PDA

View Full Version : GTA IV: (22" LCD 720p) vs. (32" 480p CRT)

Pages : [1] 2

Gaco
05-01-08, 01:42 PM
I'm one of those poor bastards who doesn't have an HDTV yet, though I'm working on it. I do have both an X360 and PS3 so it kinda sucks :/

Anyway my question: would you rather play GTA IV (on the X360) in 480p on a 32" CRT or move a little closer to the screen and play it on a 22" Widescreen PC monitor instead capable of 720p (native: 1680*1050)? I'll start playing it tomorrow with a buddy of mine so we'll be two playing it.

Some games are more sensitive towards resolution than others. Dead Rising is unbearable in 480p, it needs 720p. But perhaps it's different with other games? I dunno. Originally I was planning on the 22" 720p but I just came in doubt. Would like some opinions :)

|MaguS|
05-01-08, 01:45 PM
I would say 22" 720p, the map would be hard to follow on low resolution and well it will also just look better.

crainger
05-01-08, 04:54 PM
Hard choice. The monitor will probably scale like crap and both will look kinda bad. ::(:

Destroy
05-01-08, 05:28 PM
Saw this game on both 720p CRT and LCD; CRT won easily. But if its only a 480p CRT that may get pretty bad. I have to go with the LCD in your case.

HiCZoK4
05-02-08, 02:25 PM
I am i the same situation. Currently running on standatd ****ty 32 tv
But i have 226bw connected to my pc. Getting vga cable isnt so easy so I am asking here is it worth the effort

Gaco
05-02-08, 04:39 PM
****. I am SO disappointed with the game's graphics. I had read something about blurryness and a high volume of jaggies but ****. It's almost unbearable. It's gonna have to get a lot of time getting used to. I definently think it ruins part of the experience, no ****. Perhaps my 22" 16:10 LCD is scaling badly in any resolution, I tried several so my plans are now to put GTA IV on hold until I get a real native 1080p HDTV. Also my Z-5500 sorround sound just stopped working last night, reeeal good timing. So the sound was crap too. Be didn't have a very good experience overall though there were some really good moments in between. Problem just is that they were too far in between to keep going on for more than a few hours in succession.

I think I read that somebody else on this board decripted it as though someone had just smeared butter all over their screen. It's not far from my experience. The visuals are incredibly unfocused just 20 meters ahead, I really hope most of it is caused by some kind of bad scaling by my monitor :(
As it looks for me now I'd give graphics somewhere around 6.5/10.

But overall the game is pretty cool. Lot of attention to detail, lots of cool stuff going on.

Another criticism I have is that the controls (on foot) doesn't feel tight or accurate at all. Anyone experiencing the same thing? Or do I just need adjusting?

kev13dd
05-02-08, 05:21 PM
I play the Xbox 360 version on a 24" Widescreen Dell 2407WFP HC and I'm a tad dissapointed (coming in over VGA and displaying at 1080p 1:1 pixel mapping) with how it looks. My roommate's CRT 24 inch looks nicer (then again his is the PS3 version) in my opinion. I'll admit it has it's moments, but after playing racing games like Burnout and Dirt on this monitor, GTA just dissapoints

Just a note though, text is sometimes hard to read on my roommates screen. Not as bad as Dead Rising, but not amazing for the weak eyed geeks sitting 3 or more feet away

About the controls on foot: it does feel odd to me, but only because right stick is "look" rather then the normal "turn character in that direction". Hope that makes sense. Overall it's different than how most 3rd person shooters I've played work, but mainly because most 3rd person games always have a receptacle full time. I don't like it, and wish you could change it, but meh

K

Gaco
05-02-08, 05:23 PM
I play the Xbox 360 version on a 24" Widescreen Dell 2407WFP HC and I'm a tad dissapointed (coming in over VGA and displaying at 1080p 1:1 pixel mapping) with how it looks. My roommate's CRT 24 inch looks nicer (then again his is the PS3 version) in my opinion. I'll admit it has it's moments, but after playing racing games like Burnout and Dirt on this monitor, GTA just dissapoints

K
The PS3 version looks slightly worse than the Xbox360 version (aside from the slight difference in pop-in) so it's not that.

BTW I also noticed some pretty severe dithering at times, especially with the shadow :/

Mathesar
05-02-08, 08:25 PM
(22" LCD 720P vs. 32" 480P CRT) -- The only thing making this decision hard for me is the text readability in 480p ,I played 360's version at a friends on his 32" SDTV CRT and we had problems reading some text but all of it was legible. however his CRT only has Composite inputs (yes the crappy yellow video cable), BUT if your CRT has Component or SVIDEO inputs then I would go with the CRT no doubt as it will destroy the LCDs scaled output.

