PDA

View Full Version : Server 2008 as a desktop OS

Pages : [1] 2

dxx
05-01-08, 04:19 PM
I guess that, by now, everyone's read the wibblings on websites declaring Server 2008 as TEH FASTEST OS EVARR and such, and I dig the theory behind it, but haven't seen any actual evidence to show that S2008 genuinely is faster than Vista.

Has anyone here tested S2008, and found numbers to prove that it's faster? Or, has anyone found any benchmarks on t'interweb that show a fully-tweaked S2008 to be faster than a fully-tweaked Vista? Or is this one that I'm going to have to test out myself?

Q
05-01-08, 04:36 PM
I've run a clean install of both side by side on the same system. I don't benchmark. Period. I don't care. From a "desktop responsiveness" perspective, there really is no comparison. Server 08 is hands down faster.

That's all I can tell you.

npras42
05-01-08, 05:16 PM
Is Server 2008 the one with the corruption issue? I didn't realise you could use it as a main desktop OS... Never really looked into it.

dxx
05-01-08, 05:20 PM
I've run a clean install of both side by side on the same system. I don't benchmark. Period. I don't care. From a "desktop responsiveness" perspective, there really is no comparison. Server 08 is hands down faster.

That's all I can tell you.

And you seem like a guy who generally knows what he's talking about. Reeto, shall arrange some harddisk space, and get cracking. Danke.

Monolyth
05-01-08, 05:23 PM
Give us an update dxx once u get it in and running games, etc. Would be interested to see how well it performs. :)

Also apparently you can use Vista drivers for it. ;)

Phyxion
05-02-08, 12:31 PM
Yes it's possible but before everything works a bit it will cost you hours to fix something suitable. Halo 2 doesnt work @ 2008 (Not that I play it).

npras42
05-02-08, 01:05 PM
Take a look at this for a 'Getting Started' guide.

http://blogs.msdn.com/vijaysk/archive/2008/02/11/using-windows-server-2008-as-a-super-desktop-os.aspx

I'm quite interested in this but won't be trying it for a long while. Need a new PC and some money to buy the OS! I'd really like to hear how it goes for you.

Toss3
05-02-08, 01:16 PM
http://www.imagebam.com/image/9786675364575

Seems like it's faster than Vista 64 + SP1. Going to try the trial version myself now. :) XP 64 is also very fast.

Q
05-02-08, 01:36 PM
And you seem like a guy who generally knows what he's talking about. Reeto, shall arrange some harddisk space, and get cracking. Danke.

Thanks.

There are a few "minor" quirks here and there. The Snipping tool is conspicuously absent, along with Media Center, the sidebar, and a few other things I suppose. Also, a few games will refuse to install. There are ini tweaks for most available.

Make sure to turn on the two Windows Audio services and anything else you might desire.

Toss3
05-02-08, 01:42 PM
http://blogs.msdn.com/vijaysk/archive/2008/02/11/using-windows-server-2008-as-a-super-desktop-os.aspx

Here's a guide on how to change the server OS into a workstation! :)

Toss3
05-02-08, 01:44 PM
Thanks.

There are a few "minor" quirks here and there. The Snipping tool is conspicuously absent, along with Media Center, the sidebar, and a few other things I suppose. Also, a few games will refuse to install. There are ini tweaks for most available.

Make sure to turn on the two Windows Audio services and anything else you might desire.
I'm gonna have Server up and running in about an hour or so, so if you have any tips on how to get things running as they should quickly then post away! :D Every bit of help will be much appreciated!

Monolyth
05-02-08, 01:56 PM
You can use vista drivers for 2008 (AFAIK), maybe that will help, I'm most interested (as I'm sure others are) about real-world game performance, if it's possible to get these numbers it would be very exciting to see how well it does.

Monolyth
05-02-08, 01:57 PM
Also I found this: http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/

Toss3
05-02-08, 02:12 PM
You can use vista drivers for 2008 (AFAIK), maybe that will help, I'm most interested (as I'm sure others are) about real-world game performance, if it's possible to get these numbers it would be very exciting to see how well it does.
I could try installing crysis and do some quick benchmarks. :) And maybe try 3dmark06, or should I try pcmark instead?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/trial-software.aspx

Toss3
05-02-08, 05:53 PM
I'm now running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise edition, and it's blazingly fast! Takes a bit of time to set up and I'm having some problems, so I'm not going to be able to run any benchmarks today ;/ will have to see about that tomorrow! But it's definitely much much faster than Vista! (nana2)

npras42
05-02-08, 06:13 PM
I'm now running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise edition, and it's blazingly fast! Takes a bit of time to set up and I'm having some problems, so I'm not going to be able to run any benchmarks today ;/ will have to see about that tomorrow! But it's definitely much much faster than Vista! (nana2)

Could you elaborate? In what ways have you found it faster?

