PDA

View Full Version : PC shutting down

Pages : [1] 2

Isilia
04-30-08, 08:43 AM
Hello, my PC shuts down after about 2 minutes of gaming on Vista 32 bit, on Gentoo Linux 64 bit everything works fine.

Games I've tried on Vista: Tiberium Wars Kane's Wrath, Company Of Heroes and 3DBenchmark06
All of these shut down after about 2 minutes of gaming/testing, although I could finish the CoH tutorial without trouble. I've tried both the latest "normal" drivers and the forceware ones. If I stress test just the CPU, getting it up to 80 C, the PC doesn't shut down.

On Linux (with the latest nvidia drivers) I've tried Command and Conquer 3 (without anti aliasing) and World of Warcraft (max graphics for about 10 hours >.>) without any trouble whatsoever.

My PC's about a month old and has these specs:
XFX Nvidia 8800GTX 768MB RAM 60 C when idling, 70 C when playing WoW, don't know about Vista as I can't find thermal monitors anywhere.
Intel core 2 duo e6750 (2.66GHz) ~45 C when idle, 80 C when compiling/stress testing
2 GB Corsair DDR2 RAM
p5n32-e sli motherboard (680i nforce SLI chipset) which is always around 35 C

I've tried taking out one RAM module, the audio card (plug in card that came with the motherboard), CD drive and a few fans to see if it was a juice problem, but it didn't make any difference. I've also bought a few more fans for a better airflow, again it didn't make any difference.

I'm out of ideas, hopefully you can help.

Edit: The PSU is 520W

Revs
04-30-08, 09:07 AM
When you say 'shuts down', do you mean like you've pressed the power button or does it just go off?

If it's just shutting it's self down you may have a virus.

Isilia
04-30-08, 09:35 AM
As if you pull the power cord out, just shuts down. So yep, as if I've pressed the reset button.

nekrosoft13
04-30-08, 10:05 AM
thats a hardware problem, mostly related to power.

i saw two cases of this, one at my house with windows 2003 and once at friends house with xp.

in my case it was causing by WD hard drive for some reason draining to much power, on dual sata power cable before i had two maxtor 120gb plugged in, i replaced those two maxtors with one 500gb WD, only one sata power plug was used.
PC would shut down every time a lot of hdd activity would happen. keep in mind that before with 2 hard drives it was fine. called WD got a hdd replacement and its been fine since.

friends PC had same problem but was trigered by USB, everytime he had a lot of usb devices plugged in, or was transfering a lot of files from/to flash drive/hdd. PC would just shut down.

In his case, he replaced the board, and no more problems.

Isilia
04-30-08, 10:11 AM
Hmh, alright.. would you have have any idea on how I can find out what piece of hardware might be causing trouble, except for replacing all of them bit by bit.

Revs
04-30-08, 10:29 AM
Not really, but your CPU temp is way high at 80*C. The max on that CPU is 72*C. (http://processorfinder.intel.com/Details.aspx?sSpec=SLA9V) That may cause problems. What are you using to monitor your temps?

Isilia
04-30-08, 10:40 AM
PC PROBE II for Windows, and coretemps/sensors for Linux. I doubt it's my CPU as my system doesn't shut down when I'm just stressing the CPU.
Edit: I just checked and the temperatures in the BIOS are about 5 C higher for my CPU than they are on Windows or Linux when idle.

Revs
04-30-08, 10:49 AM
From my experience with PCProbe, it reads about 15*C too low on the CPU. With my CPU at 70*C with CoreTemp it was at 55*C with PCProbe. If this is the case with yours, your CPU could be getting up to 100*C with is the emergency shut-down temp.

Check your temps with CoreTemp or Everest ASAP before you do any damage!

nekrosoft13
04-30-08, 10:51 AM
try running orthos
http://www.overclock.net/downloads/138142-orthos.html

Isilia
04-30-08, 10:59 AM
Coretemp gave me 50 C while idling, and when I ran the stress test I hit cancel when the temperature was up at 95 C O.o

nekrosoft13
04-30-08, 11:02 AM
95c is bad, if you wouldn't hit cancel it would probably get a bit higher.

