PDA

View Full Version : The disk check that wont go away..

jeffmd
05-04-08, 04:24 PM
My main HD is partitioned into 2 drives, a large one for data and a smaller one for the OS. I also have a 2nd HD which houses my XP install.

Last night I used paragons HD manager 2008 to enlarge the OS partition because after SP1, vista was pretty close to the capacity of the partition. Previous to using it, I had used a defrag program to defrag and consolidate everything, and at the end I had 76 gigs free at the end of the drive. Unfortunately it seems that a simple operation turned into a long one as for some reason it appears Paragon needed to shift the entire large partition..somewhere.. in order to enlarge the smaller one.

Once finished and I verified that the large partition data was intact and accessible, I reinstalled vista(64bit) onto the enlarged partition. after the first reboot however, vista pops up a message that drive E, the large partition, needs to be checked for consistency. Right after this how ever it says the check has been canceled and boots normaly. Also my winXP has also popped up with the error now and also fails to scan it automatically.

I told vista to manualy scan all the drives on the next boot and again it showed the text it was about to scan it for consistency, but canceled it...all 3 of them. I had WinXP scan it and it did but found no errors. I also had paragon do a file integrity check and it also came up clean. My main issue now is why is vista canceling the disk checks? also does anyone know a program that has a pretty throughal check of the hd?

grey_1
05-04-08, 04:39 PM
Have you tried Vistas repair option? It gives 0 dialogue to inform you of what's going on, but it's worked for me every time.

jeffmd
05-04-08, 04:42 PM
because vista dosnt need to be repaired. everything works fine, atleast so far. It just keeps saying it wants to check the one drive every time I boot up.

crainger
05-04-08, 05:13 PM
Let it do it once. Disk check will want to run until it has completed successfully usually.

Just becuase it works fine doesn't mean there isn't an underlying issue. A dying hard drive is something you can usually detect weeks if not months in advance.

jeffmd
05-04-08, 06:23 PM
I WANT it to do it! but it cancels itself with no reason as to why it cancels itself. it cancels like immiedietly after it starts.

crainger
05-04-08, 07:23 PM
LOL Sorry. ::o:

Maybe try running the Vista repair anyway.

grey_1
05-04-08, 07:36 PM
I WANT it to do it! but it cancels itself with no reason as to why it cancels itself. it cancels like immiedietly after it starts.
Which is why I suggested the repair option.

jeffmd
05-04-08, 08:29 PM
keep in mind the drive letter that is being complained about it not my vista drive letter. its the drive letter where my other stuff, movies, games, ect is stored. Unless vista's repair program includes a full check disk for all the other drives, wont help if I repair the vista drive.

nekrosoft13
05-04-08, 08:46 PM
have you tried running check disk (Error-Checking) from windows drive properties?

your ntfs file structure is probably corrupted that why it keeps bothering you.

best way to fix it, is move all files off the drive to another location, format the drive, and move everything back

grey_1
05-04-08, 09:31 PM
keep in mind the drive letter that is being complained about it not my vista drive letter. its the drive letter where my other stuff, movies, games, ect is stored. Unless vista's repair program includes a full check disk for all the other drives, wont help if I repair the vista drive.
Ah, sorry, I thought you meant the Vista partition.

jeffmd
05-04-08, 11:26 PM
I was pretty close to formating it (would have had to reinstall a ton of stuff from dvd's) but I managed to get it to scan. Either by telling it to do a full sector scan, or as the pc was rebooting I yanked the usb keyboard out of the usb -> ps2 connector and put it into a usb slot. the ps2 connection was very flimsy and I was beggining to wonder if it wasnt connecting on all wires and sending a key press signal, maybe a type of key that wouldn't show up in notpad, but would trigger an "any key" trigger.

Of course vista sucking as it does, I was forced to fix this now because SP1 was not installing due to a sort of "general" error, one of which inluded errors on a HD. Of course it still didn't install after fixing the error, so instead of vista -> all hardware drivers -> sp1, im reinstalling vista -> mobo drivers -> sp1.

jeffmd
05-05-08, 01:18 AM
64bit is a bust. ^^ The Sp1 installed but the video drivers I installed after (175.12 or whichever) didnt want to hold. I couldnt finish the performance tester without blacking out at the media file test, and WoW quickly corrupted into a black screen. lets hope the 32bit dosnt fail me tommarow.