PDA

View Full Version : 11 signs you're no longer a hardcore gamer

Pages : [1] 2

Thingding
04-30-08, 09:56 AM
This is me...

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/xbox/11-signs-youre-no-longer-a-hard-core-gamer-329291

sigh.

HiCZoK4
04-30-08, 09:59 AM
Damn I am afraid to check this .....

Noriega
04-30-08, 10:08 AM
console lames blah I was playing online to 6am today PC is best hardcore ever!

Madpistol
04-30-08, 10:15 AM
Wow... a lot of that is me. I love playing games, but the "Magic" just isn't there anymore. I enjoy surfing the internet just as much as I enjoy playing TF2.... it's that bad. :(

LordJuanlo
04-30-08, 10:49 AM
It perfectly describes the process of getting old. I'm 32 today and I have been gaming since I was 7 (and got my first PC at the age of 10). 25 years gaming is quite a lot of time, and I feel proud of it. I have witnessed the evolution of gaming since I played tennis with my little sister, where the game was like this:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1102/oldieop9.png

I have played on the ZX-Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore Amiga... and all consoles since then. My PC was upgraded, it got the Sound Blaster, the VGA, the hard disk... later CD-ROM, Gravis UltraSound, 3Dfx Voodoo, Windows... now I got internet, widescreen, 64bit, quad core... I have seen everything, the grow of the videogame industry. I have liked lots of things in this industry, I haven't liked many others... but I feel lucky for being part of this story.

I don't think there will be moments in my current and future gaming life so special and intense like the 486/Pentium era: X-Wing, Monkey Island, Doom... those were the most awesome times. So yeah, I'm not a hardcore gamer anymore, but I don't care. I still play games almost daily and I still enjoy them. But I know I won't "live" the games like before.

I guess that's part of the game

evox
04-30-08, 10:52 AM
Still am. :D Will be till I die (or try anyway...)

SeriTonin
04-30-08, 11:20 AM
Yeah, this is me. Sucks too. But yes, I agree, I guess it's part of getting older.

I wanna say it's the mediocre games, but honestly, I think it's just me getting older and having seen " all that " before.

Nothing will ever compare to the first week of the original Doom and skipping 3 days of school, or UT99, the original warcraft, or harvester, or diablo.

Problem is pc lacks those small unique titles that grow as time goes on. Or even those small oddball titles that bomb, but are still fun as hell (see harvester)

I still try to enjoy gaming, but I find myself only playing in 20 minute intervals once or twice a week as of late.

XDanger
04-30-08, 11:41 AM
yes I am old so hardware is more fun than software

A lot of games used to give me the same feeling as treading into fresh snow ,Not anymore, Its all grey mush.

Thats not the games fault though.

JigenD
04-30-08, 12:37 PM
I don't think the list really applies to many people, and some of the points would apply to hardcore gamers ONLY, and few would apply to being 'casual'. Dumb list, IMO.

It perfectly describes the process of getting old. I'm 32 today and I have been gaming since I was 7 (and got my first PC at the age of 10). 25 years gaming is quite a lot of time, and I feel proud of it. I have witnessed the evolution of gaming since I played tennis with my little sister, where the game was like this:

snip

I have played on the ZX-Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore Amiga... and all consoles since then. My PC was upgraded, it got the Sound Blaster, the VGA, the hard disk... later CD-ROM, Gravis UltraSound, 3Dfx Voodoo, Windows... now I got internet, widescreen, 64bit, quad core... I have seen everything, the grow of the videogame industry. I have liked lots of things in this industry, I haven't liked many others... but I feel lucky for being part of this story.

I don't think there will be moments in my current and future gaming life so special and intense like the 486/Pentium era: X-Wing, Monkey Island, Doom... those were the most awesome times. So yeah, I'm not a hardcore gamer anymore, but I don't care. I still play games almost daily and I still enjoy them. But I know I won't "live" the games like before.

I guess that's part of the game

Similar experiences here, only 26, but gaming since I was 3 (being held up to arcade machines is like having crack in your bloodstream when born I suppose). First computer was a TI994a, and I fondly remember getting my first Sound Blaster, first CD-ROM drive, getting on the net in 1996, first 3dfx card, it's a good set of experiences. Also remember getting my NES, SNES, Genesis, and many many other consoles, I never had systems like Sega CD or 3D0 however.

