PDA

View Full Version : How to make a game on console by Valve ZOMG!

Pages : [1] 2

Noriega
05-03-08, 04:43 PM
This is fu** hilarious
:D

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2008/GDC2008_CrossPlatformDevelopment.pdf

|MaguS|
05-03-08, 04:54 PM
I hope most developers look at this with an open mind... because I would hate that they learn anything other then how not to develop your games from valve. While I love valves final products they are not that good during the development process... delays after delays with tons of bugs...

great games still though

ClosetFanBoy
05-03-08, 05:02 PM
Or taking great free mods then putting price tags on them. Nature of the business these days.

Huge fan of the Half Life universe tho. :D

I couldnt be troubled to read the whole thing, seems quite long. But I'm taking it had a unfavorable appeal towards consoles?

|MaguS|
05-03-08, 05:06 PM
I couldnt be troubled to read the whole thing, seems quite long. But I'm taking it had a unfavorable appeal towards consoles?
No actually it was pretty straight foward an honest. It basically was an explanation on the differences between developing a game for the PC vs the Console. Its a good read for people who have no understanding and just think consoles are "weaker pcs".

ClosetFanBoy
05-03-08, 05:09 PM
No actually it was pretty straight foward an honest. It basically was an explanation on the differences between developing a game for the PC vs the Console. Its a good read for people who have no understanding and just think consoles are "weaker pcs".

Ahhhh. He said it was fing hilarious. It seemed pretty normal, thought maybe the good stuff came later, so I was scratching my head.

|MaguS|
05-03-08, 05:29 PM
Ahhhh. He said it was fing hilarious. It seemed pretty normal, thought maybe the good stuff came later, so I was scratching my head.

No clue on what he found to be funny. I mean there are some funny pictures but its to explain the difference in architecture.

Noriega
05-03-08, 05:42 PM
irony check it on google

|MaguS|
05-03-08, 05:44 PM
irony check it on google

Hard to measure on a text based forum...

XDanger
05-03-08, 06:05 PM
Looks like they are saying memory is a major limiting factor and ps3's power is all about the cores, Then some mumbo jumbo.
And dev kits are pricey so dont sit on them.
I thought the no cake thing at the end was cute.

JigenD
05-03-08, 06:40 PM
It's really a article for developers serious about making console ports of PC games, and it is pretty good too. Very interesting. It's true what they say about running out of memory, on PC it just makes stuff slow, on console you get crashes, don't know why the consoles are designed like that, but that's the basics of it.

Also interesting is the standards they say MS and Sony enforce on many things, the most interesting is refreshing the screen, even during load times. I wish they did that on PC too, nothing worse than waiting for a 2 minute load time that makes you think the screen froze (not Valve, but a sin in general).

[edit : was just reading about crashes on consoles and I think I figured out the stuff about memory usage. Basically it sounds like running code to check to see if there's enough memory and doing stuff like using virtual memory (on say the HDD) would simply be inefficient on the consoles. You have to do it on PC because you're running a OS that's for more than just games.]

killahsin
05-03-08, 08:07 PM
I hope most developers look at this with an open mind... because I would hate that they learn anything other then how not to develop your games from valve. While I love valves final products they are not that good during the development process... delays after delays with tons of bugs...

great games still though

do what? Every single game/mod made by valve is critically acclaimed. there has yet to be one flop from them so far. I would suggest to you sir that more developers should be delaying their products to add polish, and to iterate their ideas. And the game industry wouldn't be in such a hoggwash of stagnant gameplay and theology it is now.

|MaguS|
05-03-08, 09:24 PM
do what? Every single game/mod made by valve is critically acclaimed. there has yet to be one flop from them so far. I would suggest to you sir that more developers should be delaying their products to add polish, and to iterate their ideas. And the game industry wouldn't be in such a hoggwash of stagnant gameplay and theology it is now.

