PDA

View Full Version : svchost.exe x's 16 ???

tjohn
05-05-08, 07:45 PM
Why do I have 16 svchost's running :(

What is the purpose of svchost.exe?

j0j081
05-05-08, 07:52 PM
I think it is the process which services run under. If you right click on it you can pick go to services and then see the exact things they are doing.

npras42
05-05-08, 08:41 PM
I think as a j0j081 said its a service loader/dll loader and there are multiple instances at any one time because they all load different stuff. Its totally normal...

tjohn
05-05-08, 08:45 PM
Yes, I see. Thanks.

XxDeadlyxX
05-06-08, 04:18 AM
12 here.

Q
05-06-08, 06:26 AM
Download and run Process Explorer if you are under XP. Under Vista you can right click the process and "go to" the service that is running it. You can even go to the file itself. Svchost does run many services, so you should see quite a few instances. However, some malware DOES disguise itself by that name as well, so be sure to check it all out.

tjohn
05-06-08, 07:58 AM
Download and run Process Explorer if you are under XP. Under Vista you can right click the process and "go to" the service that is running it. You can even go to the file itself. Svchost does run many services, so you should see quite a few instances. However, some malware DOES disguise itself by that name as well, so be sure to check it all out.

Thanks for the info :)

grey_1
05-06-08, 09:17 AM
Another thanks Q, I'll do this tonight.