PDA

View Full Version : Best way to resize,shrink, and create a new parition?

ryan29121
05-08-08, 03:30 PM
Currently I have XP pro and Vista ultimate x64 installed and im trying to gather up some hard drive space to install Mac OS X. What is the best and easiest way I can make a partition with about 30-40 gigs of storage from my existing two partitions? Thanks in advance for your help.

seeker
05-08-08, 06:52 PM
Creating a partition is the easy part, you can do that in Windows Disk Management. When it comes to resizing a partition, that is a different matter. Some people use Partition Magic, but I have no experience with that. Achronis Disk Director is what I use, and it's pretty simple. I don't know anything about MAC OS X. but if it is like some Linux OSs, it may have the ability to resize a partition itself, but how reliable it would be, I don't know. Any time that I start out to resize anything, I make a backup image with Achronis True Image first. What ever program that you use, defrag first.

rage10
05-08-08, 06:56 PM
Currently I have XP pro and Vista ultimate x64 installed and im trying to gather up some hard drive space to install Mac OS X. What is the best and easiest way I can make a partition with about 30-40 gigs of storage from my existing two partitions? Thanks in advance for your help.
I use Norton partition magic. it has a very good turmoil lo help you learn how to use it. It cost me $90 usd 3-4 years ago though.

seeker
05-08-08, 07:09 PM
I use Norton partition magic. it has a very good turmoil lo help you learn how to use it. It cost me $90 usd 3-4 years ago though.
I can't compare the two programs, since I have not used PM, but the price alone is a good reason to try DD ($49.99). It is so simple that you don't need a tutorial, but it has one anyway. It also has a free trial available.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/index.html

EDIT: I just checked the price on PM, and it has gotten somewhat cheaper ($69.99), but neither it or DDS says anything about supporting Vista. I think that you could use it installed only on the XP partition though. I think that one reason that I didn't choose PM is because it is now owned by Norton, who I have never been very fond of.