PDA

View Full Version : SATA Harddrives

seeker
04-29-08, 06:25 PM
I've noticed that many ads for SATA harddrives do not specify whether they are SATA I or SATA II, and some do not even state the transfer rates so that it might be understood. Are ALL new SATA harddrives SATA II now?

npras42
04-29-08, 06:28 PM
I don't know but what ads? You can certainly still buy SATA I drives so they must still be making them but I think all new models are SATA II.

grey_1
04-29-08, 06:30 PM
I'm probably wrong, but aren't all SATA 3g drives II?

seeker
04-29-08, 06:48 PM
I don't know but what ads? You can certainly still buy SATA I drives so they must still be making them but I think all new models are SATA II.

The primary place I had been looking was Ebay. I may have just been looking in the wrong place, because each ad is composed quite differently.

Does it really make a difference whether a drive is SATA I or SATA II in term of performance? I recall reading threads that said it didn't. The reason that I'm asking is because a new MB that I have on order is SATA II, and it has a couple more SATA slots than the MB that I'm using, and it doesn't make any sense to buy older technology...if there is any improvement.

npras42
04-29-08, 07:15 PM
It doesn't really make much of a difference unless you are looking at the latest and greatest drives which are making use of the SATA II bandwidth.

I think it is probably a better idea to pick a hard drive and then look for it on ebay or wherever you want to go to buy one. What are you looking to spend and what size are you looking for? Everyone has their own favourite brands and disliked brands but most people would generally agree to stay away from the slightly older models of Maxtor drives. Generally, I like Western Digital and Seagate though the recent Seagates aren't as good performers.

seeker
04-29-08, 07:24 PM
It doesn't really make much of a difference unless you are looking at the latest and greatest drives which are making use of the SATA II bandwidth.

I'm not certain that I understand...are you saying that some harddrives that are SATA II are not making use of the SATA II bandwidth?

I think it is probably a better idea to pick a hard drive and then look for it on ebay or wherever you want to go to buy one. What are you looking to spend and what size are you looking for? Everyone has their own favourite brands and disliked brands but most people would generally agree to stay away from the slightly older models of Maxtor drives. Generally, I like Western Digital and Seagate though the recent Seagates aren't as good performers.
I think that you are correct that I must decide on a harddrive before Ebaying. However, we would differ on brand preferences. I have never had any luck with WDC drives. I won't brag on Maxtor, but I have had the best luck with them. I have never owned a Seagate, but most of what I had heard is good, and they have the longest warranty, so that is what I shall try next. I'm thinking of a couple of 500GB drives, but not sure exactly what model, because I do recall reading some complaints about one of them...I think due to noise.

Bearclaw
04-29-08, 07:29 PM
I'm probably wrong, but aren't all SATA 3g drives II?
Yes, they are.

npras42
04-29-08, 07:32 PM
I'm not certain that I understand...are you saying that some harddrives that are SATA II are not making use of the SATA II bandwidth?

Yes that is exactly what I am saying. MOST hard drives do not make use of SATA II's extra bandwidth though there are some newer ones such as the Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB or 1TB and the WD Velociraptors 300GB that do. However, there are other benefits to SATA II other than bandwidth I think such as Native Command Queuing (NCQ) and the ability to hot-swap the drives.

I think that you are correct that I must decide on a harddrive before Ebaying. However, we would differ on brand preferences. I have never had any luck with WDC drives. I won't brag on Maxtor, but I have had the best luck with them. I have never owned a Seagate, but most of what I had heard is good, and they have the longest warranty, so that is what I shall try next. I'm thinking of a couple of 500GB drives, but not sure exactly what model, because I do recall reading some complaints about one of them...I think due to noise.

I'll let someone else recommend something as I don't really know/recall any of the good 500GB drives. You could always look on review sites such as Anandtech.

seeker
04-29-08, 11:36 PM
npras42,

I'll let someone else recommend something as I don't really know/recall any of the good 500GB drives. You could always look on review sites such as Anandtech

Hopefully, someone else will comment on this, because I would rather hear someone's opinion first hand. Especially someone that is a user, rather than a sales promoter.

Buckeye
04-30-08, 12:36 AM
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. MOST hard drives do not make use of SATA II's extra bandwidth though there are some newer ones such as the Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB or 1TB and the WD Velociraptors 300GB that do. However, there are other benefits to SATA II other than bandwidth I think such as Native Command Queuing (NCQ) and the ability to hot-swap the drives.

I'll let someone else recommend something as I don't really know/recall any of the good 500GB drives. You could always look on review sites such as Anandtech.

:thumbsup:

Take a look at these stats

WD6400AAKS
Access Time: 12.8ms
Rotational Latency: 4.2ms
Seek Time: 8.6ms

Raptor 150gb
Access Time: 7.7ms
Rotational Latency: 3ms
Seek Time: 4.6ms

Those are the most important stats, and IOPS (I/O Operations Per Second). Burst speed also if you are into that :)

If you want pure speed pick 2 Raptors and put them in Raid 0, still a SATA interface and not maxing out the bandwidth.

If you want to punch pure MB/s then add more HDD's in Raid 0 and get a Raid card, still SATA Interfaces for the HDD's.

At some point you will max out the Software Raid on motherboards, or FakeRaid. If still not enough then you need to go to a Raid card. All these still use SATA interface's for the HDD.

In the end you see little or no differance between SATA I or II in a single drive setup. That is not the limiting factor. Unless you install a older drive. Newer drives have bigger cache, better desgins etc., etc.

seeker
04-30-08, 12:46 AM
Those stats are certainly interesting, but I have a tendency to be a bit skeptical...because of my previous experience with both WDC and Maxtor. When checking harddrives with programs such as Harddrive Tach, et. al. the seek times were nowhere near what was advertised.

I agree that the buffer size is important, because I could see a noticeable difference in performance of the one with the larger size, but then that drive is a Maxtor 133MBs on PATA, yet it is faster than the SATA I drives that I have.

Buckeye
04-30-08, 12:50 AM
Well not sure what to tell you besides what I have posted.

Your best bet would be to look over here, or ask there. There are many smart people there and thats where I get most of my info from.

Good Luck

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62