PDA

View Full Version : Sli question

firehawk
05-06-08, 10:12 PM
so, i am about to stick another 8800 gtx into my system because i cant stand 14 fps in crysis on very high anymore - lol

here is my question about it though...

i currently have a normal bfg 8800 gtx. well, it seems they no longer make it in the original flavor and you can only get it in the OC variety.

if i slap i OC in there with my old normal 8800 wil sli clock down the oc version to match speeds or will i have issues?

Redeemed
05-06-08, 10:18 PM
so, i am about to stick another 8800 gtx into my system because i cant stand 14 fps in crysis on very high anymore - lol

i currently have a normal bfg 8800 gtx. well, it seems they no longer make it in the original flavor and you can only get it in the OC variety.

if i slap i OC in there with my old normal 8800 wil sli clock down the oc version to match speeds or will i have issues?

The clock speeds on the OC'd GTX will be reverted to stock speeds to match your other GTX.

An other idea, you could go with a GTX from a different manufacturer. No longer does the card have to be of the same manufacturer. I.E. you could get an eVGA 8800GTX that was the vanilla GTX (non-oc'd). Or MSI, ASUS, XFX, etc... what ever other brand you prefer. ;)

rage10
05-06-08, 11:00 PM
The clock speeds on the OC'd GTX will be reverted to stock speeds to match your other GTX.

An other idea, you could go with a GTX from a different manufacturer. No longer does the card have to be of the same manufacturer. I.E. you could get an eVGA 8800GTX that was the vanilla GTX (non-oc'd). Or MSI, ASUS, XFX, etc... what ever other brand you prefer. ;)
your some what wrong here. the card in the bottom pci-e 16 slot maches the clocks of the card in the top slot. if the oc'ed card is there the slower card will over clock itself to match it, if the slower card is there the faster card will under clock itself to match it. I don't know this from personal experience only from reading others posts, so I'm not 100% sure.
Cheers,
rage10

Zapablast05
05-06-08, 11:48 PM

Jeez, what resolution do you play at? I get 20Fps on very high on SLI'd 9600GT's.

firehawk
05-07-08, 12:36 AM
Jeez, what resolution do you play at? I get 20Fps on very high on SLI'd 9600GT's.

lol - well i should have said 14 - 25 fps

i play at 1680x1050, very high full blur effects with 2x AA and 16x AF......i don't want to back those off, i am not ashamed to admit it. i am a graphics wh#$e

and thank you all for the replies. i guess i will just try it and see.

Redeemed
05-07-08, 02:36 AM
lol - well i should have said 14 - 25 fps

i play at 1680x1050, very high full blur effects with 2x AA and 16x AF......i don't want to back those off, i am not ashamed to admit it. i am a graphics wh#$e

and thank you all for the replies. i guess i will just try it and see.
Well, I guess no body here has ever done what you're asking. I'm pretty positive about what I said in my first post... yes that does mean I disagree with rage. Both cards should run at stock speeds in SLi. When you OC one card though, it will automatically OC both cards.

Now with that said... I *have* been wrong before. ;)

Will you get BSODs left and right, crazy instability, and horrible framerates as a result? Not in the least bit. The worst that could happen is you only see a 20% performance boost, but system stability and integrity should remain as it is now. Unless you get a defective part or encounter conflicting software- both of which I'd say are rather rare instances. ;)

rage10
05-07-08, 08:52 PM
Well, I guess no body here has ever done what you're asking. I'm pretty positive about what I said in my first post... yes that does mean I disagree with rage. Both cards should run at stock speeds in SLi.

I think that they will run at the stock speed for the card in the top slot. we will have to wait and so though.
@firehawk, if you dont mind, test the set up with the cards set up both ways and settle this argument. When you OC one card though, it will automatically OC both cards.

Now with that said... I *have* been wrong before. ;)thats correct.

jcrox
05-07-08, 09:50 PM
Yes, please check the speeds with OC'd card in the top slot and then in the bottom. I know for a fact that with the NF4 motherboards placing the OC'd card in the top slot automatically OC'd the stock card.... wondering if this has changed

rage10
05-07-08, 10:59 PM
Yes, please check the speeds with OC'd card in the top slot and then in the bottom. I know for a fact that with the NF4 motherboards placing the OC'd card in the top slot automatically OC'd the stock card.... wondering if this has changed
I dont think so. I recall that some one said this hasn't changed but I don't remember where the thred is.:(

john19055
05-09-08, 12:35 PM
I would see how well your slower card overclocks and if it can overclock to the faster card with no problems ,then I would flash the slower card to the faster card speeds and problem solved.

firehawk
05-09-08, 07:32 PM
card ordered and on the way to my grubby little mitts.

i dont think i will have a prob even if the slow card gets clocked up. i mean the OC version is the same card, just with a warranty attached to it...right or wrong?

i'll post what happens when i get it all in the box.