PDA

View Full Version : GRID Demo out on Marketplace

Pages : [1] 2

JaylumX
05-08-08, 05:16 AM
Downloading as we speak. Demo is a juicey 800mb (nana2) :captnkill: :afro:

NarcissistZero
05-08-08, 05:35 AM
Cool... something to play when I get home tonight!

JaylumX
05-08-08, 05:41 AM
Wow . I have never seen soooo many cars on screen at once .......and it runs soooo smooooothly - like a greased up whipet. Fans of DIRT will love the graphics. Handling is arcade but then again that is what i like and best of all controling the car is very good. Also there is damage. Go download and find out

I might give it a dosage judging from the demo. Gonna play some more.

christos
05-08-08, 07:03 AM
Are the graphics really as amazing as the trailers that have been released?

I'm looking forward to downloading this later from the PSN.

quant0r
05-08-08, 07:04 AM
I have been looking forward to this game for a while. Any idea if the demo is coming out on PSN?

christos
05-08-08, 07:16 AM
I have been looking forward to this game for a while. Any idea if the demo is coming out on PSN?

It's coming out today.

christos
05-08-08, 10:49 AM
Top 5 lap times by EU players get to race head to head live in some store in London with the winner getting a new BMW 3 series. Nice!

I hope (but doubt) Codemasters will have a similiar competition in the US.

http://www.virginmedia.com/games/gamingnews/news-story.php?storyid=24551347

Mr_LoL
05-08-08, 10:53 AM
The demo still isn't out on the delaystation.

brady
05-08-08, 11:14 AM

Or the PC. BOOOOOOOOOOO! :thumbdwn:

Marvel_us
05-08-08, 11:19 AM

PSN doesn't get updated this early. Usually it's later in the day.

|MaguS|
05-08-08, 11:41 AM
It's available now on the Euro PSN Store.

christos
05-08-08, 12:09 PM
Played the PS3 demo, huge disappointment :(

In what ways? I was looking forward to this and am about to download it from the EU store.

christos
05-08-08, 12:43 PM
Played the PS3 demo, huge disappointment :(

Ok, downloaded and tried it out. I agree, I'm disappointed. However, the San Francisco track with the Mustang, front bumper camera definitely look and feels better than the default track that I first tried with the BMW.

Also, there is a contest open to US residents where you could win the Mustang GT if you have the best lap time in the time trial.

In my opinion, GT5:P on the London track blows away this game on the SanFran track in every department. Sim or no sim, GT5:P just feels better and looks better and runs at double the FPS at a higher res. Then again this demo of GRID is not the final version, so I'll withhold judgement for now.

3DBrad
05-08-08, 12:54 PM
I don't see the GRID demo on PSN???

christos
05-08-08, 12:55 PM
I don't see the GRID demo on PSN???

EU store now. US store later.

kev13dd
05-08-08, 03:12 PM
So damage doesn't have an influence on driving? Aka, no blown turbo meaning you pretty much are screwed? That's kinda what made DiRT for me. While seeing the damage was cool too, knowing it meant something meant more

I have it downloaded but the Muse DLC is keeping me distracted for now

K

EDIT: Ok, so the game is awesome

First off, damage DOES affect your performance in the game. You crash into a wall, you damage your steering, and your car pulls to one side for the rest of the race. You damage your tires, they don't get as good of traction. You overheat your engine, your tops speed and acceleration are screwed

There are very similar visuals to DiRT, but seeing as DiRT is currently the best looking racer on the X360, GRID only improves and sets a new bar. Visuals are fantastic. Both the track, lack of frame rate dips, damage, car models, everything looks amazing. And on my 1080p HD monitor, barely any jaggies- especially none when you're fast

One thing about DiRT I liked was different rewards for different difficulties, and the same goes for GRID. Almost every setting you change modifies your rewards for each race. Driving assists, resets, difficult level, even certain camera settings will change your overall reward for a race