GTA4 is a dark game and the CRT's superior black level performance will come through in a lot of the presentation / atmosphere.

kev13dd
05-02-08, 10:30 PM
The PS3 version looks slightly worse than the Xbox360 version (aside from the slight difference in pop-in) so it's not that.

BTW I also noticed some pretty severe dithering at times, especially with the shadow :/
YES!

I could not think of the word for that effect, but it was pissing me off hardcore. The best I could come up with is "checkboardish fuzzy shadows" but I was afraid I'd get laughed at if I complained using those terms. GTA wouldn't be so horrible if it fixed the framerate, dithering, texture pop in, and draw distance issues (objects popping in). The way the reviews talked I thought I'd finally get a nice looking GTA compared to the bug ridden ones of the past. It's better, still annoying

K

Gaco
05-03-08, 03:49 AM
(22" LCD 720P vs. 32" 480P CRT) -- The only thing making this decision hard for me is the text readability in 480p ,I played 360's version at a friends on his 32" SDTV CRT and we had problems reading some text but all of it was legible. however his CRT only has Composite inputs (yes the crappy yellow video cable), BUT if your CRT has Component or SVIDEO inputs then I would go with the CRT no doubt as it will destroy the LCDs scaled output.

GTA4 is a dark game and the CRT's superior black level performance will come through in a lot of the presentation / atmosphere.
Yes exactly. I constantly tried to turn down the brightness and adjust the contrast when playing on my LCD, I couldn't find a good looking setting..

That being said I still think GTA IV looked waaay better on the night. Much less noticable aliasing and much less noticable blurring.

YES!

I could not think of the word for that effect, but it was pissing me off hardcore. The best I could come up with is "checkboardish fuzzy shadows" but I was afraid I'd get laughed at if I complained using those terms. GTA wouldn't be so horrible if it fixed the framerate, dithering, texture pop in, and draw distance issues (objects popping in). The way the reviews talked I thought I'd finally get a nice looking GTA compared to the bug ridden ones of the past. It's better, still annoying

K
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what it's called: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither#Digital_photography_and_image_processing

I'm thinking it will hopefully look a better once I get a real 1080p screen that has the correct ratio (16:9, not 16:10) that can upscale from 720p to 1080p pretty good. Until then I'm definently putting GTA IV "on hold", I've been wanting an HDTV for ages anyways, I finally just wrote a job application..

HiCZoK4
05-03-08, 05:02 AM
btw. How to connect headphones or speakers when xbox360 connected to pc display which has no speakers ??!! I am new to consoles so dont blame me for my noobism :p

kev13dd
05-03-08, 10:17 AM
Yes exactly. I constantly tried to turn down the brightness and adjust the contrast when playing on my LCD, I couldn't find a good looking setting..

That being said I still think GTA IV looked waaay better on the night. Much less noticable aliasing and much less noticable blurring.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what it's called: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither#Digital_photography_and_image_processing

I'm thinking it will hopefully look a better once I get a real 1080p screen that has the correct ratio (16:9, not 16:10) that can upscale from 720p to 1080p pretty good. Until then I'm definently putting GTA IV "on hold", I've been wanting an HDTV for ages anyways, I finally just wrote a job application..
My monitor is 16:10, but it's a native 1920x1200, so when I play at 1080p I can use 1:1 pixel mapping and there is no upscaling done by the monitor; just tiny black bars above and below. And it's still got all the issues you mentioned

I think this is one of the games that might look better at 720 with no upscaling

btw. How to connect headphones or speakers when xbox360 connected to pc display which has no speakers ??!! I am new to consoles so dont blame me for my noobism :p

The VGA cable has 2 RCA audio outs or a digital audio out that you can run to speakers (even if you use component to a monitor you can just run the audo cables elsewhere with extension cables). Personally I have my Xbox running into the audio-in on my PC soundcard. I always have those "wish I'd had a little forsight" moments where 2 weeks after buying my $130 sound card I bought my X360. If it had been the other way around, I probably would have bought a sound card with digital in :(

K

Starscream
05-03-08, 11:05 AM
most 3rd person games always have a recepticle full time.

A recepticle eh?

Depending on what kind of recepticle it is I imagine it being kind of hard to aim...

kev13dd
05-03-08, 03:58 PM
A recepticle eh?

