling games of 2007:

1. Halo 3 - 4.82 million
2. Wii Play w/remote - 4.12 million
3. CoD 4 - 3.04 million
4. Guitar Hero III - 2.72 million
5. Super Mario Galaxy - 2.52 million
6. Pokemon Diamond - 2.48 million
7. Madden NFL 08 - 1.90 million
8. Guitar Hero 2 - 1.89 million
9. Assassin's Creed - 1.87 million
10. Mario Party - 1.82 million

Looking at that list, over 1 million units sold as of February (3 months of sales) seems pretty good for a game that runs like **** for 98% of PC owners.

evox
04-29-08, 05:17 PM
Oh yea, and kudos to evox for posting yet another controversial thread to spark my interest! :thumbsup:

Hey, that's why I'm here. :D

ClosetFanBoy
04-29-08, 05:18 PM
Add in all the pirated copies and they would truly be happy campers. :D

six_storm
04-29-08, 05:34 PM
Basically what they meant to say was: "Only 20% of PC gamers can afford a machine that runs Crysis, therefore we are going to the consoles to make up for sales." Sounds about right to me.

OldOfEvil
04-29-08, 05:44 PM
Piracy is just as rampant on the consoles as it is for the PC IMO.

AngelGraves13
04-29-08, 06:00 PM
Piracy is just as rampant on the consoles as it is for the PC IMO.

Maybe, but less people are willing to do it on consoles because they just don't know how.

Noriega
04-29-08, 06:10 PM
Going console is no fu** problem resolve it is just runing from the problem.

Ayepecks
04-29-08, 06:53 PM
As long as they still release them for PC still I don't mind. I've got a 360, but I still prefer FPS games on my PC.

agentkay
04-29-08, 07:55 PM
Maybe they should talk some sense into EA and include a proper online activation system next time? Releasing a game like Crysis with only lame ass Securom was just asking for a high pirate count.