One thing I like (and hated) about DiRT was how unlucky I'd get when I clipped a rock, did a flip, and crashed into a tree, knocking off my tires and ME out of the race, within the first 30 seconds (I suck). I played with a friend which meant trading the controller back and forth after a total, so it really sucked having to wait 5 minutes to play 30 seconds. Enter GRID. You can turn on "flashbacks" where you get to watch a replay of your crash and pick which moment you would like to restart from. How many times I've crashed in DiRT and thought "ARGH, if I'd only turned a tiny bit to the right"

Another thing GRID does well that it learned from DiRT: menus. DiRT had one of the nicest menu systems and cool display of stats while races loaded. GRID looks pretty decent so far, and I hope the final version works good as well

I like it. I loved the rich outdoors scenes from DiRT, which Grid probably won't be giving me, but it's a great racing game. Anyone who liked DiRT should love GRID, and anyone who likes racing games should enjoy it as well

3DBrad
05-08-08, 04:47 PM
Just played it for a while (as the Mustang) and it's fantastic! One of the best looking racing games (if not the best) I've ever played! :D

Another thing: The environment/reflection maps are very well done, and you'd be hard-pressed to spot where it wasn't looking like real-time reflections. :D

quant0r
05-08-08, 05:03 PM
Anyone tried the win-a-bmw thing yet? I just played TT for about 30mins and beat the Codemasters World Record. I got my 'code' and went to visit the website to claim my prize (not really but hey). I entered by code and I wasn't evan on the leaderboard. In fact, I was 4 secs of the pace with 1min17sec.64. I think the leader board shows 1.14.10 or somthing!

Good luck on that one!

3DBrad
05-08-08, 05:06 PM
It has a big effect on driving. I hit the front wheel, and couldn't win the race anymore due to it pulling to the right all the time, but the burnouts were fun. :D

kev13dd
05-08-08, 05:58 PM
I noticed the damaged steering after a huge crash in T2. Problem is, I was still able to easily win the race with a wrecked car... The front of the car was completely destroyed but driving with a decent pace was still possible. That's just not realistic and that's why I said the damage system doesn't have any effect on the driving.
Bumpers and damaged hoods don't make an race ender. These are racing cars designed to take a bigger beating than your sedan at home. One crash and a pull isn't AND shouldn't end your race. 3-4 crashes with a pull and decreased performance engine-wise will influence your chance of winning. 1 crash? Tiny pull that's a minor inconvenience that reminds you not to crash again

Not to mention if the people you're racing against also crash and slow down. Damage DOES influence your cars performance, AND chances of winning, period. Something that no other game does

K

npras42
05-08-08, 06:02 PM
I'd get bored to death of a game (like the racing sims on the PC and F1 Grand Prix games) where you're out of the race after a minor to medium shunt. You know I'm not freaking Michael Schumacher, I want a challenging game, I don't want to have to take corners like my life depended on it.

turdhat
05-08-08, 06:49 PM
Love it. Dirt engine for sure but now with what looks like at least 4xaa and 8xaf AND a rock solid framerate that I would say is 45-50ish. Enough to be smooth as silk for sure.

Why didnt Dirt look this good ? My guess is the GPU drivers for the system have matured and that the engine is now multithreaded or using a better implementation of multithreading than before.. I really think that Dirt was single core because of its age. Programmers were still having a hard time with that..

npras42
05-09-08, 12:44 PM
That's the way it should be, a tiny mistake can end your race or at least force you to do repairs in the pits. That's racing!
Not this DIRT/GRID stuff...

If I was really interested in doing that then I'd go and race a car not play a video game. I like racing games and I like realism but I'd take a Forza/GT or the old Codies Race Driver/Colin McRae series over LFS or GTR or Grand Prix or all those other real sims anyday.

NarcissistZero
05-09-08, 02:17 PM
Game seemed same old, same old to me... Why play this when I have PGR4? Maybe I'm just not a huge racer fan, which is true, but I saw nothing in GRID that made me want to buy it.

Though I will say it looks great for how fast it runs.

nekrosoft13
05-09-08, 02:25 PM
Game seemed same old, same old to me... Why play this when I have PGR4? Maybe I'm just not a huge racer fan, which is true, but I saw nothing in GRID that made me want to buy it.

Though I will say it looks great for how fast it runs.

how about damage? doesn't PGR4 only have minor scuffs etc..