PDA

View Full Version : Booting problem

PlayerZen14
04-30-08, 04:52 AM
You may remember quite a few months back, I built a computer for a friend of mine. He called me just now to tell me that his computer won't boot :( . He said it would turn on for about a second, and then turn off again. This step repeated over and over so its like on,off,on,off. And it never booted.

he's replugged the ram, tried connecting his SATA components to different SATA slots, reconnecting motherboard power, cpu power, reconnecting every component. The only thing he HASNT done so far is to reconnect the cpu, which he is currently doing (i think).

if the culprit isnt even the cpu, what is it? bad psu, bad motherboard?

btw he's had this computer for about 3 months. the specs are here:

asus p5kr p35 motherboard
q6600 @ stock w/ arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
HIS 3870X2 @stock
2x2gb A-data ddr2 800 ram
FSP Epsilon 700w psu
LG 20x dvd drive
seagate 7200.10 250gb hdd

thanks for your help.

hokeyplyr48
04-30-08, 05:04 AM
sounds like a heat problem or psu problem.
try swapping out the cpu to see

Revs
04-30-08, 05:04 AM
Has he done a BIOS reset?

PlayerZen14
04-30-08, 05:45 AM
Has he done a BIOS reset?

you mean removing the jumper from the pins next to the CMOS battery? because he told me there was no jumper covering the pins.

looks like ill have to pop over to his house tomorrow and see what i can do :(

EciDemon
04-30-08, 06:25 AM
The jumper should be clear (off) during normal use, you connect it to clear cmos, and puter should be off at all times during this.

If you cant terminate the bios with the jumper, remove the batterie for a few minutes.

However it might be something else.

When I first put together my system (also p35 based but from msi) the puter would turn on, then off and then on again and from here it starts as normal. It really freaked me out when it would turn off just like that the first time i booted up.

Puter will do this everytime i dissconnect the power or turn of the main psu switch.
The behaviour is normal according to MSIs faq on the board. It's the stage where the mobo detects and applies cpu speed with the fsb and such. so it will also happen if I change the fsb speed. But only once, untill next i change fsb/multi or cut the main power.

So to me it sounds like the puter is stuck in that stage. Is the puter overclocked ?
By reseting bios you would rule out that at least.

CaptNKILL
04-30-08, 07:38 AM
The jumper should be clear (off) during normal use, you connect it to clear cmos, and puter should be off at all times during this.

If you cant terminate the bios with the jumper, remove the batterie for a few minutes.

When I first put together my system (also p35 based but from msi) the puter would turn on, then off and then on again and from here it starts as normal. It really freaked me out when it would turn off just like that the first time i booted up.

Puter will do this everytime i dissconnect the power or turn of the main psu switch.
The behaviour is normal according to MSIs faq on the board. It's the stage where the mobo detects and applies cpu speed with the fsb and such. so it will also happen if I change the fsb speed. But only once, untill next i change fsb/multi or cut the main power.

So to me it sounds like the puter is stuck in that stage. Is the puter overclocked ?
Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me.

My Gigabyte P35 board does the same thing. It gets pretty screwy when overclocking, especially when I used some picky OCZ memory and tried adjusting voltages. It took me 15 minutes to get my PC to boot again after messing with settings once. I cleared the cmos several times, removed the battery several times, had the pc unplugged for several minutes... it was pretty damn scary.

It seems like these boards are pretty hard to break but can get fussy rather easily.

Try unplugging the PC and setting the clear cmos jumper for a few minutes. If that doesn't work, unplug it and remove the battery. Try doing this a few dozen times. :p

PlayerZen14
04-30-08, 07:46 AM

your experience sounds very similar to my friend's, except his is constantly going on and off. He let this procedure carry on for half a minute, and still it did not boot. and no, my friend did not overclock his computer, except for this time when he overclocked his 3870x2 using ATI overdrive. He only overclocked the gpu core by about 50mhz and the memory by 100-200 mhz, and he only kept that overclock for a couple days, so it shouldnt be the problem. I want to ask you something though.if the jumper isnt already on the motherboard, where is it?

thanks, i appreciate your help :o

CaptNKILL
04-30-08, 12:24 PM
your experience sounds very similar to my friend's, except his is constantly going on and off. He let this procedure carry on for half a minute, and still it did not boot. and no, my friend did not overclock his computer, except for this time when he overclocked his 3870x2 using ATI overdrive. He only overclocked the gpu core by about 50mhz and the memory by 100-200 mhz, and he only kept that overclock for a couple days, so it shouldnt be the problem. I want to ask you something though.if the jumper isnt already on the motherboard, where is it?

thanks, i appreciate your help :o
It seems like more manufacturers are not including the jumpers these days for a lot of hardware. I don't know why.

You should be able to reset it just by touching a screw driver to the "reset" pins for a few seconds (all the jumper does is connect them with metal). Check the manual for which pins these are. If there are only two pins, then its really easy. Just make sure the power cable is unplugged before resetting or it won't do anything.

PlayerZen14
05-02-08, 02:28 AM
turns out there was a jumper except my buddy didnt notice them :p . Successfully resetted the bios and now its running fine :D . thanks a lot for the help!

btw on a different note, his 3870x2 is only gettin about 15-20fps in crysis 1680 x 1050 HQ w/ no aa. he used to get about 25-30. it seems as though catalyst 8.4 has less optimized drivers for crysis than v8.3....:(

PlayerZen14
05-03-08, 08:09 AM
the crysis results in my previous post were made in v1.1. he updated crysis to v1.2.1 isnt much better. he's gettin 10-25 fps with 1680x1050 no aa and HQ. 25-40fps at 1680x1050 no aa and MQ.

this is really worrying! he used to get between 25-40fps at 1680x1050 HQ when we first built his rig.