Depending on what kind of recepticle it is I imagine it being kind of hard to aim...
*reticle

Probably should have just said crosshair, but who knows what word I would have come up with if I typed that one wrong

Although I stand by the fact that GTA doesn't have any receptacle either

K

mailman2
05-17-08, 11:18 AM
****. I am SO disappointed with the game's graphics. I had read something about blurryness and a high volume of jaggies but ****. It's almost unbearable. It's gonna have to get a lot of time getting used to. I definently think it ruins part of the experience, no ****. Perhaps my 22" 16:10 LCD is scaling badly in any resolution, I tried several so my plans are now to put GTA IV on hold until I get a real native 1080p HDTV. Also my Z-5500 sorround sound just stopped working last night, reeeal good timing. So the sound was crap too. Be didn't have a very good experience overall though there were some really good moments in between. Problem just is that they were too far in between to keep going on for more than a few hours in succession.

I think I read that somebody else on this board decripted it as though someone had just smeared butter all over their screen. It's not far from my experience. The visuals are incredibly unfocused just 20 meters ahead, I really hope most of it is caused by some kind of bad scaling by my monitor :(
As it looks for me now I'd give graphics somewhere around 6.5/10.

But overall the game is pretty cool. Lot of attention to detail, lots of cool stuff going on.

Another criticism I have is that the controls (on foot) doesn't feel tight or accurate at all. Anyone experiencing the same thing? Or do I just need adjusting?

Connect it to a tv, any TV - even a 13" TV looked way better than my PC monitor. I dont think GTA is coming over the VGA cable in HD..ever. BO Paradise looked great but GTA IV only looks good on a CRT TV.

HiCZoK4
05-17-08, 12:49 PM
It looks way better on 22lcd than on 20crtTV

mailman2
05-17-08, 12:55 PM
It looks way better on 22lcd than on 20crtTV

GTA IV looks like utter garbage on my 22 LCD. tried multiple monitors and HD VGA cables. Not good, TV looks better for this one.

HiCZoK4
05-17-08, 01:01 PM
GTA IV looks like utter garbage on my 22 LCD. tried multiple monitors and HD VGA cables. Not good, TV looks better for this one.
Maybe you are setting somethig wrong ? I am just using standard vga cable and 1280x768 res with expand setting. 226bw btw.

Mathesar
05-18-08, 09:29 AM
Connect it to a tv, any TV - even a 13" TV looked way better than my PC monitor. I dont think GTA is coming over the VGA cable in HD..ever. BO Paradise looked great but GTA IV only looks good on a CRT TV.

Not true, GTA IV looks awesome on my 50" Kuro plasma, noticeably better than my 34" Sony XBR960 CRT HDTV.

mailman2
05-18-08, 11:09 AM
Maybe you are setting somethig wrong ? I am just using standard vga cable and 1280x768 res with expand setting. 226bw btw.

There aren't any settings other than the resolution. I tried 720P to 1280x1024 widescreen to even 1080. I think my monitor is stretching everything, it doesnt have an option for scaling so it fills the screen. Burnout looks good but GTA 4 looks terrible. I've got the Acer 22" x222w.

I guess it must be the scaling with the 360 and GTA. I have found alot of other people with the same issue, but it seems to only be GTA IV as even my other 360 games are fine on my x222w.

http://forums.gametrailers.com/showpost.php?p=10225919&postcount=20
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/grandtheftauto4/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-42866962&pid=933037&page=1

JigenD
05-18-08, 11:32 AM
Someone who's complaining of the bad image quality should take pics of the game with a camera off their LCD.

The game looks really great on my CRT HDTV. Noticeably better than most other games.

mailman2
05-18-08, 04:57 PM
Someone who's complaining of the bad image quality should take pics of the game with a camera off their LCD.

The game looks really great on my CRT HDTV. Noticeably better than most other games.

Maybe later I will hook it back up. Right now enoying it much more on the TV :D

This guy claimed to have found a problem, I dont think there are reference levels to play with over the VGA cable though.

http://forumplanet.gamespy.com/gta_iv_discussion/b49791/19793827/p2

npras42
05-18-08, 05:58 PM
Reference Levels are mainly for the benefit of VGA connections but that shouldn't have anything to do with blurriness but rather contrast specifically black contrast.

mailman2
05-18-08, 07:29 PM
Reference Levels are mainly for the benefit of VGA connections but that shouldn't have anything to do with blurriness but rather contrast specifically black contrast.

Yea it didnt help, I've got pics of the blurry mess, gotta fine somewhere to upload them to.