PDA

View Full Version : Rockstar games: "**** casual gaming"

Pages : [1] 2

evox
05-02-08, 02:00 PM
So the gaming industry has changed a lot since the last GTA ...
Yeah, **** all this stuff about casual gaming. I think people still want games that are groundbreaking. The Wii is doing something totally different, which is fantastic. We're hopefully going to prove that there’s also a very big audience for people who want entertainment in another form, who think of games as being a narrative device that can challenge movies. We always said: We’re not going release a large number of games. They’re going to have the production values of movies. They're gonna be about themes that interest us whatever the medium, instead of the weird, special video game–only themes that too many people make — orcs and elves, or monsters, or space. We felt you could make a good game and have it be about something we could actually relate to. Or aspire to.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/05/rockstar_games_dan_houser.html

|MaguS|
05-02-08, 02:02 PM
But Im a casual gamer now. :(

sytaylor
05-02-08, 02:04 PM
Im a casual gamer who now, enjoys narrative led epics.

Q
05-02-08, 02:16 PM
But Im a casual gamer now. :(

Well **** YOU magNus.

;)

Noriega
05-02-08, 02:30 PM
I thought that game in which you can fall off from the bike going 200mph is casual (nana2)

slick
05-02-08, 02:53 PM
Misleading thread title is misleading.

Severian126
05-02-08, 03:15 PM
It seems to me Rockstar is trying to eliminate the dinstinction between casual and hardcore, and elevate gaming to a medium both groups can enjoy. Just like movies.

ClosetFanBoy
05-02-08, 03:36 PM
Sheesh. **** me too I guess. :D

methimpikehoses
05-02-08, 03:40 PM
Too bad more gaming companies don't have Rockstar's outlook.

six_storm
05-02-08, 03:58 PM
I'm a casual gamer but I still want a great game providing a great experience. GTA4 sure does the trick :thumbsup:

JigenD
05-02-08, 04:02 PM
I think one of the prerequisites for being a casual gamer is you can't have visited a PC gaming forum within 6 months, sorry guys, you're all hardcore.

evox
05-02-08, 04:08 PM
Misleading thread title is misleading.
Houser said "**** casual gaming". As the VP of Rockstar, I believe he speaks on company's behalf. Don't take it too literally as all of Rockstar's employees didn't gather up and gave Peggle the finger. But still... He may not be speaking directly behalf of the company, but he's the VP, so his words obviously count towards the company's feeling on the said subject.

TheManko
05-02-08, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I don't think reading and posting here goes too well with calling oneself a "casual" gamer.

|MaguS|
05-02-08, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I don't think reading and posting here goes too well with calling oneself a "casual" gamer.

I consider myself a casual gamer because I just don't get a chance or feel the need to play as often as I use to. It's not because I dislike hardcore games anymore. I love deep games, it just takes me far longer to complete an RPG then it use to. I remember beating FF7 in less then a week. Now it takes me over a month to complete an RPG if I focus on it alone.

LycosV
05-03-08, 02:58 AM
I don't think that casual and hardcore are the only options, I think regular gamer is in between those two. "Casual" gamers generally are those who only play solitare/PopCap games or Wii Sports. Generally if you own any kind of add on video card you're not a "casual" gamer.

Madpistol
05-03-08, 10:02 AM
I'm sure Jack Thompson is sitting at home wanking over Rockstar's statement.

Noriega
05-03-08, 10:06 AM
**** Rockstar games!

Zelda_fan
05-03-08, 12:56 PM
GTA4 does not have anywhere close to the production value of a movie.

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-03-08, 01:15 PM
yeah that´s what i´m talking about gimme a game with breakble enviroment and where i can break soomebody´s leg so it makes a cracking sound and the leg gets deformed that kind of gaming is grounbreaking

not some ****in furrball runnin around and doing stuff i want real llife elemnts in my games

:D

just kiddi´n

H3avyM3tal
05-03-08, 01:46 PM
Funniest thing I have heard in a long time. Hey, atleast they know what they wanna do.
More power to them.

Also, please try not to behave like wii little children. When they say **** casual gaming, it just means that they don't wanna do games with orcs, elves, space and ****. Let them do what they do, and let other companies make games with orcs and stuff. Everybody is a winner.

JigenD
05-03-08, 02:39 PM
GTA4 does not have anywhere close to the production value of a movie.

lol what? You haven't played the game have you?

evox
05-03-08, 03:03 PM
lol what? You haven't played the game have you?
He's special. Leave him alone, please.

JigenD
05-03-08, 03:11 PM
He's special. Leave him alone, please.

OK, I'm sorry. I didn't want to destabilize anyone.

Bah!
05-03-08, 05:56 PM
GTA is about as casual as you can get...why do they think it sells so much?

Simple combat, simple driving, short mission based gameplay so you can play for 30 mins or 10 hours, etc, etc.

For the record, i'm enjoying the hell out of the game (minus the ****ty graphics) but it's far from a "hardcore" game, unless you count *******s and foul language as hardcore.

JigenD
05-03-08, 07:55 PM
GTA is about as casual as you can get...why do they think it sells so much?

Simple combat, simple driving, short mission based gameplay so you can play for 30 mins or 10 hours, etc, etc.

For the record, i'm enjoying the hell out of the game (minus the ****ty graphics) but it's far from a "hardcore" game, unless you count *******s and foul language as hardcore.

No, GTA is nowhere near as casual as you can get TODAY. Wii Sports, "to play the game move your arm around"? Seriously, I know non-gamers that had a hard time even comprehending more than 2 non-directional buttons. GTA is popular yes, but I don't think popular = casual. Maybe call it mainstream, like Madden, Halo, and other stuff like that.

Heck, I hear people whining on forums about how GTA4's driving is 'too hard'.

As far as hardcore, I don't think there are very many, if any HARDCORE games these days (what we would have called hardcore in 1992). Wargames, flight simulators, and other deep games, which used to at least have a place in upcoming releases are all gone. So really GTA is more complicated than 97% of games being released.

I like the game a lot too, but it's not like I'd want to say "I'll never play any other game ever, this is the best game ever!". I disagree with the graphics though, it has some of the best graphics I've ever seen, but that's only because my sense of graphics takes in the whole scene. Never seen a game city that seemed anywhere near as real.