PDA

View Full Version : Another Manufacturer Says Xbox 360 Blu-ray Coming This Year

nekrosoft13
05-02-08, 04:26 PM
A report from Taiwanese news source Economic Daily News says that Pegatron Technology—a recently formed subsidiary of Asus that shouldn't be confused with the Decepticon leader—has received an order from Microsoft to manufacture a Blu-ray equipped model of the Xbox 360. According to the report, Pegatron says that it plans to begin production on the HD version of the Xbox 360 soon, with plans to ship within the next six months, aiming for a pre-holiday release.

It won't be the first time we've heard talk about Microsoft gloming on to the format, as the DigiTimes recently pegged manufacturer Lite-On as a Xbox 360 Blu-ray drive maker and Sony executives hinted that its competitor was feeling Blu to the Financial Times. MS CEO Steve Ballmer recently went on record about the move away from HD-DVD, saying the company will "support Blu-ray in ways that make sense."

Microsoft PR, of course, continues to beat the digital distribution drum and deny the existence of a BRD playing 360. We would of course be shocked to learn that something slipped from the airtight walls of Microsoft early, so we're sticking with unconfirmed rumor at this point.

The EDN report also mentions that a price cut for the Core (Arcade) version of the 360 is planned, but doesn't provide further details on timing or adjustments.

http://kotaku.com/386372/another-manufacturer-says-xbox-360-blu+ray-coming-this-year

EDIT: moved

crainger
05-02-08, 08:26 PM
nekrofail ::D:

ViN86
05-06-08, 02:15 PM
well it seems like there is a rumor going that someone has landed a contract. seems that the 360 will actually have a BD drive instead of an addon. this makes sense since they flatout denied investigating an addon BD drive (http://gizmodo.com/367429/xbox-blu+ray-drive-rumors-finally-fatally-smashed).

well, if this is true, then i hope they have an upgrade path for their millions of users that already have 360's. i would like this though. it'd be nice to expand the media capacity and add high def playback support to the 360. :thumbsup:

HiCZoK4
05-06-08, 02:56 PM
And what ? When games will start to requie getting bluray for 360, people will start to kill themselfs and world will end.
Cmon all that 50gb games is bull****!!! Its just crap on that discs. No needed hd cutscenes and trash to make game sit on outer ring

Ninja Prime
05-06-08, 03:09 PM
Rumor has it they are bringing out a new revision of the Xbox360 hardware with a full 65nm chipset, cheaper, and a new high end "Elite" version with the Blu-Ray player.

Ninja Prime
05-06-08, 03:10 PM
And what ? When games will start to requie getting bluray for 360, people will start to kill themselfs and world will end.
Cmon all that 50gb games is bull****!!! Its just crap on that discs. No needed hd cutscenes and trash to make game sit on outer ring

Whatever you're smoking, probably should lay off it for a while.

Bah!
05-06-08, 04:31 PM
If the 360 does come out with a BD version, do you think anyone will care?

Think about it for a minute. A ton of people already have Dvd 360s, which means no game will take advantage of BD, so the only reason to buy one is for HD movies. Add to that, these things won't be any cheaper than the PS3 at that point. Why would you buy one?

The only way BD makes sense on the 360 is from an external drive, otherwise there is no reason for current owners to upgrade. And if i'm a new customer looking to drop a bunch of money on BD, i'm sure as hell not putting it on a console that will probably die on me.

Lyme
05-07-08, 01:49 AM
MS has no compelling reason to go Blu-Ray (yet), sales have been pretty flat http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080505-blu-ray-hits-bumps-in-the-road-to-hd-market-dominance.html

nekrosoft13
05-07-08, 07:24 AM
If the 360 does come out with a BD version, do you think anyone will care?

People will care, If it is priced well, people will buy them just for BD playback. I was thinking about buying PS3, just to watch BD movies on it. Its still the cheapest decent Blu-ray player.

Whatever you're smoking, probably should lay off it for a while.

:lol2:

ViN86
05-07-08, 09:41 AM
People will care, If it is priced well, people will buy them just for BD playback. I was thinking about buying PS3, just to watch BD movies on it. Its still the cheapest decent Blu-ray player.

QFT. i too was considering a PS3 just for BD playback, but if 360 releases one then i will go with that since i already have over a dozen 360 games.

ClosetFanBoy
05-07-08, 08:38 PM
They would be crazy not to make a standalone player. I know it's a business and about money, so release a console with BR built in for 6 months, then give the rest of us our standalone. That would be the ONLY thing holding me back from getting a PS3, a standalone BR for 360.

Lyme
05-07-08, 10:31 PM
I'm quite sure that once the uptake of blu-ray gets to be anything significant, that MS will release a blu-ray player for the 360. Or they may possibly put one in the unit should the price become reasonable to do so. However, as sales show, the only Blu-Ray hardware selling is the PS3. The question there becomes, are they buying the PS3 for Blu-Ray or games, or both?

ViN86
05-07-08, 10:34 PM
I'm quite sure that once the uptake of blu-ray gets to be anything significant, that MS will release a blu-ray player for the 360. Or they may possibly put one in the unit should the price become reasonable to do so. However, as sales show, the only Blu-Ray hardware selling is the PS3. The question there becomes, are they buying the PS3 for Blu-Ray or games, or both?
based on the current library of games, i think it's for the BD player :p

gravioli
05-08-08, 01:49 AM
I am strongly considering buying a PS3 to use as a Blu-ray player. The games are only a bonus. I think MS is missing out on a lot of sales if they don't add Blu-ray. IMO, the digital movie downloads on Live marketplace are not the answer.