PDA

View Full Version : Seagate Harddrives

Pages : [1] 2 3

seeker
05-06-08, 04:47 PM
I came across a pretty good offer on Seagate 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB harddrives, but after reading some reviews I noticed that there was a split in opinions regarding their noise level. This has me wondering if the noise that some perceive is a sign of some kind of manufacturing defect that effects some drives and not others?

Also, this drive has less buffer than the 7200.11 (32MB vs 16MB). From past experience with Maxtor, I know that this would give a noticeable improvement in performance, but that model has the same complaints about noise, so I'm trying to make a decision on which to purchase...???

K007
05-06-08, 05:06 PM
I hardly hear anything from my HDD's. All of which are Seagates...i love em. They are affordable and top quality in performance as well.

CaptNKILL
05-06-08, 05:07 PM
I have 2 7200.10 320gb drives and they are good for me. I don't notice the noise in my system.

I guess it depends on the price. How much cheaper are they than the 7200.11?

seeker
05-06-08, 05:19 PM
I have 2 7200.10 320gb drives and they are good for me. I don't notice the noise in my system.

I guess it depends on the price. How much cheaper are they than the 7200.11?
I haven't shopped prices too much, but the 7200.10s are $69.99. Since they are bulk, I assume that they are OEM, but still have the 5 year warranty. I did a very fast Google, and saw the cheapest price at the top of the page for the 7200.11 was about $90.00, but I didn't dig deep enough to know if that was OEM, refurbished or ? However, the same vender had the 7200.10s for a dollar less than I was first looking at, so it may not be such a great deal after all.

CaptNKILL
05-06-08, 05:22 PM
Eh, unless you're looking at buying like 10 drives for a server where it'd save you $200 to go with the cheaper drives, its not really worth it IMO.

Just go with the newer and faster 7200.11.

seeker
05-06-08, 05:31 PM
Eh, unless you're looking at buying like 10 drives for a server where it'd save you $200 to go with the cheaper drives, its not really worth it IMO.

Just go with the newer and faster 7200.11.
I think that you may be right about buying the newer model, but that still doesn't answer my original question. I'm wondering if the people that do complain about the noise are just more noise sensitive and picky, or if there is a high likelyhood that I might get some of the noisy drives...maybe made on Monday?

Bman212121
05-06-08, 05:33 PM
I came across a pretty good offer on Seagate 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB harddrives, but after reading some reviews I noticed that there was a split in opinions regarding their noise level. This has me wondering if the noise that some perceive is a sign of some kind of manufacturing defect that effects some drives and not others?

Also, this drive has less buffer than the 7200.11 (32MB vs 16MB). From past experience with Maxtor, I know that this would give a noticeable improvement in performance, but that model has the same complaints about noise, so I'm trying to make a decision on which to purchase...???

I'm thinking it might be the difference between ones made in Taiwan and ones made in either China or Singapore. I did some testing the other day and apparently my 2 500GB 7200.10's that I have are slower than either the 320GB or the 1TB drives I have. My 500GB are Taiwan made and they are also noticeably noiser than either the 320GB or 1TB drives. I would probably just go for the 7200.11, or maybe set up to the 750GB model. I know my 7200.10 750GB drive is nice and quiet but it's in an enclosure so I'm not sure about its speed.

EDIT: You posted while I was posting this. I'll also add that my 320GB drives where made in China and have been really good to me, the 1TB I just recieved are from Singapore and are blazing fast.

seeker
05-06-08, 05:40 PM
Bman212121,

Unfortunately, I do not believe there is any way to be able to know the point of origin when buying online. It is times like this that I miss having a local CompUSA store.

nV`andrew
05-06-08, 07:18 PM
I do not hear either of my seagate drives.

seeker
05-06-08, 07:30 PM
I do not hear either of my seagate drives.
Just following up Bman212121's hunch, I don't suppose that you ever paid any attention to where they were made?

technoid
05-06-08, 07:35 PM
The Seagate drive I used was great but in my lastest build I used one of the new Western Digital 500 GB AAKS drives and I love it. It's so quiet I can't hear it and runs very cool.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

