PDA

View Full Version : Buying Online

seeker
05-07-08, 05:15 PM
Most of the activity online that I have had so far has been with major venders, and has been okay so far, despite some minor glitches. However, my most recent purchase of a motherboard which arrived DOA has raised a question. Instead of the vender simply replacing the item from inventory, as others might, I had to wait a couple of days for him to send me an RMA number, and instead of shipping it to him, I had to send it to his distributer in his name. When I balked at this, he asserted that this was the practice of ALL resellers. Of course, I knew this wasn't true of the better known online venders, but after thinking about it, I thought that he was defining "reseller" differently than I did. It appears that his definition was a seller who did not maintain any inventory, or perhaps only a few items that he had on consignment from his supplier...is this the correct definition? I want to know for future buying decisions, because this has caused me to wait for a replacement longer than I normally would expect. With minor items, it wouldn't really matter, but when I'm waiting on a critical item, it does. How would one determine if a seller was a reseller or not, from a typical online website?

seeker
05-12-08, 07:29 PM
I just found this:

http://www.resellerratings.com/

Odd that I found the link on ZipZoomFly because their rating does not flatter them at all. I just bought a couple of harddrives from them, I hope that I will be one of their happy customers. Who had the highest rating...ClubIt. Since their list was of just about every name that you normally hear of and more, it would appear that the definition of reseller that I gave above is incorrect, because some of them do carry their own inventory.