The early 90's of PC gaming was a real golden age, I don't think anyone can deny that. So many magical moments back then. I would hold those times above any of my years of console gaming too probably. However I have enjoyed much console gaming too of course. The SNES era in the same time period was also awesome, and I feel the Dreamcast era and current era were/are pretty great too.

I feel I still enjoy games as much as ever, however. I think people change so obviously I won't have those 'first' experiences like playing Doom for the first time or Everquest for the first time, but I don't think it's worth degrading my current experiences, even if they aren't a 'revelation' like previous ones.

Personally I believe all of this is WHAT MAKES a hardcore gamer. Only a neophyte would feel the way we felt when first playing SMB, Doom, or any other landmark game, because that person is having their first experiences like our firsts right now.

ASUSEN7900GTX
04-30-08, 01:18 PM
well it has been days since i played on my 360 or PS2 adn PC so in a point taht can apply to me but once i paly a game i either sit there until itīs dome or i i paly in "episodes" so it wonīt be done so quick

but i find gaming lack of interest sure there is assassnins creed but i havenīt finished it on the 460 yet also not on pc.

so surte gaming getīs less attention i have a daughter that takes up alot of time so there are reasons to wich gaming has gotten less time

:D

but i still game the games i find fun

ClosetFanBoy
04-30-08, 02:06 PM
Hah. Some of that stuff is funny, but true. Back in my mid to late 20's, man what a freak/fanboy. Totally protected my fav dev's, hardware companies, games, scoured the net for news, had a good 10 games on hardrive at all times, had the latest greatest hardware the second it came out. 3 gaming PC's networked, zipping around in my chair from keyboard to keyboard wreaking havoc.

But hey, one thing I had a lot of time for, chasing skirt! :D

Now in my, cough, late 30's, unbiased, still have my fav dev and hardware, just not psycho about it, 1 or 2 games on hd and a step behind what when who where and how. (but, still chasing skirt) (nana2)

Funny how the forums I frequent clued me in as to how I'm getting older, newer generations coming in, things that were frowned upon seem to be a given right now, not being able to relate to some of the stubborn biased ways. Cool thing is, I can look back and laugh, cause, I have typed with my face on a few occasions.... It's a trip man. Now I'm a thrill seeker and my PC seems like a ball and chain.

Ah the good ol days when it wasnt about textures and aa, but the escape. A good escape is hard to find anymore.

Technoholic
04-30-08, 02:11 PM
Wow... a lot of that is me. I love playing games, but the "Magic" just isn't there anymore. I enjoy surfing the internet just as much as I enjoy playing TF2.... it's that bad. :(
Yeah.. The magic isn't there just perfectly describes it.

Damn, it's scary how we get older and we get away from gamings. Like I was crazy over GTA's, and GTA4 is out, I'm not even hyped. But looking forward to playing it on my brother's 360 though.

Lfctony
04-30-08, 03:33 PM
Well, I've known this for a while now. I'm getting older. I no longer have the patience or the energy to just sit for some hours and play a game. It's become every 2-3 days, for 1 hour or so...

Thingding
04-30-08, 03:50 PM
It perfectly describes the process of getting old. I'm 32 today and I have been gaming since I was 7 (and got my first PC at the age of 10). 25 years gaming is quite a lot of time, and I feel proud of it.

Happy birthday, you old b*gger! ha ha 30 here and I followed the ZX Spectrum route.

The true man's path to hardcore gaming.

I used to have a big bag full to the brim with cassettes of games, four or five on each. And I'd played every last one of them. Of course in those days you never, ever, EVER finished a game because they always got pointlessly hard towards the end.

