PDA

View Full Version : 360: Little single ring scratch in the inner ring of disc...hmmm

HiCZoK4
05-07-08, 03:50 AM
I noticed on 2 discs the same inner ring. Its almost invisible but if I look close enough then I can see it.

It looks like out of box ,becouse If I look at the Disc holder inside the box (talking about green 360 boxes) there is aslo plastic ring in the inner are of disc... Hmmmmmmm....

Disscuss (lee)
btw. Horizontal or Vertical ?:headexplode: :D

JigenD
05-07-08, 12:25 PM
I think those rings are there on purpose on some disks. Maybe it's even part of the security, like when one section of the disk ends and another starts, possibly in reverse direction (Xbox 1 games reversed the direction of the data).

It worries me too though, because my 360 has been making an odd noise when the disc spins down. I have a backup 360, but I don't have backup copies of all my games :p

I keep my horizontal, same with my PS3, I think the 360's noisyness carries more when it's vertical, plus I have a dangerous cat.

HiCZoK4
05-07-08, 01:37 PM
hmmm I was also thinking ... Is horisontal and verticall and difference in read speed or fps(!) ?

JigenD
05-07-08, 01:49 PM
hmmm I was also thinking ... Is horisontal and verticall and difference in read speed or fps(!) ?

Well technically I guess any little thing might affect the read speed of the disc, and in turn of course that COULD hurt or help the FPS if the game streams a lot and it can't get the data in time, but the FPS result should be minimal.

Personally I'd think horizontal would be more balanced, but it moves in a circle, and as long as the disc isn't heavier on one side...

Basically I wouldn't worry about it unless you get errors or your discs start looking worse or something. Go vertical if you're sure the thing won't topple and you have little space, go horizontal if the space doesn't matter.

|MaguS|
05-07-08, 01:51 PM
When I had my X360 I kept it vertical with no issues but that was after the first replacement...

HiCZoK4
05-07-08, 02:17 PM
Well technically I guess any little thing might affect the read speed of the disc, and in turn of course that COULD hurt or help the FPS if the game streams a lot and it can't get the data in time, but the FPS result should be minimal.

Personally I'd think horizontal would be more balanced, but it moves in a circle, and as long as the disc isn't heavier on one side...

Basically I wouldn't worry about it unless you get errors or your discs start looking worse or something. Go vertical if you're sure the thing won't topple and you have little space, go horizontal if the space doesn't matter.

Currently I am Vertical. Its in safe spot :D
...So, no fps or any other performance problems with both positions. As long as I wont get any errors or disc selfdestruction I shouldnt be worry (lee) ? ok, sounds right.

Imo I think Vertical is better for cooling. 360 gets really hot from downside. And In verticall its a side so its much better ventilated.

JigenD
05-07-08, 02:27 PM
Imo I think Vertical is better for cooling. 360 gets really hot from downside. And In verticall its a side so its much better ventilated.

That may be helpful if you're in a hot environment. Supposedly the RROD comes from damage due to heating then cooling, but I've never had a RROD (DVD drives have died). I have A/C in my house, and the 360 is in an environ that rarely gets more than 80 degrees F.

ViN86
05-07-08, 02:31 PM
is this a serious question? :confused:

why would the orientation affect the reading speed or fps? if it did, why would they even add the option?

think.

HiCZoK4
05-07-08, 02:33 PM
That question was just of pure curiosity.

NaitoSan
05-07-08, 03:53 PM
i keep mine vertical because it looks cool. both ps3 and xbox360's on vertical. :D

Lyme
05-07-08, 07:31 PM
(w/opics)

HiCZoK4
05-08-08, 03:24 AM
As requested. As you can see its verticall.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/HiCZoK/DSC00552.jpg

Lyme
05-08-08, 09:27 AM
Your Atlas is upside down :(

HiCZoK4
05-08-08, 09:38 AM
Fixed:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/HiCZoK/DSC00547.jpg

nekrosoft13
05-08-08, 09:41 AM
picture is crooked

HiCZoK4
05-08-08, 09:44 AM
picture is crooked
Fixed:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/HiCZoK/DSC00548.jpg

|MaguS|
05-08-08, 09:48 AM
Is that an at&t phone box in the bottom?

HiCZoK4
05-08-08, 09:50 AM
Is that an at&t phone box in the bottom?
Yep. My W580i ftw (lee) (and some older boxes)