PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened

CaptNKILL
05-05-08, 03:39 AM
I just started playing this game and it seems like a decent adventure\detective game, but one thing is driving me insane...

Am I completely retarded or do the answers to the little "quiz" questions make no sense and seem pulled out of thin air?

I just can't understand the logic behind a game mechanic like this. Sherlock Holmes asks a question that either has dozens of possible answers or no logical answers based on the information you have, and you are presented with an empty text box to type in. You can't even make him repeat the question!

The worst part is, this is a game stopping situation. You cannot progress if you don't type in a correct answer.

Minor spoilers (highlight below)... you'll probably need to look these up anyway if you play the game, so it won't really hurt the game much.

For example, the first question asks where someone would come from. And it is basically THAT vague. Words like Worph, Docks, Boat etc are accepted... how the hell are we supposed to know he's referring to a form of transportation and not a place?

The second question is this, word for word:
What do an Edelwiess and rectangle containing an addition symbol signify to you?

The answer is SWITZERLAND! I can't possibly be the only person who knows nothing about Switzerland, or an Edelwiess (which is apparently a flower)... and up to this point in the game Switzerland has never once been mentioned. On top of all of this, you have to go dig through the conversation logs to reread the question if you didn't understand it.

Upon doing some wiki searching it turns out the Edelwiess is the national flower of Switzerland, and the Red Cross (plus sign in a box) was part of the Geneva Conventions, which were started in Geneva, which is in Switzerland. All of this may have been common knowledge in history class at some point, but who would expect someone to know this to play a computer game?

I think the first "level" of this game (the one from the demo... only 10-15 minutes of real gameplay if you don't get stuck) is terrible, and these quiz questions are absurd, but the rest of the game doesn't seem bad at all. I'm going to keep playing through it because the writing seems good and the Cthulhu mythos really intrigues me but any immersion has already been completely lost because a walkthrough was necessary within 5 minutes of starting the game and apparently you have to know little bits of information about random historical events and places to progress through levels. What were they thinking? :p

nutcrackr
05-05-08, 05:13 AM
I'm intrigued, what questions, can you give some examples?

npras42
05-05-08, 07:33 AM
The Swiss flag is a white cross in a red square. I think thats what was meant in the second clue. The Red Cross symbol is a reverse of this and is based in Switzerland so I guess that is also correct...

I played this game a few months back and literally lasted about 20 minutes then gave up.

SH64
05-05-08, 05:53 PM
Bah i finished the Awakened long time ago .. now i'm busy with the new "Sherlock Holmes Versus Arsene Lupin" & its already getting on my nerves with some of the puzzles :mad:

oh & the good news is the question asking has been fixed in the new game. if you didnt know there answer it will just cancel's the conversation.

CaptNKILL
05-05-08, 06:07 PM
I'm intrigued, what questions, can you give some examples?
?

Did you see the part where I said "highlight below". :p

nutcrackr
05-06-08, 03:15 AM
?

Did you see the part where I said "highlight below". :p
:p nope :o

CaptNKILL
05-06-08, 03:18 AM
:p nope :o
:POKE:

:D