PDA

View Full Version : UPS

seeker
05-04-08, 12:29 AM
Since I found that the battery in my APC is dying, I have been checking online for either a new battery for it, or a replacement UPS. But I haven't found it a simple task to compare the brands available (APC, CyberPower and Tripp-Lite). There are probably others, but these are the ones that I at least recognize the name of.

My old APC has done the job fairly well, but beyond the cosmetics, I would like to have one that works with Linux. When I spoke with APC about this, some time ago, I was advised that I would need an UPS with a serial connection, rather than the USB connection that I had (the only serial port is in use by the modem). I don't know if this is true with other brands or not?

When trying to compare the different brand models, it is somewhat confusing because of the different manner in which they rate their systems. Currently, I'm only using about 300 watts of the 600 available on a continous basis, but I'm not certain about the peak power requirement.

I really don't know exactly what questions to ask, but if anyone can advise me on exactly what aspects to check, and how to compare the brands, I would appreciate it.

fugu_fish
05-06-08, 01:07 PM
Most UPSs I've worked on use commercially available 12V lead-acid gel cell batteries. You may be able to get replacement batteries on ebay pretty cheaply. I've rebuilt a couple that were slated for the dumpster.

XDanger
05-06-08, 03:06 PM
Is your electricity very dirty over there?

BashfulTux
05-06-08, 05:37 PM
My old APC has done the job fairly well, but beyond the cosmetics, I would like to have one that works with Linux. When I spoke with APC about this, some time ago, I was advised that I would need an UPS with a serial connection, rather than the USB connection that I had (the only serial port is in use by the modem). I don't know if this is true with other brands or not?

That is not true the apcupsd daemon works with USB you simply need to change the cable type and connection to tell it to use it in the config file then restart the daemon.

seeker
05-06-08, 06:14 PM
That is not true the apcupsd daemon works with USB you simply need to change the cable type and connection to tell it to use it in the config file then restart the daemon.
You lost me. I assume that the apcupsd daemon is something within Linux...yes? What do you mean "change the cable type"? There is only one type that I know of, and that is what came with my APC, which is USB already. What type of cable do you mean?

BashfulTux
05-07-08, 01:45 AM
You lost me. I assume that the apcupsd daemon is something within Linux...yes? What do you mean "change the cable type"? There is only one type that I know of, and that is what came with my APC, which is USB already. What type of cable do you mean?

Yes it is a Linux package you install then once you have done this if it did not ask during the install which to use then you need to edit the configuration file to tell it which one you want it to. On Debian for instance I had to change the section below to say usb for both of the values in the apcupsd.conf file.

#
# UPSCABLE [ simple | smart |
# 940-00(20B,20C,23A,24B,24C,24G,95A,95B,95C) |
# 940-15(24C) |
# ether, usb ]
# defines the type of cable that you have.
UPSCABLE 940-1524C
#
# Old types, still valid, are mapped to the new generic drives
# automatically
# UPSTYPE [ backups | sharebasic | netups |
# backupspro | smartvsups |
# newbackupspro | backupspropnp |
# smartups | matrixups | sharesmart ]
#
# *** NEW TYPES FOR GENERIC DRIVERS ***
# UPSTYPE [ dumb | apcsmart | net | usb | snmp | test]
# defines the type of UPS you have.
UPSTYPE smartups
#

seeker
05-07-08, 01:52 AM
Okay, I now understand about apcupsd, but the type of cable that I use is dictated by the model of APC that I have...true?

EDIT: Wait! Maybe it is starting to sink in. When you said change the cable type, you meant in the config, not physically...???

seeker
05-07-08, 02:09 AM
Is your electricity very dirty over there?
No, not usually. The problem that I had when I started this thread has changed. I had to reboot into x64 because of some other problems in MCE. Since then my wattage used has dropped about 150w and my battery time has increased by 10 minutes. It no longer fails the run check. So I won't need to replace anything too soon...at least not if I can configure it to work properly in Linux.

BashfulTux
05-07-08, 02:16 AM
EDIT: Wait! Maybe it is starting to sink in. When you said change the cable type, you meant in the config, not physically...???

Exactly you tell it what cable you have attached in the config if it does not find it on its own.

seeker
05-07-08, 02:21 AM
Exactly you tell it what cable you have attached in the config if it does not find it on its own.

It never did find it before, at least not in terms of data transfer, but then I never installed apcupsd either. You have given me more than APC's tech support did...thanks.

EDIT: BTW, you don't know what the cable type would be for the APC in my signature would you?

BashfulTux
05-07-08, 02:36 AM
It never did find it before, at least not in terms of data transfer, but then I never installed apcupsd either. You have given me more than APC's tech support did...thanks.

EDIT: BTW, you don't know what the cable type would be for the APC in my signature would you?

Your welcome a quick search says it connects by usb so use it for the settings it should work.

seeker
05-07-08, 02:45 AM
Okay, so if I understand, the only two lines that are uncovered (minus asterisks) would be "UPSCABLE 940-1524C" and "UPSTYPE usb"...correct? I'm assuming that the config that you gave is only a portion of the total config...if so, is there any other parts that I might have to deal with, or is that done automatically?

BashfulTux
05-07-08, 03:00 AM
Okay, so if I understand, the only two lines that are uncovered (minus asterisks) would be "UPSCABLE 940-1524C" and "UPSTYPE usb"...correct? I'm assuming that the config that you gave is only a portion of the total config...if so, is there any other parts that I might have to deal with, or is that done automatically?

I went with both of them as usb so yes those are the two settings the other one I use to change was the one below telling it the device node to the usb but that has not been required for a long while.

#
#DEVICE <string> /dev/<serial port>
# name of your UPS device
#
# Here a table of the possible devices related with the UPS drivers.
#
# NOTE!!! for USB devices, please use a form indicated below
# including the [0-15] as written!
#
# Driver Device Description
# dumb /dev/tty** Serial character device
# apcsmart /dev/tty** Serial character device
# usb /dev/usb/hid/hiddev[0-15] If you follow our naming scheme
# usb /dev/usb/hiddev[0-15] On some systems
# net hostname:port Network link to a master apcupsd
# through NIS
# snmp hostname:port:vendor:community
# SNMP Network link to an SNMP-enabled
# UPS device. Vendor is the MIB used by
# the UPS device: can be "APC" or "RFC"
# where APC is the powernet MIB and RFC
# is the IETF's rfc1628 UPS-MIB.
# Port is usually 161.
DEVICE /dev/usb/hiddev[0-15]
#

seeker
05-07-08, 03:57 AM
It looks simple enough that I should be able to handle it, but it will be a while before I can try, because I had a couple of harddrive failures, including the one with the Linux partition, so I will have to start from scratch.