PDA

View Full Version : To UAC, or not to UAC?...that is the question!

Pages : [1] 2

AngelGraves13
05-08-08, 05:49 PM
Ok, so another thread on UAC.

Some will agree with me, and others will tell me I'm stupid.

I find UAC to be the idiot's guide to security and safety. It doesn't actually do anything useful besides ask you if you really want to do what you're trying to do. If you're an experienced user, you've probably turned the bloody thing off all ready from the annoyance factor alone.

I've had UAC on for close to a year now and after all that time, it has done nothing but cause trouble for me. It has prevented my programs and games from running as at the privilege level that they desire, among other things.

The whole concept of UAC is rather dumb. You install a program...it asks if you want to run the installer. Well, let's see...no? yes? maybe? lol Of course you dummy!! So, once you give it the green light to run as Admin, it acts just as it would if UAC wasn't on in the first place. It will not ask you again if the installer runs a hidden installer. Is that safety or security to you?

If you know what you're doing, and you know what programs you're using and trust them, you're gonna give them the green light anyway. So, remove the traffic light that is UAC and drive as fast as you want.

....comments and insults go below.

npras42
05-08-08, 05:57 PM
No to UAC. Its fine for the general computer-illiterate populous out there but I don't think anyone thats the sort to frequent these forums would really need it.

grey_1
05-08-08, 06:29 PM
No to UAC. Its fine for the general computer-illiterate populous out there but I don't think anyone thats the sort to frequent these forums would really need it.
+1

I used to use it after initial launch, but it's been disabled from the start this time.

top3koms
05-08-08, 06:35 PM
I don't think there is a question ,in this case ,if you know what UAC is and how to disable it by all means it should be disabled.

crainger
05-08-08, 07:29 PM
One issue with having it off, is ANY program run on the PC gets admin rights, this shouldn't be a problem if you are careful with what you download and what sites you visit. I myself have it off.

IF you like teh crack sites and teh free pr0n. Definitely leave it on.

Bearclaw
05-08-08, 08:03 PM
I like teh free pRon and teh free hAshiSh. :bleh:

UAC FTL! It ****ing sucks. Anyone on this board should be able to have it off and not have problems.

crainger
05-08-08, 08:18 PM
Everyone except Digital_Trans and SLippe.

bacon12
05-08-08, 09:06 PM
If they really wanted something secure it should not have been a two click thru nag screen in the first place.

RAY16
05-08-08, 10:42 PM
I use the built-in admin account trick so I can have UAC enabled, but not active for my account. If I ever have somebody log into the guest account or if I ever have to create them a regular account UAC will be active for them, but not for me.

compuguy1088
05-08-08, 11:15 PM
I use it......ever since SP1 came out, the prompts have been reduced. It reminds me of sudo, in a way....

bacon12
05-09-08, 12:13 AM
I use it......ever since SP1 came out, the prompts have been reduced. It reminds me of sudo, in a way....

No it isn't like sudo. It should have been thou. A simple prompt for admin password would suffice.

At any rate no matter what you do you can't fix stupid, and stupid will install/run anything that catches their attention.

mcolbourn
05-09-08, 02:33 AM
As I have stated before I use semi UAC using TweakUAC
http://www.tweak-uac.com/

AngelGraves13
05-09-08, 03:21 AM
As I have stated before I use semi UAC using TweakUAC
http://www.tweak-uac.com/

Used it for a year. Gave up yesterday.

Badboy_12345
05-09-08, 03:24 AM
UAC is just for people that dont know how to use a computer

K007
05-09-08, 03:59 AM
OUR UAV IS ONLINE!!!!

mcolbourn
05-09-08, 04:43 AM
OUR UAV IS ONLINE!!!!

:jumping:

compuguy1088
05-09-08, 06:57 PM
No it isn't like sudo. It should have been thou. A simple prompt for admin password would suffice.

At any rate no matter what you do you can't fix stupid, and stupid will install/run anything that catches their attention.

It kind of is...in principle. UAC is actually more protective/annoying than sudo....

bacon12
05-09-08, 07:19 PM
It kind of is...in principle. UAC is actually more protective/annoying than sudo....

Why do you think it is more protective? UAC is a two click process, and users get used to just clicking twice when asked. I don't think sudo is more protective thou, like I said you can't fix stupid no matter what.

I think they are both only useful to someone that actually takes notice to what is going on when they prompt.

crainger
05-10-08, 09:25 PM
I now have it on in quiet mode. ::D:

jcrox
05-10-08, 09:51 PM
UAC is nothing more than a tool to confirm that a person doesn't know anything about a computer, they're going to click yes regardless of anything 99% of the time.

If, after a day two of use, you were to change the message that pops up to "By clicking yes you will wipe all data from your computer" I'd bet the percentage of people that clicked yes would be extremely high.

It's the 1st thing I disable when installing Vista

hell_of_doom227
05-10-08, 09:51 PM
UAC is annoying thing, nothing else for me.

Darkoz
05-11-08, 12:35 AM
Ok, so another thread on UAC.

Some will agree with me, and others will tell me I'm stupid.

I find UAC to be the idiot's guide to security and safety. It doesn't actually do anything useful besides ask you if you really want to do what you're trying to do. If you're an experienced user, you've probably turned the bloody thing off all ready from the annoyance factor alone.

I've had UAC on for close to a year now and after all that time, it has done nothing but cause trouble for me. It has prevented my programs and games from running as at the privilege level that they desire, among other things.

The whole concept of UAC is rather dumb. You install a program...it asks if you want to run the installer. Well, let's see...no? yes? maybe? lol Of course you dummy!! So, once you give computer it the green light to run as Admin, it acts just as it would if UAC wasn't on in the first place. It will not ask you again if the installer runs a hidden installer. Is that safety or security to you?

If you know what you're doing, and you know what programs you're using and trust them, you're gonna give them the green light anyway. So, remove the traffic light that is UAC and drive as fast as you want.

....comments and insults go below.

If you're the only one using the PC then of course it's a waste of time and absolutely useless, however if the PC is shared by the family and especially by others who are not computer literate then UAC may have some merit.
Otherwise first thing I do is get rid of it.

dxx
05-11-08, 03:37 AM
I've never seen the point of UAC.

PROGRAM X WOULD LIKE TO RUN. PUBLISHER IS 'microsoft corporation'. DO YOU WANT TO LET IT?

Yes / Cancel

Click Cancel. Oops, you've just blocked a Windows function from working. Try again.

PROGRAM X WOULD LIKE TO RUN. PUBLISHER IS 'microsoft corporation'. DO YOU WANT TO LET IT?

Yes / Cancel

Click Yes. Oops, you've just allowed a trojan compiled to tag itself as being authored by 'Microsoft Corporation' and named after a Windows function to run. Aren't you a loser?

We'll try one more time.

Yes / Cancel

Click, well, nothing. All of this flashing between bright desktop and dark UAC has given you a headache, and now, you're going to nip off for an aspirin and a glass of water. And what's this? UAC is a total gimmick.

AngelGraves13
05-11-08, 04:36 AM
I leave it on in my "Guest" account so they can't change anything or install anything. Other than that...it serves no purpose.

Wolfhound
05-11-08, 12:46 PM
I leave it on, is annoying but let me double check what Im giving permission to execute