Absolution
05-06-08, 07:38 PM
Of the hard drives I've owned

Noiselevel - from lowest to highest
Samsung <= Hitache < Seagate < Maxtor < WD

The 7200.11 drives aren't as loud as the 7200.10 drives.

seeker
05-06-08, 07:40 PM
technoid,

Buying any kind of hardware is sometimes like playing craps, but everytime that I have bought a WDC drive, I have rolled snake eyes. Therefore, I'm going to place my bet elsewhere.

seeker
05-06-08, 07:50 PM
Of the hard drives I've owned

Noiselevel - from lowest to highest
Samsung <= Hitache < Seagate < Maxtor < WD

The 7200.11 drives aren't as loud as the 7200.10 drives.
I'm curious as to the nature of the noise that you have experienced? My Maxtors are silent until they are under a load, and then they make a soft crackling sound. This doesn't really bother me, but if the sound was continous it would. What have you noticed?

Absolution
05-06-08, 08:04 PM
I'm curious as to the nature of the noise that you have experienced? My Maxtors are silent until they are under a load, and then they make a soft crackling sound. This doesn't really bother me, but if the sound was continous it would. What have you noticed?
oh, my maxtor drives were virtually silent, just when they went under load, you could tell they were just ever so slightly louder than the seagate under load, but yet still virtually silent

WD is the only loud drive i've ever owned

seeker
05-06-08, 09:22 PM
I found a bit better deal at ZZF:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10005939&prodlist=celebros

I was just about to click the order button when I thought about where I would put them. When my new MB arrives, I will have a couple of extra SATA slots, but only enough room in the drive bays for 1, instead of 2 HDs, as I had planned. Meaning that I will have to either move my Maxtor SATAs or one of my PATAs to an external enclosure. If I did this, would it matter which? To be able to use both sets of SATA drives in raid configurations, I would need to keep them internal...without paying alot for a dual raid enclosure, so I guess that leaves moving a PATA...Is there any reason that this would be a bad idea?

seeker
05-06-08, 09:28 PM
Absolution,

WD is the only loud drive i've ever owned

I never had a noise problem with WDCs (except one that started making loud clicking noises right after I installed it, and only a couple of days before it died). Premature death is the reason that I now avoid them. I have had about half a dozen of them in the last 8 years, and none of them lasted.

H4yd3n
05-06-08, 10:51 PM
I love my 500GB seagate, quiet, cool, and fast. Rarely ever does it make noise, and when it does, I can barely hear it over my Zalman 9700.

einstein_314
05-07-08, 01:06 AM
I also love my seagate drives. Currently have 5 320GB 7200.10 ones (in various computers) and a new 500GB 7200.11. Can't hear any of them unless they're seeking. And even then it's just a quiet crackle.

nekrosoft13
05-07-08, 07:29 AM

general rule

if made in China, better to avoid them
if made in Singapore, should be a good drive

seeker
05-07-08, 08:00 AM
general rule

if made in China, better to avoid them
if made in Singapore, should be a good drive
The same question still applies...how does one know where anything that they buy online comes from until after it is shipped to them? I'm not even certain that it would be apparent then. Like with an AMD processor, you had to know their code to know.

nekrosoft13
05-07-08, 08:12 AM
hdd i buy locally, i go to tigerdirect, microcenter, or fry (when they good sale) and look at the point of origin.

seeker
05-07-08, 08:26 AM
hdd i buy locally, i go to tigerdirect, microcenter, or fry (when they good sale) and look at the point of origin.

That is good, but there is nothing like that here. The closest that I can come to buying locally is with BestBuy, PC Club or a couple of different office supply stores. Of course, the small computer stores often do not even carry an inventory, they just buy from a distributor. I guess that you just have to order and hope for the best.

nekrosoft13
05-07-08, 08:58 AM
don't get me wrong, not all Seagates made in China are bad, just compared to the ones made in Singapore. Chinesse made drives are of lower quality.

seeker
05-07-08, 12:21 PM
They are now on order. I hope that I like them as much as most everyone here.

nekrosoft13,

I guess this is as good of a time and place to ask as any...what is it about 175.63 that you like so much?