Where do you live? Hot humid climate? AC on? Is the heatsink on correctly? Is the fan spinning?

btw, highest temps i saw on my overclocked Q6600 at 3.4 ghz while running prime was 70c

Isilia
04-30-08, 11:05 AM
Holland, it's about 21 C inside, AC is on, fan is spinning at 2000 RPM (bit low?) and the heatsink was put on correctly last time I checked (yesterday) but I'll check again after I clicked submit reply ^^.

Revs
04-30-08, 11:07 AM
Even with a stock cooler, a hot room and poorly cooled case that temp is waaay high. Something is wrong somewhere.

nekrosoft13
04-30-08, 11:08 AM
stock intel heatshink? to much thermal paste could also cause problems, how much did you put?

Isilia
04-30-08, 11:53 AM
Stock intel heatsink, came with pre applied paste. I'm going to buy a better CPU cooler and some thermal paste I think.

Edit: I also checked the heatsink, took it out to check if the paste was put on correctly. After putting it back in I noticed that two of the pins connecting the heatsink to the motherboard aren't plugged in as deeply. I checked the motherboard's manual and the pictures there show the same situation but I still find it very suspicious.. Using moderate force on the pins didn't help either.

nekrosoft13
04-30-08, 12:27 PM
could you post a macro close-up picture?

Revs
04-30-08, 12:29 PM
Are you totally sure all four twist locks are turn to the lock position? Clockwise I think.

Isilia
04-30-08, 12:58 PM
They're all in lock position, and here are some photos.. they aren't shot from the best position but my camera decided to call it quits before I could make better ones. Imageshack resized them as well, so if you require 2048x1536 res photos, I'll try uploading them elsewhere.

http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010170uf3.jpg Pin in the middle of the screen and the one closest to the two fans are the ones that aren't in as deep.
http://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010175nm9.jpg One of the two pins that are inserted deeper, it's the one closest to the camera on the first photo.
http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010176qz3.jpg Closeup of the pin that was in the middle of the screen in the first photo.

Revs
04-30-08, 01:05 PM
Hmm. It's a strange one. It all looks fine, good case cooling too. See how you go with the new cooler.

Do your 2 cores show a similar temp?

Isilia
04-30-08, 01:09 PM
One degree Celcius difference at most. Perhaps the sensors are malfunctioning or there isn't enough thermal paste on the heatsink.

Edit: Any suggestions on thermal paste and/or better cooling? Air cooling is preferred.

Revs
04-30-08, 01:25 PM
If you're not OCing (are you?) then a stock Intel cooler should do the job. ArcticSilver5 is pretty much what most people use, it's good stuff.

A lack of paste would cause a problem like this but I would expect to see differing core temps.

If you want a different air cooler, I always liked the Noctua. It's not the very best or the cheapest but it's really nicely made and comes with one of the best fans on the market.

Isilia
04-30-08, 01:28 PM
I was planning on OCing, but I have not yet attempted doing so. I'll buy some thermal paste and a better cooler (for future OCing and to hopefully solve this problem) and then report back here. Thanks for all your replies so far as well ^.^

Isilia
05-03-08, 09:16 AM
Well I just installed my new heatsink and my CPU is at 50 C when I stress it, 30-35 C when idle.
But.. this didn't solve the problem of my PC shutting down when I play demanding games or run 3dmark06.

I noticed though that 3Dmark06 shuts down at the same point in the first movie it displays, the games however shut down randomly after 1-2 minutes.

stevemedes
05-03-08, 09:53 AM
Well I just installed my new heatsink and my CPU is at 50 C when I stress it, 30-35 C when idle.
But.. this didn't solve the problem of my PC shutting down when I play demanding games or run 3dmark06.

I noticed though that 3Dmark06 shuts down at the same point in the first movie it displays, the games however shut down randomly after 1-2 minutes.

have you run memtest on your memory? if its not the memory its the PSU.

Toss3
05-03-08, 10:41 AM

It's definitely your PSU - 8800gtx + c2d 6700 is more than it can handle. Just get a new 600w + quality one and you'll see that your problems will go away. :)