PDA

View Full Version : I got a problem with games being too dark in XP.

digitalwanderer
05-05-03, 10:50 AM
Ok, I went and threw XP back on Bubbles since "Enclave" was hanging for me randomly under 98se. Everything is just spiffy, (well, as spiffy as me and XP get I reckon :rolleyes: ), 'cept I can't control the brightness/gamma levels in games. NOTHING seems to help it and it's driving me nuts!

I tried a couple of different driver sets; 43.51, 42.86, and 30.50 (I think, it was a 3x.xx something) and had the same thing. I tried adjusting the brightness thru the control panel & rivatuner (both low-level & driver level) and keep getting the same thing: the brightness just stays dark as hell no matter what I do.

I'm not talking a little dark, I'm talking midnight lost in a very deep cave dark. :(

Any help/advice/suggestions would be appreciated. It could very easily be something I screwed up while installing XP. (XP, SP1, some mild tweaking)

It was urgent last night, but I got Bloodrayne this morning and I've pretty much forgotten about it since. (Bloodrayne is excellent/fun/kewl and it runs like a dream on Bubbles 98se side. :) )

saturnotaku
05-05-03, 10:54 AM
I know this is gonna sound really dumb, but is there a brightness/gamma control option within Enclave itself? Or are you having problems with dark games all the way around?

It's weird because I was having the exact opposite problem on my GF FX. My desktop and games were all too bright. But some quick adjustments via the driver control panel were all I needed to get things perfect for my eyes.

deejaya
05-05-03, 11:36 AM
I couldn't make out from your post if you had tried this DW, did you say you have turned the gamma up and it makes no difference? :confused: There must be something very wrong if turning up the gamma doesn't affect games, it should even affect your desktop as you turn it up.

I have a couple of preset settings saved, so I can switch from normal for browsing the web etc, to high gamma/DV for playing games.

digitalwanderer
05-05-03, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the replies! :)

Yes, Enclave has an ingame brightness control and I have tried it. When I try and adjust it absolutely NOTHING happens. (In 98se when I do it the brightness adjustment happens as I slide it)

Yes, I've tried adjusting the color settings thru nView to very little avail. The only thing I haven't tried that I should is pumping up the sh!t out of the desktop gamma 'til it glows so bad it hurts me eyes, THEN try and run the game.

I just don't like the idea of having to change settings to play a game, it reminds me too much of me Rage128 days. ;)

deejaya
05-05-03, 01:23 PM
Yeah it is a pain, handy that you can put the Media icon on the task tray though and access the presets through that. Even if I have to alt-tab cos I forgot and I'm running around in the darkness. :)

digitalwanderer
05-05-03, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by deejaya
Yeah it is a pain, handy that you can put the Media icon on the task tray though and access the presets through that. Even if I have to alt-tab cos I forgot and I'm running around in the darkness. :)

Doh! I forgot about that. In XP I can alt-tab....

I'll give it a whirl, thank you. :)