Toss3
05-02-08, 06:18 PM
Could you elaborate? In what ways have you found it faster?
It's just plain faster in everything you do - from installing a driver to opening a folder. Even firefox is noticeably faster(installing plugins takes about one second :D). You should try it and see for yourself! You'll be amazed by the increase in speed! Installing it took merely 10minutes, while installing Vista took me almost 40minutes. Can't wait to try other things as well. And btw. installing all my chipset drivers took me only about 5 seconds >D.

EDIT: Can't seem to get one of my HDDs to work - I can see it in the device manager and under Disk Management, but I just can't seem to get Windows to assign it a letter. :/(there's a little red arrow next to it in Disk Management?)

Sazar
05-02-08, 07:37 PM
It's just plain faster in everything you do - from installing a driver to opening a folder. Even firefox is noticeably faster(installing plugins takes about one second :D). You should try it and see for yourself! You'll be amazed by the increase in speed! Installing it took merely 10minutes, while installing Vista took me almost 40minutes. Can't wait to try other things as well. And btw. installing all my chipset drivers took me only about 5 seconds >D.

EDIT: Can't seem to get one of my HDDs to work - I can see it in the device manager and under Disk Management, but I just can't seem to get Windows to assign it a letter. :/(there's a little red arrow next to it in Disk Management?)

Is it a new drive? If so, use the disk management tool to format.

If it's a previously formatted drive, not sure whats going on :(

Toss3
05-02-08, 07:42 PM
Is it a new drive? If so, use the disk management tool to format.

If it's a previously formatted drive, not sure whats going on :(
I'm guessing it's not supported by Server 2008. Going to check if it shows up in Vista 64. :) Maybe I can then back it up and format it...

EDIT: Yep, shows up in regular vista, so I don't know what the problem is. Maybe it has something to do with how server 200 handles HDDs.

Toss3
05-02-08, 07:48 PM
Noticed a 3-5% decrease in processor Usage during movie playback(without purevideo)! :)

grey_1
05-02-08, 07:55 PM
Is the drive the only issue you are having?

Toss3
05-02-08, 08:06 PM
Is the drive the only issue you are having?
Yep, and formatting it didn't help... :-/ And of course the limited time to activation(which can be extended to 240 Days).

dxx
05-02-08, 09:17 PM
Cheers for all the replies, dudes. I'm up way past my bedtime now, but I've done all the HDD rearranging shizzles necessary to perform the Server install, so I'll get cracking on it tomorrow morning.

So, benchmarks, then. 3D Mark 2006 is the standard, so that'll want to be run. UT3, since the engine seems to be used by everyone these days, Prime95, DPC Latency (latency, to me as a musician, is an utter killer OS feature, and Vista really isn't as sharp as MS made it out to be), CPU time consumed for a couple of minutes of 1080i HD, and Sonar 7 rendering a remixed No Woman No Cry. Anything anyone else would be curious to see tested?

Toss3
05-02-08, 09:18 PM
Got my drive online again! But now it seems like it's stuck in read-only mode :thumbdwn:

EDIT: Wohoo got it fixed by running some commands in the command prompt! :) Sucks that you don't have this much control under regular vista..

Monolyth
05-03-08, 01:15 PM
Cheers for all the replies, dudes. I'm up way past my bedtime now, but I've done all the HDD rearranging shizzles necessary to perform the Server install, so I'll get cracking on it tomorrow morning.

So, benchmarks, then. 3D Mark 2006 is the standard, so that'll want to be run. UT3, since the engine seems to be used by everyone these days, Prime95, DPC Latency (latency, to me as a musician, is an utter killer OS feature, and Vista really isn't as sharp as MS made it out to be), CPU time consumed for a couple of minutes of 1080i HD, and Sonar 7 rendering a remixed No Woman No Cry. Anything anyone else would be curious to see tested?

w00t :) Good to hear, how about some CoD4 (if you have it)? Much thanks! Will be interesting to see. We've heard all about the "desktop" performance, but gaming will be interesting to see.

Can't wait to hear from both you & Toss, ;) good times.