PDA

View Full Version : Harddrive Enclosures

seeker
05-05-08, 07:54 PM
I've decided to purchase a new enclosure so that I might be able to use a couple of old harddrives in the closet, but I've never even seen one, except in ad photos. Some things seem simple enough to decide about, but not all. I know that I want a combo SATA/IDE unit, but when it comes to the interface I'm not certain. It seems that the choices are eSATA, USB and firewire. I don't think that the latter would be of any advantage, but I'm not sure about the first two. Some units come with drivers and some are just plug and play. I think that the driver is only important with some OSs with USB, but I have no idea how this effects eSATA. It seems that USB would be the simplest choice, since I have no eSATA I/O without adding a card...but is it the best?

Most enclosures have passive cooling, but a few have fans, or the option to add them. How important would this be? It seems that it would be, because I have fans on my internal harddrives, but then they are exposed to other heat sources.

There are some other questions that I haven't decided about, but these seem to be the most important. If someone can fill me in on these, or recommend a particular enclosure, I would appreciate it.

AthlonXP1800
05-05-08, 09:40 PM
I got cheap 5.25 enclosure that house IDE DVD-RW drive or a 3.5 inch hard drive but it do not have SATA interface. I think it very difficult to find a combo 3.5 inch or 5.25 inch IDE/SATA enclosure that I been looked everywhere for 2 years now. My enclosure have a fan, ICY Box encloures (http://www.raidsonic.de/en/pages/products/external_cases_gal.php?search=35inch) did not have fans as it casing cool more effective that it do not need a fan.

seeker
05-05-08, 09:54 PM
Hmm, I hadn't thought about putting a DVD drive in an enclosure, but that is a good idea. If I did that, I would want an enclosure that holds two drives instead of one. It really isn't difficult to find a combo drive, just Google "SATA/IDE HARDDRIVE ENCLOSURE" and you will find a few. Would any harddrive enclosure work the same with a DVD as with a harddrive?

I particularly want a combo unit for flexibility.