PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Hash

seeker
05-04-08, 07:56 PM
A problem has arisen lately, where that my PC has become very sluggish. I have read alot of other threads about this kind of a problem, but none have provided me with a solution, though they did give me some leads...which haven't panned out.

The problem remained though I have swapped out motherboards and ram. I have run HD Tune, which gives the HDs a clean bill of health, but the sluggishness was present both on my PATA and SATA drives, which both contained OSs.

The voltages and temps of components are normal, and I ran CHKDSK which found no problems, but it took 6 hours for it to finish. This fact seems to indicate the problem is in the hardware somewhere, because it ran before entering the OS. I also ran Memtest-86 and it found no squawks. All connections are tight and secure. Hot CPU Tester found no problems, however it did freezeup after running a couple of hours, but that is not necessarily due to the CPU, because with the problem that I described, freezeups have not been uncommon.

I feel as though I'm running in circles and going nowhere...what am I forgetting?

Bearclaw
05-04-08, 08:30 PM
Did you do a clean install of the O/S after you swapped out the parts? You might want to try that.

seeker
05-04-08, 08:37 PM
No I didn't. If my tests indicated that the problem was in the OS, I would do so, but it takes me so much time to do a clean install that this is the last thing that I want to do, unless something indicates that it is necessary.

AthlonXP1800
05-04-08, 09:13 PM
Try disconnect PATA drive and boot OS on SATA to see if it stop being very sluggish.

crainger
05-04-08, 09:15 PM
chkdsk taking 6 hours to run on a 250 and 500gb HDD is not surprising. I'm inclined to agree with Bearclaw, try a new OS reload. IF only to rule out software altogether.

Bearclaw
05-04-08, 09:23 PM
Ya, as far as stability goes, definitely do the re-installation of the O/S. It doesn't take that long... and you could even play GTA4 while waiting for it to finish.

seeker
05-05-08, 02:24 AM
Try disconnect PATA drive and boot OS on SATA to see if it stop being very sluggish.
I didn't think that this would help, but it did. I now have my x64 SATA, along with the PATA drives connected, and x64 is working normally. Obviously the problem is either with MCE or the drive that it is on. I suppose that the next step would be to reinstall the OS, but I'm still not convinced that is the problem. I didn't mention it before, but when running HD Tune, though it showed a normal transfer curve, it was spiking downward sharply at several points.

As far as the notion that doing a clean install of MCE is a small thing, nothing could be further from the truth. By the time that I reinstalled the OS, along with all of the updates, and then reinstalled all of the apps, it would take me a couple of weeks. It is the fact that I have alot more apps installed than a lot of people, and that I'm so slow.

Since x64 is my preferred OS, I'm happy to postpone dealing with this for now.

seeker
05-05-08, 02:26 AM
chkdsk taking 6 hours to run on a 250 and 500gb HDD is not surprising. I'm inclined to agree with Bearclaw, try a new OS reload. IF only to rule out software altogether.
6 hours might be normal, if it was running the entire 500GBs, but MCE only occupies 50 GBs and it should not take that long to check it.

crainger
05-05-08, 02:49 AM
It will if it's fixing error after error.

xmichaeluk
05-05-08, 02:49 AM
It checks every sector on the hard drive, even the ones with no data on them. This means that chkdsk goes through the entire drive and 6 hours is absolutely normal for that size of a drive.

seeker
05-05-08, 02:56 AM
It will if it's fixing error after error.
That is true, but it never reported finding any errors. When I have run into that in the past, it did do so.

seeker
05-05-08, 02:58 AM
It checks every sector on the hard drive, even the ones with no data on them. This means that chkdsk goes through the entire drive and 6 hours is absolutely normal for that size of a drive.
Incorrect. Chkdsk only checks the volume that you tell it to. Yes, it does check the freespace on that volume, but neither free or used space on the rest of the drive.

crainger
05-05-08, 03:11 AM
That is true, but it never reported finding any errors. When I have run into that in the past, it did do so.

Might be an idea to try those HDDs on another PC, unlikely that they are both faulty, but you can at least rule that out. In the meantime do try a OS reload.

xmichaeluk
05-05-08, 03:17 AM
Incorrect. Chkdsk only checks the volume that you tell it to. Yes, it does check the freespace on that volume, but neither free or used space on the rest of the drive.

Well, that's what I pretty much meant :) But what if you have a 500GB disk and only one partition on it? There is only one volume, hence chkdsk scans the whole drive.

seeker
05-05-08, 01:11 PM
Might be an idea to try those HDDs on another PC, unlikely that they are both faulty, but you can at least rule that out. In the meantime do try a OS reload.
That would be a good idea...if I had another PC available, but I don't. Instead of a clean install, I may reinstall using a TI image that I have. It is old enough to not have had any problems when made, but I will still be losing quite a few programs installed later.

Sometimes I feel that making a computer work as it should, has less to do with reason and logic, than being like stirring a witch's brew with a wand.

seeker
05-05-08, 01:16 PM
Well, that's what I pretty much meant :) But what if you have a 500GB disk and only one partition on it? There is only one volume, hence chkdsk scans the whole drive.
About the only time that might be true is if one has a drive that is used solely for media storage, and then chkdsk would be of limited value in the first place. I suppose that it would be able to repair the file system structure, but there are better and quicker means to accomplish that.