SH64
04-30-08, 04:00 PM
I have to admit i dont meet the hardcore gamer reqs anymore .. guess i'm getting old but hey! one thing is for sure .. am still a graphics-wh0re & this will not be changed even after 100 years! :D

sahilmalhotra17
05-01-08, 05:56 AM
not me ...... gamer till i die..... although i grew up and learned the ropes at arcades playing street fighter: champion edition and TMNT tournament..... moved on to tekken 3 and then discovered emulation..... currently emulating dbz budokai tenkaichi 3 at full fps 99-100%. also playing assassins creed on dx 10 @ 1280 X 1024

---------------------------

Core 2 Q6600@3.0GHz
4GB Corsair DDR 2
Simmtronics nvidia 8800GT@650/1560

K007
05-01-08, 06:11 AM
****..so true...strangely enough i was wondering about the good old days...and i am like..wtf is wrong with me..i shouldn't have run there...ffs...-.-...

sytaylor
05-01-08, 06:31 AM
Im kinda in the middle.

I still have my hardcore gaming snobbery. I demand to have the big games asap, and latest hardware... but then I'll get a game, play it a bit, and not touch it. I'm still only half way through Half Life 2...

tornadog
05-01-08, 08:54 AM
F-ing A...that article was like the writer took a camera and observed me for a month and wrote down everything he saw...I am a middle aged gamer and I am no longer proud of it...my friends mock me when I start talking about videogames, I wonder what they say behind my back. probably calling me a nutjob!!!!

See my sig, I own a heavyduty PC, ps3, 360 and wii, not because I need them, but because I can!!! I hate the wii, you can see mine is for sale right in this forums. I hate playing online because I am a sore loser and after doing 12 hour work shifts, the last thing I want is to be wiped of the floor by some smack talking 12-14 year old. At least with single player, if the game is too tough, set difficulty to lowest and get back at the game, especially the sports games. So the computer scored 3 goals against u on professional, set it to amateur and score 20 goals and then happily shake ur fist at it!!!!

evox
05-01-08, 09:50 AM
See my sig, I own a heavyduty PC, ps3, 360 and wii, not because I need them, but because I can!!! I hate the wii, you can see mine is for sale right in this forums. I hate playing online because I am a sore loser and after doing 12 hour work shifts, the last thing I want is to be wiped of the floor by some smack talking 12-14 year old. At least with single player, if the game is too tough, set difficulty to lowest and get back at the game, especially the sports games. So the computer scored 3 goals against u on professional, set it to amateur and score 20 goals and then happily shake ur fist at it!!!!

lol. :p

Yaboze
05-01-08, 10:23 AM
It's a funny article because it's true for the most part. I'm a pretty old gamer, almost 40 (although many people think I'm around 30) and I just don't game like I used to.

I started with the Apple IIe, of all things, had games for that, loved it. I'd even do the BBS thing at 1200bps, back in the day.

I took a break from PC's in the late 80's and early 90's and did the console thing, Sega and the SNES. I loved Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Zelda, Mario, etc. Soon after I got a 486 and all the uber early 90's games, Monkey Island, 7th Guest, Doom I and II, Wolfenstein, Myst, Descent and many more. This was pre-internet days. Good times.

I've stuck with PC's ever since and did get a Playstation at one point around 96 or so, but didn't really bother again until the Xbox and 360.

Now, I mostly play MMO's, get my butt kicked in FPS games, especially CoD4, but I can still hold my own.

When I walk into GS, I am always the oldest one there. I felt old this week when all these parents were coming in that are a little older than me with their teenagers, buying them GTA IV.

When I read the subject of this post, I already knew I wasn't hardcore anymore. I'm older, married and have a kid, so my hardcore days are over. I'm guessing in 5-10 years I'll still game, but just maybe 1-2 on the HD and that's about it.

Noriega
05-01-08, 10:38 AM
PC owwnzzz I own noobs all day (nana2)

andy_nv
05-01-08, 04:35 PM
I'm almost 26, about 15 years of PC gaming, and agree with most of the points in that article. Mid-life gaming crisis setting in early ? :p

Bah!
05-01-08, 04:46 PM
I don't think the list really applies to many people, and some of the points would apply to hardcore gamers ONLY, and few would apply to being 'casual'. Dumb list, IMO.

Did you happen to read the posts before and after yours?

Seems it applies to most people.

sytaylor
05-01-08, 07:19 PM
Wouldn't it be good if there was an OP ED type site for this type of gamer?

Watch this space.