PDA

View Full Version : very small sound problem

bob saget
05-07-08, 06:41 PM
so i have the 5.1 altec lansing speakers. I only use them to listen to music, and the things get the job done. I also have the external sound blaster 24 bit card.
Now when i try to play music through WMA, only the front 3 and the subwoofer work, i am getting no sound out of my rear speakers, just hiss. I used to have sound, and remember fiddling with something, and got it to work. Then after moving my computer around, i lost it :(

When i go to control panel --> sound. I see Speakers and SPDIF out. When i click on speakers to configure, and test the 5.1 setting, i hear the chime from the rear speakers, but when i try to play music, there is nothing. I have the vista 64 bit drvers installed from creative site.

This is not a MAJOR problem because the hiss is very very quiet, and there is not much power going to the back speakers anyways, i would still like to do something to clear this up.

Thanks as always.

duffy_chucky
05-07-08, 07:50 PM
so i have the 5.1 altec lansing speakers. I only use them to listen to music, and the things get the job done. I also have the external sound blaster 24 bit card.
Now when i try to play music through WMA, only the front 3 and the subwoofer work, i am getting no sound out of my rear speakers, just hiss. I used to have sound, and remember fiddling with something, and got it to work. Then after moving my computer around, i lost it :(

When i go to control panel --> sound. I see Speakers and SPDIF out. When i click on speakers to configure, and test the 5.1 setting, i hear the chime from the rear speakers, but when i try to play music, there is nothing. I have the vista 64 bit drvers installed from creative site.

This is not a MAJOR problem because the hiss is very very quiet, and there is not much power going to the back speakers anyways, i would still like to do something to clear this up.

Thanks as always.

if sound test return you sound on back speakers, it works.
the problem is located in sound source itself :

your music is probably only stereohaul . left / right. you need to rebalance this 2 channel sound source, to a 5 channel. you are telling that your sub is working. it's a good start.

look on your pannel , and search for a feature who resend left/right to back speakers. "foobar" has an embeeded plugin who does the job i think.

bob saget
05-07-08, 07:54 PM
if sound test return you sound on back speakers, it works.
the problem is located in sound source itself :

your music is probably only stereohaul . left / right. you need to rebalance this 2 channel sound source, to a 5 channel. you are telling that your sub is working. it's a good start.

look on your pannel , and search for a feature who resend left/right to back speakers. "foobar" has an embeeded plugin who does the job i think.

can you explain that a little better please? thanks for reply.

EDIT: it used to work before with the same music, and i just tried the nob with "surround" written on it, the hiss in the rear speakers becomes louder....so i guess they work....

EDIT2: had to select full range speakers and surround speakers. Fixed now :D