PDA

View Full Version : The irony: Microsoft will make Sony a lot of money with the next generation. . .

3DBrad
04-29-08, 05:24 PM
Since Blu-ray won the format war, imagine how Microsoft is going to feel, writing big checks to Sony for Blu-Ray drives.

I'd just like to say, I lol'd.

:afro:

ClosetFanBoy
04-29-08, 05:32 PM
It is kinda funny. I do feel sorry for the people who loved HD DVD. My buddy bought one for his 360. Great quality. He was bummed tho.

Personally I cant wait for BR to come to the 360. Ironically, that may actually prevent me from picking up a PS3... :(

S.I.N
04-29-08, 05:34 PM
:o This thread is about 5 years early and by then prices will most likely be a non-factor or equivalent to DVD. Hell it might even be the standard in new PC's by then. Also you know Sony helped create DVD right?

|MaguS|
04-29-08, 05:35 PM
So MS is actually going to make a drive? Last I read they were refusing to make one and are pushing their downloadable movies on XBLive.

S.I.N
04-29-08, 05:40 PM
He says "next generation" so I think he meant the one after this one which is stupid.

|MaguS|
04-29-08, 05:43 PM
Well Sony is saying that the next systems might be DLC only with titles... Im sure Gamestop wont like that...

3DBrad
04-29-08, 06:54 PM
5 years?

I'd say more like 3-ish or less.

ClosetFanBoy
04-29-08, 08:36 PM
If they can ripoff the Wiimote, why not go BR? I would be surprised if they waited next gen. And if they do, I'll be getting a PS3. :D

I will say this, whether they go BR now or next gen, if they flatout boot kick the 360 to the curb like the original Xbox, I will never buy a console from them again! :rw:

Lyme
04-29-08, 08:44 PM
Since Blu-ray won the format war, imagine how Microsoft is going to feel, writing big checks to Sony for Blu-Ray drives.

Isn't going to happen. Quite a bit of tech that goes into the Blu-Ray software is intellectual property of Microsoft.

Ruined
05-01-08, 01:09 AM

Why exactly would Microsoft put a Blu-ray drive in their next XBOX that comes out in 2012 when flash memory has already hit 128GB and when they are trying to move everyone to downloads? It would be counter productive to their "master plan" :). I see more likely a download-only box with "physical media" being limited to code-cards or SDHC flash cards.

Besides, big fat checks are being written to Microsoft with their VC-1 codec a mandatory video codec in every single Blu-ray player, and used by the biggest movie studio as well. Plus even when VC-1 is not used, yes even when AVC/MPEG2 or used, MS often gets money for other video related technologies such as Microsoft's advanced dithering algorithm the more prestigious authoring houses use to downconvert masters to 8bit prior to encoding (that is, instead of simply rounding, which is what causes the majority of banding artifacts in HD releases).

3DBrad
05-01-08, 01:28 AM
Download-only means me no buy. :p

Ruined
05-01-08, 01:40 AM
Download-only means me no buy. :p

If its not download only, flash memory will make more sense than Blu-ray by that point in time. Can't be pirated as easily and again supporting Blu-ray for HD movies works against their HD download master plan. And, it won't be attractive for movies by then because Blu-ray players will be $99 in Walmart by then, just like DVD playback doesn't do **** for consoles now (see Wii sales).