PDA

View Full Version : Wii game quality down the drain...

|MaguS|
05-01-08, 09:13 AM
Should Nintendo bring back the seal of approval on Wii titles? Recent reports state that only 20 titles out of 189 have received 80% or higher by reviews. Nintendo seems to not care about this trend either.

http://gamefunk.net/?p=57

As a comparison the report states that 86 out of 374 titles (23% of the titles) on the X360 have received 80% or higher and 40 out of 122 titles (33% of the titles) on the PS3 have received 80% or higher.

So what do your Wii fans thing? Should Nintendo have more control over the titles released on their system?

christos
05-01-08, 09:30 AM
I think if a person buys 1 or 2 subpar games, they would be smart enough to research their purchase going forward.

If someone knows enough to look for the nintendo seal of approval on a game and knows what it means....they should know enough to read reviews.

tornadog
05-01-08, 10:03 AM
many of the games for the wii are really basic and in a critic's eye lack quality. But ask the end user, and they will tell u these games are all fun as hell. Games like cooking mama, Rayman raving Rabbids, Mario Party, Trauma Center, theres nothing to these games when you look at them as a whole. A few minigames repeated to death. But guess what get ur friends, and play those and u could play them for hours at end!!!!!

S.I.N
05-01-08, 11:59 AM
I don't think Nintendo gives a **** about the software side of things especially when there systems are selling like crazy at a instant profit that dwarfs anything they make off software.

|MaguS|
05-01-08, 12:01 PM
I don't think Nintendo gives a **** about the software side of things especially when there systems are selling like crazy at a instant profit that dwarfs anything they make off software.

I don't think they make as much off the console then they would off of software sales... Theirs a reason the DS is generating so much money for them, because the games are cheap to develop.

S.I.N
05-01-08, 12:25 PM
I don't think they make as much off the console then they would off of software sales... Theirs a reason the DS is generating so much money for them, because the games are cheap to develop.

Yeah it usually works that way but in regards to the Wii which was profitable right out the gate and the cost of manufacturing as already gone down I bet they see more from it than they do software. I wouldn't be surprised if that make more than a 50% profit on each system sold which is huge.

|MaguS|
05-01-08, 12:30 PM
Yeah it usually works that way but in regards to the Wii which was profitable right out the gate and the cost of manufacturing as already gone down I bet they see more from it than they do software. I wouldn't be surprised if that make more than a 50% profit on each system sold which is huge.
I just don't think Nintendo cares about third party developers. As long as their games sell well and people continue to buy their console, they could careless what third party developers do on their console.

Which in the long run I think is going to come back to bite them in the ass when developers slowly start dropping support for them when they realize that Nintendo is the only one making money from the console.

christos
05-01-08, 01:23 PM
Which in the long run I think is going to come back to bite them in the ass when developers slowly start dropping support for them when they realize that Nintendo is the only one making money from the console.

Or maybe developers will realize they can't just push any crappy game out the door and expect it to sell well and will put forth the effort to create a AAA title for the wii as Nintendo has.

I think part of the reason for the crappy 3rd party games is that most companies were completely caught off guard by the Wii's success (such as EA), and threw together development teams at the last minute just to get some games out to the hungry public.

|MaguS|
05-01-08, 01:29 PM
I think part of the reason for the crappy 3rd party games is that most companies were completely caught off guard by the Wii's success (such as EA), and threw together development teams at the last minute just to get some games out to the hungry public.
I don't think thats the case all around, Look at so many developers who took the time with games like Red Steel and Raving Rabbids yet they failed at retail. Heck many games have received a decent reviews and still sold poorly like No more Heroes which received critical acclaim and yet failed.

We will really see how well console sales relate to software sells when Monster Hunter releases on the platform. On the Playstation platforms its an instant hit, lets see how it does on the Wii.

christos
05-01-08, 01:37 PM
I don't think thats the case all around, Look at so many developers who took the time with games like Red Steel and Raving Rabbids yet they failed at retail. Heck many games have received a decent reviews and still sold poorly like No more Heroes which received critical acclaim and yet failed.

I love Raving Rabbids....with a friend or two and a couple of drinks. Great fun.
Did Raving Rabbids really fail at retail? If so, why part 2?

On that note, Carnival Games (another fun game with drinks and friends) has sold 800K and counting.

I think the overall problem is that the Wii demographic consists of casual gamers who bought it mainly for wii sports, and retro-ish gamers like myself, who bought it for the next Zelda, Metroid, Mario. People in the latter category most likely also own a 360 or PS3 and will purchase their hardcore games on those platforms.

Games like Red Steel or No More Heroes just don't compare against similiar type games on the other platforms.

|MaguS|
05-01-08, 01:41 PM
I bet No More Heroes would have sold far better on the PS2... 800K games sold for a system with 24 Million consoles on the market is pretty poor attachment rate.

christos
05-01-08, 01:44 PM
I bet No More Heroes would have sold far better on the PS2... 800K games sold for a system with 24 Million consoles on the market is pretty poor attachment rate.

But then again, from a business perspective, how much could Carnival Games possibly have cost to develop vs how much to develop an 800K selling game on PS3/360?

|MaguS|
05-01-08, 01:51 PM
Carnival Games was DEFINITELY a low budget game...I mean, c'mon, the title is "Carnival Games". It evokes memories of carnies yelling at me claiming I can win a prize when all they really want to do is kill me, take all of my money, and rape my girlfriend.
Um... That was our last time out at a bar...

3DBrad
05-02-08, 01:28 AM
I think at release the Wii was making $76 for each console sold, compared to the $300-500 or so Msoft and Sony was losing.

Now I'm sure the Wii makes more, and the 360 now makes a profit, and perhaps the PS3 too.

nemecb
05-02-08, 11:55 AM
I don't think thats the case all around, Look at so many developers who took the time with games like Red Steel and Raving Rabbids yet they failed at retail.
Failed at retail? Red Steel sold over a million copies, despite the fact that by most accounts it had some pretty serious flaws. Both Rayman games sold over a million. I hardly think that qualifies as retail failure.

If you want good games that were retail failures, you should be looking more at games like Zack and Wiki and Medal of Honor Heroes 2. Both very well received critically but sold pathetically (although Zack and Wiki has managed around 350,000 sales, which is not bad for a game that was completely ignored by its publisher). Still, it's not like third party games can't sell well on the Wii. If I'm reading the charts right, it has more million selling third party titles than the PS3. The 360 is way ahead of both, but it's also been out for a year longer so it's hard to say how much of that is solely due to it being easier to sell software on the platform (which it is, I'm not arguing that point, it's just not clear how much easier it is). And yes, I realize that the Wii's larger install base has a lot to do with it, but given that it's still dominating the hardware sales I think it's safe to say that will probably continue, so if you're trying to predict where games will sell in the future you have to consider it.