Add polish? Most of their delayed games to add polish have horrible bugs. I never said their games were bad... I just said that I don't hope that other developers don't follow their process. I mean they talk about PS3 development but they have no experiance with the PS3. They handed off Orange Boxes development to EA because fatty didn't like the PS3's architecture.

mullet
05-03-08, 10:09 PM
If Carmack and "fatty" as you so eloquently stated hates the PS3 and that those 2 guys are pretty much smarter then everyone on the forum I tend to lean toward there feelings on the PS3. ;)

JigenD
05-03-08, 11:04 PM
If Carmack and "fatty" as you so eloquently stated hates the PS3 and that those 2 guys are pretty much smarter then everyone on the forum I tend to lean toward there feelings on the PS3. ;)

They don't hate the PS3, they hate coding for it. (nana2)

Logical
05-04-08, 08:31 AM
Apparently all developes hate coding for PS3.....and tbh Magus for you to be talking about DELAYS with Valve games you get a massive pfffffft from me. The reason most multi platform games are coming out 6-12 months later than they should be is because of the lame ARCHITECTURE of the PS3.

|MaguS|
05-04-08, 09:23 AM
Apparently all developes hate coding for PS3.....and tbh Magus for you to be talking about DELAYS with Valve games you get a massive pfffffft from me. The reason most multi platform games are coming out 6-12 months later than they should be is because of the lame ARCHITECTURE of the PS3.
So Episode ne coming out over half a year after its intended date on the PC was the PS3's fault? Yeah didn't think so. When I mentioned delays its in general. Valve seems to never be able to judge the release time of a game properly.

mullet, so I can't call him fatty but other people can post pictures of him with a KFC bucket?

I love how a simple truthful comment I make always gets attacked. I never said valve titles were bad, I actually love them. I was one of the few people defending steam and HL2's quality when they released...

mullet
05-04-08, 09:39 AM
Dude its gonna be ok. :)

killahsin
05-04-08, 11:02 AM
So Episode ne coming out over half a year after its intended date on the PC was the PS3's fault? Yeah didn't think so. When I mentioned delays its in general. Valve seems to never be able to judge the release time of a game properly.

mullet, so I can't call him fatty but other people can post pictures of him with a KFC bucket?

I love how a simple truthful comment I make always gets attacked. I never said valve titles were bad, I actually love them. I was one of the few people defending steam and HL2's quality when they released...

thats because they iterate gameplay design. So does blizzard and so does rockstar. And thats pretty much it.

CaptNKILL
05-04-08, 11:55 AM
Dude its gonna be ok. :)
:lol:

Logical
05-04-08, 12:20 PM
While I love valves final products they are not that good during the development process... delays after delays with tons of bugs...Apparently all developes hate coding for PS3.....and tbh Magus for you to be talking about DELAYS with Valve games you get a massive pfffffft from me. The reason most multi platform games are coming out 6-12 months later than they should be is because of the lame ARCHITECTURE of the PS3.

You missed my point...you knocked Valve for there delays in DEVELOPMENT stages

I simply pointed out that Most MULTIPLATFORM games are delayed due to the PS3.....they are a POS to develop for.

ClosetFanBoy
05-04-08, 12:30 PM
I thought the fatty remark was funny. The jelly doughnut thing got worn out. ;)

russ_3d
05-04-08, 12:35 PM
You have to do it on PC because you're running a OS that's for more than just games.]

no-one ever thought of an xbox type OS dual boot pc? wouldnt that work really well? like vista which comes dual boot vista-game or somesuch?

JigenD
05-04-08, 02:39 PM
no-one ever thought of an xbox type OS dual boot pc? wouldnt that work really well? like vista which comes dual boot vista-game or somesuch?

Some companies have done that for stuff like arcade games, Virtua Fighter 5, Hydro Thunder...

It really shows how much more you could get out of the hardware if it was just for games. It would be an interesting thing, I used to like how in DOS you could choose what you loaded, still technically DOS would load things you didn't need a game for.

I don't know how practical of an idea it would be, but it could be something like Windows next OS comes with another mode you reboot to get into or something.

ViN86
05-04-08, 02:51 PM
This is fu** hilarious
:D

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2008/GDC2008_CrossPlatformDevelopment.pdf
i dont see the humor. i actually learned a lot from it.

maybe you were referring to the necessary scaledown of textures for consoles compared to PC or just how PC is superior to consoles in terms of coding?

i did laugh at one slide though. the one about running out of memory on console vs pc with the picture of the snail for PC and the Hindenburg for the console :lol:

ViN86
05-04-08, 02:57 PM
the problem with that is the wide array of driver support you would need to pull it off. it looks great on paper, but in practice it would be a nightmare.